*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
GLS is EU based, once it reaches the UK they hand it off to Royal Mail. However due to the Royal Mail strikes they've been using Evri. Wouldn't surprise me if the delay was with either RM or Evri.
Yeah my GLS details state it’s going to be a PF delivery which isn’t ideal given the last couple of days but probably better them than Evri.

Permabanned

Soldato
It really is great the deck, a tinkerer's delight. Enjoy.

I've spent a month tweaking the absolute balls off mine since getting it, and getting various games and all emulation set up on it.

I've actually stuck with Steam OS (I was convinced I'd Windoze it before I got it), but through blood sweat and tears and a lot of learning, I've grown to really quite like Steam OS and linux, and can make it do everything I want. So far anyway....

Last edited:
Associate
I bought one of these for my partner for Christmas, spent some time setting it up yesterday (emudeck, she mostly plays old games) and am pretty impressed with it so far. Tempted to get one for myself :p. Only slight problem I noticed is that the fan was quite noticeable at times even when just sitting in the games library. Hopefully when actually playing it'll be ok though.

Soldato
Destiny 2 (Windows - SD) on my lunch break = :D:D

Pretty much a locked 60FPS (1280x800 (90%), All Low , Textures on High) with occasional stutters due to the SD card throughput not being high enough for the streaming / LoD elements. Perfectly playable for its purpose though.

Soldato
Been playing Crisis Core, I'm so glad I decided to get this on the Deck. Switch was an option too but side by side comparisons being able to play at 40/60 on the Deck vs the Switch's 30 was a no brainer.

Permabanned

Last edited:
Associate
Well, upgraded the ssd today to a 256gb. Install of parts went easy, but what a PITA the software reinstall was. Had to reboot numerous times for it to recognize the usb stick and then start installing. Then when it finally finished and restarted, I started entering details again and it got stuck in the updating loop with an error. Eventually managed to get past that and now it's back up and running properly again.

Associate
The biggest stability increase for my deck has been setting the swap file to 16gb and changing its 'swappiness' value using the CryoByte33 Steam Deck Utilities

That fixed the plentiful crashes in Midnight Suns and the deck just seems to be more stable when gaming overall.
Yea i did that modlast night for GOW and makes it run better also did the 4gb vram one in bios

Associate
BOught this cover, wasn't expecting it to arrive before Christmas, but I'm quite impressed. Intention was to be able to drop the deck into a bag without the faff of the official case. Much easier to pull out, flip the top and play and honestly I think I'll use it a lot more on the go now.

Tolerances are super tight, so it was a small battle to get it on, but it feels super solid, albeit adding some heft. Massive bonus- it still fits inside the official case.

£29 from a popular online retailer (newest version- older version was reported to push the joypads unintentionally).

cover1.jpeg
cover2.jpeg
cover3.jpeg

Soldato
Really tempted by one of these. I've got a few questions:

1. Is it correct that the 64gb runs slower memory, so realistically you should plump for the 256 plus SD cards at a minimum?

2. I'd be replacing a laptop with one of these. The laptop is rarely used for productivity stuff (as that's mostly done on my work laptop), but presumably in a pinch I could dock the Steam Deck and plug in a keyboard, monitor, and mouse?

3. What controllers does this support? Presumably when using it docked you can use an Xbox controller wirelessly?

4. How is Windows on it? I play a bit of ARMA with friends, which doesn't run on Steam OS (as far as I know). Obviously I'd be doing that docked with a mouse and keyboard...

5. Does anyone dual boot Steam OS and Windows? Or is there no benefit to this, and if you're installing Windows you may as well so so fully?

Associate
Really tempted by one of these. I've got a few questions:

1. Is it correct that the 64gb runs slower memory, so realistically you should plump for the 256 plus SD cards at a minimum?

2. I'd be replacing a laptop with one of these. The laptop is rarely used for productivity stuff (as that's mostly done on my work laptop), but presumably in a pinch I could dock the Steam Deck and plug in a keyboard, monitor, and mouse?

3. What controllers does this support? Presumably when using it docked you can use an Xbox controller wirelessly?

4. How is Windows on it? I play a bit of ARMA with friends, which doesn't run on Steam OS (as far as I know). Obviously I'd be doing that docked with a mouse and keyboard...

5. Does anyone dual boot Steam OS and Windows? Or is there no benefit to this, and if you're installing Windows you may as well so so fully?

1. Not so you'd notice- 64Gb is eMMC, 256+ are NVMe. Very little practical difference.
2. Absolutely yes.
3. I've used a wired (Xbox) and Bluetooth (8bitDo) controllers with no issues. If Linux supports it, it should work.
4. No idea, happy with SteamOS, but some here are having a decent experience with Windows.
5. Looks like some here dual boot, might need a bit of faffery to keep working after updates. That's half the fun though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom