*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

B&W

B&W

Soldato
I did valves test, and it was losing 1.5% every hour. I've since done there reset process thing, and will have a look this week if I get time to see if it improved things. One thing I will say is that it wouldn't charge more than 93% before, but was reporting fully charged. /facepalm.
How do you do this test and reset process thing?

Associate
Finally got Emudeck set up and working. Not a painless process for me- needed faffing and three reinstallations to install/register the cores properly, but I'm not complaining as it's a lot easier than doing it all manually.

It highlighted the need for more storage though as I needed to shuffle and move some Steam games to make space for ROMs (512Gb deck + 512Gb SD). So I put a 1Tb Sabrent Rocket in the deck. That was really easy- cloned my deck SSD using Macrium and an NVMe enclosure, so it was basically plug and play.

Associate
Yeah that was my intention- Steam games on the SSD, everything else on the SD. I did hit a supposed bug trying to move any games back to SSD via Steam though (a "content locked" error). No big deal, with 1Gb broadband I uninstalled and reinstalled, but with a slower connection it could be really annoying having to manually move stuff.

Soldato
How do you do this test and reset process thing?

STEP ONE (Before I reported back to them):

We have a few tasks and questions for you to help us determine how to address the issue.
  1. Go to desktop mode and click on the battery icon in the lower-right system tray. Do you see any warnings there regarding your battery health? If you do see a warning, please provide us with a photo of how it appears in the UI.
  2. Let the unit charge using the original power supply until it shows at least 90%, ensure no games are running, then unplug it and leave it idle. Check back every 60 minutes. Let us know approximately what percentage you are losing per hour.
  3. Plug the unit back in using the original power supply and confirm for us whether or not it continues to lose % while on the charger.

STEP TWO (After I gave them the info from this):

Please try temporarily switching your Steam Deck into battery storage mode:​
  • Power the Steam Deck down normally (choose Shut Down from the Power menu). If you can't access the menu, you can force a shutdown by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds.
  • Hold the "Volume +" button down and press the Power button once. Continue holding the "Volume +" button until you hear the system chime, then release and wait. The Steam Deck should boot into the BIOS menu within a couple minutes.
  • Using the D-Pad and A to select, navigate to "Setup Utility"
  • Navigate to the Power Menu
  • Choose Battery storage mode, and confirm.
You should see the Steam Deck power off, and the power LED will blink three times to confirm battery storage mode has been activated.​
Wait a few minutes, then plug the Steam Deck in using the provided power supply and turn on the Steam Deck.​
If the behavior persists, please contact us again. We'll provide further assistance.​
Steam Support​

Soldato
What do we think Valves next move is?

The two cheapest Decks are now out of stock with no option or order (with the cheapest being out of stock for a few weeks now) and the Ally is launching this week which is A LOT faster but is £140 more expensive than the top end Deck.

Dropping to a single SKU and a price drop? Spec bump?

Soldato
What do we think Valves next move is?

The two cheapest Decks are now out of stock with no option or order (with the cheapest being out of stock for a few weeks now) and the Ally is launching this week which is A LOT faster but is £140 more expensive than the top end Deck.

Dropping to a single SKU and a price drop? Spec bump?

I think the single SKU makes sense, but if it's a price drop it won't be much I imagine. They did make it 10% during a sale recently, so maybe they'll try and hit something like £529, then £499 in the next sale.

It seems this Ally is getting praise but surely something like this lives and dies based on the OS and settings it has to offer? I think that is where it will fall over, but time will tell.

As for a spec bump/Steam Deck 2, I think it will happen, just not this year. I wonder, bar CPU/GPU what they could actually improve? Like I'd rather have an OLED screen or 1080p (60hz is fine for handheld, no idea why Ally went 120hz!!) and maybe some more battery, but I'm not sure that's really possible right now. What I would say is don't change the shape/size of it because I really think (with a Killswitch case) that it's perfect.

Soldato
The obvious spec bump is the same chip as the Ally.

As for software, the ally is just windows at the end of the day. MS/Asus have some UI work to do but ultimately every game runs as you’d expect it to run without any messing around which for me is a clear advantage for Asus.

I think for the deck, they could get away with dropping the etched screen and the price to under under £500 so (£200+ cheaper than the Ally). They could probably make that work for awhile yet.

The Ally isn’t cheap and what made the deck accessible was that £400ish version but that seems to have gone away for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
The obvious spec bump is the same chip as the Ally.

As for software, the ally is just windows at the end of the day. MS/Asus have some UI work to do but ultimately every game runs as you’d expect it to run without any messing around which for me is a clear advantage for Asus.

I think for the deck, they could get away with dropping the etched screen and the price to under under £500 so (£200+ cheaper than the Ally). They could probably make that work for awhile yet.

The Ally isn’t cheap and what made the deck accessible was that £400ish version but that seems to have gone away for now.
The SD excels because it’s a cutdown chip. In reality you don’t need 8 cores for a handheld so I’m hoping Valve work with AMD again for a custom APU that balances performance and battery life.

With the Ally 1080p is going to drain the battery, and you’ll likely never see 60fps+ anyway. I think Valve are smarter in their design whereas ASUS are just taking a laptop APU.

Soldato
With the Ally 1080p is going to drain the battery, and you’ll likely never see 60fps+ anyway.

Reviews seem to suggest otherwise and the screen is the same size as the desk so you don’t need to run the Ally at 1080p.

Zen 4 and RDNA 3 give it very real and significant performance advantages over the deck in the 15w profile.

Last edited:
Soldato
First reviews of the Ally say they’re struggling to get 4 hours of battery. In a few extreme cases the battery life is as low as 40 mins. The SD really shines with its implementation of SteamOS. The Ally just runs Windows at the end of the day which reviewers say is hard to use.

Soldato
Reviews seem to suggest otherwise and the screen is the same size as the desk so you don’t need to run the Ally at 1080p.

Zen 4 and RDNA 3 give it very real and significant performance advantages over the deck in the 15w profile.
1080p is a definite clarity improvement over the SD so I’d want to run it at that, which will use more resources.

No doubt the 7840u is an improvement over the SD APU, and over the 6800u, but it doesn’t feel substantial enough just yet. Still a good option for those who haven’t jumped into the market yet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Associate
The decks resolution for its tiny screen size is just fine, it's about 215 PPI at 7", hell even my 4K monitor at 43' works out to only 102 PPI and that's sharp enough even close up. 1080p or close to it at 7" is just overkill for no reason.

A few different screen PPIs and I see no complaints about these.

MacBook M1 Air 13": 227ppi
MacBook Pro 13": 227ppi
MacBook Pro 15": 220ppi
MacBook Pro 16": 226ppi
iMac 4K Retina 21.5": 219ppi
iMac M1 24": 218ppi
iMac 5K Retina 27": 217ppi

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The decks resolution for its tiny screen size is just fine, it's about 215 PPI at 7", hell even my 4K monitor at 43' works out to only 102 PPI and that's sharp enough even close up. 1080p or close to it at 7" is just overkill for no reason.

A few different screen PPIs and I see no complaints about these.

MacBook M1 Air 13": 227ppi
MacBook Pro 13": 227ppi
MacBook Pro 15": 220ppi
MacBook Pro 16": 226ppi
iMac 4K Retina 21.5": 219ppi
iMac M1 24": 218ppi
iMac 5K Retina 27": 217ppi

I disagree. A bunch of my games looked terrible. Could be due to screen size in general but I know for a fact they would look much better at a higher res.

I wants a higher res display for steam deck 2 for sure. They should make it 8" or so by getting rid of the ugly bezels too :D

Soldato
Deck 2 to play what? 99% of the current available library on Steam is likely to be handled by the current device (software compatibility issues with Proton aside) so what exactly would they be making it for? It makes no business sense to follow the hardware makers that are only interested in giving you something new each year, only to discard the old thing you had that was perfectly fine.

I don't see Valve releasing a follow up for at least 5 years from launch.

Happy if this post ages badly though. I would like and oled, bigger batter and 120hz :D

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Deck 2 to play what? 99% of the current available library on Steam is likely to be handled by the current device (software compatibility issues with Proton aside) so what exactly would they be making it for? It makes no business sense to follow the hardware makers that are only interested in giving you something new each year, only to discard the old thing you had that was perfectly fine.

I don't see Valve releasing a follow up for at least 5 years from launch.

Happy if this post ages badly though. I would like and oled, bigger batter and 120hz :D

We'll see. I can see Steam Deck 2 out by 2025.

Also seems you kind of do want a Steam Deck 2 anyway :cry:

Nothing wrong with choice. Why would Valve have to stop supporting the original steam deck? It will still play games at the lower resolution. Meanwhile the SteamDeck 2 will have a higher resolution, bigger and better screen, much better soc and be slick and less bulky.

When the time comes you will want one ;)

Back
Top Bottom