*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
I think you're missing the whole point of the Deck. As mentioned above, Valve sells software, not hardware. Developers adore a consistent hardware spec to target (just look at watch the Switch can do after 8 years) and this is probably the first popular mass-produced fully-fledged PC hardware standard we've seen. In a way "Steam Deck Verified" is much more important to Valve than 60Hz in AAA titles, and it's important to game developers as it's a captive market ready to buy the next title that appears with a "Verified" tag.

I understand that PC gamers are used to yearly refreshes and constant shiny trinket to buy. The deck isn't that, and there are loads of other options if you want that. The Deck is a vehicle to sell Steam Software. The bits they will want to address and improve are battery capacity, runtime and to a lesser extent, cost.
I’m really not. Your argument only works where steam is selling exclusive content, they are not. You can run steam on other devices along side a bunch of other app stores so it’s not a captive market at all.

If you can get a better/different device than a steam deck to run your steam software or worse, other games stores/launchers, valve will be losing sales to other hardware and harming its install base. Like it or not, devices like the Ally are real competitors and they will not be the last. Dell demo'd a ‘deck’ device before the steam deck actually launched. I’d be surprised is there wasn’t an MSI and Gigabyte handhelds in the next year.

The desks USP was/is the price. However, they are not currently selling the two cheaper tiers which puts it much closer in price to it’s competition.

The switch is a closed platform and it’s the only platform to play Nintendo games and it’s Nintendo games that sell consoles not the rest of the library (mainly trash) on the store, it’s a very different proposition to the deck.

Soldato
The switch is a closed platform and it’s the only platform to play Nintendo games and it’s Nintendo games that sell consoles not the rest of the library (mainly trash) on the store, it’s a very different proposition to the deck.

I can play Switch games on other devices if I own the cartridges and a Switch to dump them. Nintendo also has mobile games :)

Soldato
I’m really not. Your argument only works where steam is selling exclusive content, they are not. You can run steam on other devices along side a bunch of other app stores so it’s not a captive market at all.

If you can get a better/different device than a steam deck to run your steam software or worse, other games stores/launchers, valve will be losing sales to other hardware and harming its install base. Like it or not, devices like the Ally are real competitors and they will not be the last. Dell demo'd a ‘deck’ device before the steam deck actually launched. I’d be surprised is there wasn’t an MSI and Gigabyte handhelds in the next year.

The desks USP was/is the price. However, they are not currently selling the two cheaper tiers which puts it much closer in price to it’s competition.

Valve would be stupid to not put out an SD2 in the near future, if only to keep the handheld market fresh and interesting.

I doubt they’re putting much thought into hardware profit, and I’d bet that they made more money on Vampire Survivor sales than ASUS will make on Ally sales.

The PC handheld market will need to find a sweet spot. ASUS have an overspeced device given the limited power budget, although I’m sure they could improve performance with software and firmware updates.

Associate

Wasn't comparing the Switch to the Deck. Merely that it's a good example of what developers can do great things with a single hardware spec. The concept of selling the platform at a loss/cheap and reaping profit from the software sales is the same though. Exclusive content doesn't enter into it- Steam already dominates the PC gaming market.

The Ally is absolutely a real competitor. And I bet they struggle to sell half the volume of the Deck. But even if they outsell the Deck 10 to 1 and the market becomes flooded with value handhelds, Valve will be delighted as the Deck has done it's job- not to make money from hardware sales, but to tempt mobile players into the Steam ecosystem, not to mention showing the real hardware businesses that it can be done. Whatever happens Valve wins, and if they've played their cards right it wouldn't surprise me if Valve never release another device.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wasn't comparing the Switch to the Deck. Merely that it's a good example of what developers can do great things with a single hardware spec. The concept of selling the platform at a loss/cheap and reaping profit from the software sales is the same though. Exclusive content doesn't enter into it- Steam already dominates the PC gaming market.

The Ally is absolutely a real competitor. And I bet they struggle to sell half the volume of the Deck. But even if they outsell the Deck 10 to 1 and the market becomes flooded with value handhelds, Valve will be delighted as the Deck has done it's job- not to make money from hardware sales, but to tempt mobile players into the Steam ecosystem, not to mention showing the real hardware businesses that it can be done. Whatever happens Valve wins, and if they've played their cards right it wouldn't surprise me if Valve never release another device.
Reckon they'll team up with a manufacturer next time out? Ally but with SteamOS?

Soldato
They did mention they're open to allowing SteamOS to other handhelds. Once it's more polished with a public image available I'm expecting to see a couple pop up.
Would definitely make sense. Basically free advertising for Steam, and their store will always be the first thing you see.

Soldato
Tbh, I think Valve have dropped the ball with Steam OS (I mean given outside of the deck it's currently dead)
Building an OS is far from trivial. It's drastically different to Asus throwing some widgets at a Windows installation.

Making it available for general use is another story.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tbh, I think Valve have dropped the ball with Steam OS (I mean given outside of the deck it's currently dead)

Care to elaborate? I only got to try the release version myself as I only had a steam deck for a week or so before selling it. But as I understand it has come a long way since?

Caporegime
Care to elaborate? I only got to try the release version myself as I only had a steam deck for a week or so before selling it. But as I understand it has come a long way since?

Steam OS isn't new.
I mean the version on Steam Deck is version 3 (And 3.5 at that).

But at the moment it's only on the deck, whereas people who have been using SteamOS like the last 8 years are SOL.

I'm saying about their wider SteamOS releases.

SteamOS 3.5 is awesome, I can clearly see people sticking it on their desktop's to get away from Windows. But it's yet to be seen

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Steam OS isn't new.

But at the moment it's only on the deck, whereas people who have been using SteamOS like the last 8 years are SOL.

SteamOS 3.5 is awesome, I can clearly see people sticking it on their desktop's to get away from Windows. But it's yet to be seen
Just remember that while it may be V3, it’s a completely new OS based on Arch Linux (previous versions were Debian), so I’m only really considering the development of this release and how rapidly it’s being developed.

Caporegime
Just remember that while it may be V3, it’s a completely new OS based on Arch Linux (previous versions were Debian), so I’m only really considering the development of this release and how rapidly it’s being developed.

I get that, and agree the work in SteamOS is great. But it's really in Valves interests to make this available for the public. I think they're missing a trick.

Soldato
I get that, and agree the work in SteamOS is great. But it's really in Valves interests to make this available for the public. I think they're missing a trick.
100% agreed, but what I mean is that it actually hasn’t been in development for long (V3), especially when you consider how complicated it is.

One good example is sleep state, which Windows struggles with massively. Once they release it, they’ll get a lot more development help via the community.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Steam OS isn't new.

If Microsoft keep heading in the current trajectory then that may happen. I refuse to use anything but a local account. If they force the issue I may just dual boot and make steamos my main os and use Windows for the odd thing that can't manage.

Soldato
If Microsoft keep heading in the current trajectory then that may happen. I refuse to use anything but a local account. If they force the issue I may just dual boot and make steamos my main os and use Windows for the odd thing that can't manage.
Why not start using Ubuntu or pop os?

You can play steam games etc on any Linux os

Back
Top Bottom