*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

1 x internal SDD - For use with the OS (games do not install on this?)
1 x swappable SD card - for use with games
OS AND games are installed on the internal SSD. the SDcard acts like it would putting an extra drive on a pc. you can choose to install games on that OR the internal.

currently I am putting all steam games on my internal drive and my epic store games on an sdcard

is there a list of epic gamestore games which work on the deck using the heroic launcher

so far among us Abe's oddy remastered and mothergubship works great

however fallguys would not work , neither would Horace or centipede .

there may be a way around it but not looking for too much hassle.

Last edited:
Applied a screen protector to the deck, perfect alignment with no dust and bubbles. Took 2 tries though. Very please with myself.

However, I do notice the touch sensitivity has gone down with it attached, need to press "harder". Not really problem as I don't use the touch screen except when I shut down, but something to bear in mind for anyone wanting to do it.

Applied a screen protector to the deck, perfect alignment with no dust and bubbles. Took 2 tries though. Very please with myself.

However, I do notice the touch sensitivity has gone down with it attached, need to press "harder". Not really problem as I don't use the touch screen except when I shut down, but something to bear in mind for anyone wanting to do it.
Noticed that, when I applied the Jsaux one yesterday, I’m trying not to always use the touch screen but is becomes so natural when using a handheld device.

Noticed that, when I applied the Jsaux one yesterday, I’m trying not to always use the touch screen but is becomes so natural when using a handheld device.

Which is strange because i put screen protectors on almost everything i have lol I even applied it to an iPad once..I currently have it on my iPhone, Switch and I don't find the sensitivity on them to be any different. I wonder why I can tell the difference on the Deck.

Has anyone worked out the PC vs Deck cost to run per hour? Lots of variables but I'm imagining pence per hr difference..?

40Wh battery can be drained in 90mins, vs say a 400W sustained load on a PC (?) let me get my calculator out..

27W for 4hrs per day is 39.4Kwh per year
400W for 4hrs per day is 584Kwh per year

My elec is 33.76p/kwh

So £13.30 vs £197.. Is that even remotely right?

I've been using the Deck pretty much for a whole week just to test, and I save about 50p a day according to my smart meter. Granted I'm not playing much, on average about 3 hours on a weekday.

I already had this money set aside from last year when I preordered it so I don't really count it as something that could've gone into bills.

I've been using the Deck pretty much for a whole week just to test, and I save about 50p a day according to my smart meter. Granted I'm not playing much, on average about 3 hours on a weekday.

I already had this money set aside from last year when I preordered it so I don't really count it as something that could've gone into bills.
after pulling someone's leg about it earlier today ,. today rather than having the TV on (70 inch LCD semi energy efficient) and a sound bar, with android media box, I have been playing on my steamdeck with my lad who was on his switch

and the drop in energy we have used is significant. without the deck and the switch we would have had a mix of TV and gaming on my pc and I doubt the battery would have lasted much beyond 2pm meaning I would have been using the dirtiest energy from the grid.

today our house battery (with usable 6kwh of energy) lasted till just gone 7pm. solar panels generated 2kwh..... but I didn't use a drop of power from the grid till after 7pm in the middle of December which is remarkable really. that in a large part has to be down to the handheld devices..

Last edited:
Mine just got poorly.

Played a batteries worth of Doom Infinite, got the 3% battery warning and it stuttered and slowed down like mad. Suspended it, went and got the charger and plugged it in. Doom had hung, so I quit. Still sluggish.

Reboot time. Now it doesn't get past the SteamDeck logo. Guess it's reimage time.

Edit - that didn't do it. Need to go into the BIOS and put the battery into transport/storage mode, wait 10 mins then power on with the adapter plugged in.
That actually sounds like a similar battery issue I had.
Was playing Elden Ring, charger plugged in but I didn't realise it wasn't on at the wall.
Had a warning I had 3% battery and the deck shutdown, stuck it on charge overnight and forgot about it.
Next day, completely unresponsive, numerous conversations with Valve support and eventually we got it back using battery travel mode.
However my gfx card was then locked at 300Mhz, reported it and immediate RMA

Install it via SD card to your internal ssd, don't use windows to go (running windows from sd card) and you'll be fine.

Out of interest, why?

I only ordered mine last week after doing lots of reading and guides on Windows and emulators and plenty mention installing to go on an SD card so I had assumed it was fine.

Out of interest, why?

I only ordered mine last week after doing lots of reading and guides on Windows and emulators and plenty mention installing to go on an SD card so I had assumed it was fine.
SD cards aren't designed to have constant read/writes which the way Windows does it, it kills them. Not to mention performance is worse and if you're copying stuff to SD while using Windows, you won't be able to do ANYTHING in the background as it's copying over. I've spoken to many people in a Steam Deck discord whom have killed their SD cards via Windows to go, so if you don't want to keep buying new ones, I'd recommend installing Windows onto the internal drive or dual booting if you want Steam OS too.

P.S I tried it when I first got my Deck, it was a crap experience, I immediately switched to internal SSD and all is good :)

Last edited:
Fair enough, there's really only one PC game I play that isn't on Steam so was going to be an exception rather than rule thing anyway.
Just heads up I did have an SanDisk die in due to Windows to go. Moved Windows to the internal SSD, partitioning enough for Windows and the one game I play, then using my replacement Samsung SD purely for SteamOS and it's working much better.

i have a few questions for folk here using the heroic launcher. probably me being thick but.....

1) I installed epic store freebie cave story. the controls were bad but I was able to download a custom controls profile for it and it worked fine..... however unlike the steam native games the control profile does not appear to be per game and it set the controls for ALL my heroic games. This is a pita. is there anyway to save per game profiles and it auto change to the controls ?

2) there is an option in heroic to add to steam library. I click this and it says it is done, but when i exit heroic and go to steam the games are still not showing in my library.

please help. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom