*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Well it's arrived and I have had a little go with it (Xmas pressie for my lad), couldn't get the left trackpad to be the right mouse button as described on the MS website, so that I can attach Edge browser for Xbox Gamepass games.
Switched it off as he came home from school.
Such a nice parent. :) I hope he likes his gift! :)

I remember when I was 7, I wanted a PC so I could learn programming (I used to write code in my notebook) and my parents gave me a book about computers instead. :D

Associate
Got a 512gb Samsung to replace the dead SanDisk and I realised maybe the SanDisk was actually slightly faulty to begin with. When I first plugged it in my Deck couldn't format it and my PC had issues detecting it until I used diskpart to clean it. With the Samsung I didn't have to do that, Deck picked it up straight away.

Either way I increased my Windows install from 80 to 128gb so it can fit the lone Windows game I'm playing and using the SD card for SteamOS alone, and it's working much better now.
I can't count the number of failed SanDisk cards I've had through the years. Samsung ones are really good though. Only ever failed once on me.

Soldato
Just ordered one for my missus for Christmas. She is desperate to play The Sims, looks like theres a couple different ways to get the EA launcher on the deck, anyone here have a preference?

Associate
Do the mods in Fallout 4 from in game install and work on the deck with Steam OS or do I need to follow the SD card and windows pc guide?
When I installed Fallout 4 the 2 mods I had installed with the game as it is on my PC.

Soldato
Associate
Soldato
SteamDeck Tools will give you a better controller experience so it's worth doing instead of all the SWICD guff.
Completely forgot about that. I think the author is planning to update the controller part of the guide actually with SteamDeck Tools. Luckily it comes in 4 parts so you don't have to enable everything (performance overlay and power controls most likely won't be needed for her unless she likes fiddling with that sort of stuff). I'm personally sticking with SWICD for now though since the button remapping on SteamDeck tools is rather basic, I have a couple of back keys to call up the touch keyboard and screenshotting the game via Windows Game Bar.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Completely forgot about that. I think the author is planning to update the controller part of the guide actually with SteamDeck Tools. Luckily it comes in 4 parts so you don't have to enable everything (performance overlay and power controls most likely won't be needed for her unless she likes fiddling with that sort of stuff). I'm personally sticking with SWICD for now though since the button remapping on SteamDeck tools is rather basic, I have a couple of back keys to call up the touch keyboard and screenshotting the game via Windows Game Bar.

Its has plenty..

Steam + X = on screen keyboard
Steam + RB = Screenshot

Plus adding your own to back buttons.

Its superior to SWICD with barely any setup involved. Plus left trackpad allows scrolling anywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato

Its has plenty..

Steam + X = on screen keyboard
Steam + RB = Screenshot

Plus adding your own to back buttons.

Its superior to SWICD with barely any setup involved.
Can you map the back buttons to more than one key/button? Last time I checked it wasn't the case. I find it more comfortable/quicker using those compared to holding the Steam button + another key.

Associate
I've gone ahead and ordered one for my brother as a Christmas present last week (9th December) but I'm really apprehensive about GLS courier service.

I ordered a base station on the 29th of November and the status says in transit and hasn't changed for days.

I opened a ticket with steam support but they don't seem too bothered as it's still within their time frame (8 business days) so they say.. but it's been 11 days now and still nothing.

Has anyone else recently ordered anything from Steam? Any issues or am I just being impatient?

Thanks!

Soldato
I've gone ahead and ordered one for my brother as a Christmas present last week (9th December) but I'm really apprehensive about GLS courier service.

I ordered a base station on the 29th of November and the status says in transit and hasn't changed for days.

I opened a ticket with steam support but they don't seem too bothered as it's still within their time frame (8 business days) so they say.. but it's been 11 days now and still nothing.

Has anyone else recently ordered anything from Steam? Any issues or am I just being impatient?

Thanks!
GLS is EU based, once it reaches the UK they hand it off to Royal Mail. However due to the Royal Mail strikes they've been using Evri. Wouldn't surprise me if the delay was with either RM or Evri.

Permabanned
image.png
O1CN01V9Sew81RILmdxTkji_1589952088.jpg

Back
Top Bottom