*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I was thinking of upgrading my 512GB to 1TB, but the price of the SSD is putting me off. Will just grab another microsd I think. Is running games off microsd in Windows OK from a performance point of view? I know it decent in Steam OS.

Associate
As of today, 90% of games will not launch for me. They try, then show a spinning wheel loading thing, then it kicks me right back out. This is both within SteamOS and desktop. Did anyone experience this? It's doing my head in!

Associate
Just caught up with the last few pages. Real tempted to try Win11 on the deck.

When I looked into it few months ago I was reading it still ran pretty rubbish and was pointless.

Associate
I was thinking of upgrading my 512GB to 1TB, but the price of the SSD is putting me off. Will just grab another microsd I think. Is running games off microsd in Windows OK from a performance point of view? I know it decent in Steam OS.
I've tried installing gamepass games microsd, but they keep failing at 100%. Has anyone had this?

Soldato
Oh great, I think my SD card is borked. I can still read off from it but any writing, reformatting or even using diskpart to clean the SD card fails. I did however use this as a Windows To Go install for about a month before moving Windows onto the internal drive, I have a feeling that must've helped shorten its lifespan. Definitely going to upgrade to 1tb once they become more affordable.

Soldato
@hyperseven the fella who has made them power tools has added steam controller support now so you don't have to use SWICD anymore. Running really nicely. Also left trackpad allows you to scroll up and down in windows.

Also he's added more features on the latest debug, such as GPU frequencies etc.

It now auto-updates and comes with an installer for ease of use :)

Permabanned

Soldato
As of today, 90% of games will not launch for me. They try, then show a spinning wheel loading thing, then it kicks me right back out. This is both within SteamOS and desktop. Did anyone experience this? It's doing my head in!
Have you tried deleting the proton files then relaunch? I had this issue with the EA games but this sorted it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Oh great, I think my SD card is borked. I can still read off from it but any writing, reformatting or even using diskpart to clean the SD card fails. I did however use this as a Windows To Go install for about a month before moving Windows onto the internal drive, I have a feeling that must've helped shorten its lifespan. Definitely going to upgrade week to 1tb once they become more affordable.
Yep, Windows to go isn't good. It will definitely be that.

Associate
Have you tried deleting the proton files then relaunch? I had this issue with the EA games but this sorted it.
Turns out, I had filled my primary drive when installing new games and when deleting things to free up space, or moving games to SD card, files still remained resident. I had to switch to desktop and empty the trash. Seems like a simple fix but honestly, it wasn't among the first 20 things I tried :cry:

Associate
Well it's arrived and I have had a little go with it (Xmas pressie for my lad), couldn't get the left trackpad to be the right mouse button as described on the MS website, so that I can attach Edge browser for Xbox Gamepass games.
Switched it off as he came home from school.

Soldato
Got a 512gb Samsung to replace the dead SanDisk and I realised maybe the SanDisk was actually slightly faulty to begin with. When I first plugged it in my Deck couldn't format it and my PC had issues detecting it until I used diskpart to clean it. With the Samsung I didn't have to do that, Deck picked it up straight away.

Either way I increased my Windows install from 80 to 128gb so it can fit the lone Windows game I'm playing and using the SD card for SteamOS alone, and it's working much better now.

Back
Top Bottom