*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Of course I would. I wouldn't have found and joined OcUK if I wasn't a habitual upgrader...

I just don't think it makes sense for Valve as I imagine the primary goal for them was drive sales into Steam, a new bit of hardware won't change much of that at this point and the hardware itself won't be making them much, if anything.

Reactions: TNA
Of course I would. I wouldn't have found and joined OcUK if I wasn't a habitual upgrader...

I just don't think it makes sense for Valve as I imagine the primary goal for them was drive sales into Steam, a new bit of hardware won't change much of that at this point and the hardware itself won't be making them much, if anything.

Don't worry about what makes sense for them or not. Give me Steam Deck 2 baby. Mark my words, we will have it by 2025 :D

I agree, I'd bet on a successor within three years. Although my prediction is a light refresh only - improved screen (same resolution, I doubt OLED) and better battery life, perhaps a few ergo tweaks. A more efficient SOC at similar performance if we're lucky.

I agree, I'd bet on a successor within three years. Although my prediction is a light refresh only - improved screen (same resolution, I doubt OLED) and better battery life, perhaps a few ergo tweaks. A more efficient SOC at similar performance if we're lucky.

That would be very sad. Imagine waiting 3 years or so from the original and getting that. Even the Ally is better than that now.

They need to offer 1080p at least if not oled. Better soc and battery and just something that is less chunky.

Off travelling next week and I won't have internet, what games should I be looking at to keep me busy?

Cult of the lamb has been enjoyable, as is Horizon ZD. Already played Stardew to death and I don't enjoy Vampire Survivor.

I have downloaded the 3 Mass Effect remastered games, but that needs internet connectivity (stupid EA).

That would be very sad. Imagine waiting 3 years or so from the original and getting that. Even the Ally is better than that now.

They need to offer 1080p at least if not oled. Better soc and battery and just something that is less chunky.
No chance it’ll be a minor upgrade 2-3 years from now. The IPC uplift alone would see a decent upgrade.

I could see them offering 2 models (budget and high end). 1080p and 120Hz makes sense, not because games will run at 120, but for the VRR and better frame latency at something like 40fps.

na we will get one by end of this year or next year,

Think of the steam deck as a laptop. They get updated yearly!

You just made that up :p:D

Will be lucky if we get it at the tail end of next year. Certainly not this year.

I just hope that whatever they do they offer options again and don't try and sell it for silly moneys like the Ally.

I think £400 is a good price to target. I am happy with 64gb again and using an sdcard.

You just made that up :p:D

Will be lucky if we get it at the tail end of next year. Certainly not this year.

I just hope that whatever they do they offer options again and don't try and sell it for silly moneys like the Ally.

I think £400 is a good price to target. I am happy with 64gb again and using an sdcard.
why not? im sserious.

steam deck is just a laptop with a even smaller screen and no keyboard and laptops get updated yearly

Laptops are updated yearly by hardware peddlers. They trick you into thinking you need a new one each year or way before your old one needs to be replaced.

Valve are a software company primarily, they sell you hardware so you buy their software ;)

Last edited:
why not? im sserious.

steam deck is just a laptop with a even smaller screen and no keyboard and laptops get updated yearly

For starters their main engineer that made the steam deck said there won't be anything for a while. I know what you are saying, but it is just unlikely. 2024 would be the earliest :)

But it's not a laptop though, it's a handheld gaming console, and you won't find that custom specific chip in any laptop. I don't know why this being debated, it's not a laptop haha.
I agree, and it’s why I’d support Valve over the others.

The other handhelds are very laptop-like, whereas Valve created an actual product with a custom APU and custom software. The SD is more similar to a console.

Laptops are updated yearly by hardware peddlers. They trick you into thinking you need a new one each year or way before your old one needs to be replaced.

Valve are a software company primarily, they sell you hardware so you buy their software ;)

People are buying the 64GB model more than anything and GabeN has been quoted as saying getting to that price point was "painful"

It's a gateway to the Steam store - That's what they care about.

It’s not a laptop but is running commodity components what can be very easily updated. Valve have first mover advantage for a ‘fully formed’ mainstream product but that doesn’t mean they can rest on their laurels.

Gamers are really fickle and the steam deck can quite quickly fall out of the flavour of the month if valve are not careful. If the hardware falls out of date, which it seems to be doing others will capitalise and that is already happening.

Steam deck has better software for now but it also runs on Linux which creates other issues with compatibility which the mainstream don’t like dealing with.

Their rivals will just bung windows on it and call it good and while that has other issues like not being designed for a handheld. That doesn’t really matter once you get in game and every game will work because it’s just another PC.

The TLDR, valve shouldn’t rest on their laurels with the deck.

It’s not a laptop but is running commodity components what can be very easily updated. Valve have first mover advantage for a ‘fully formed’ mainstream product but that doesn’t mean they can rest on their laurels.

Gamers are really fickle and the steam deck can quite quickly fall out of the flavour of the month if valve are not careful. If the hardware falls out of date, which it seems to be doing others will capitalise and that is already happening.

Steam deck has better software for now but it also runs on Linux which creates other issues with compatibility which the mainstream don’t like dealing with.

Their rivals will just bung windows on it and call it good and while that has other issues like not being designed for a handheld. That doesn’t really matter once you get in game and every game will work because it’s just another PC.

The TLDR, valve shouldn’t rest on their laurels with the deck.
I think you're missing the whole point of the Deck. As mentioned above, Valve sells software, not hardware. Developers adore a consistent hardware spec to target (just look at watch the Switch can do after 8 years) and this is probably the first popular mass-produced fully-fledged PC hardware standard we've seen. In a way "Steam Deck Verified" is much more important to Valve than 60Hz in AAA titles, and it's important to game developers as it's a captive market ready to buy the next title that appears with a "Verified" tag.

I understand that PC gamers are used to yearly refreshes and constant shiny trinket to buy. The deck isn't that, and there are loads of other options if you want that. The Deck is a vehicle to sell Steam Software. The bits they will want to address and improve are battery capacity, runtime and to a lesser extent, cost.

Last edited:
I don't think Valve need to break their verified tag if they introduce a Steam Deck 2/Pro early as the moniker could just mean 1080p for them.

So Steam Deck verified would mean good on Deck 1 at 720p/800p and Deck 2 would be good at 1080p.

I don't think the Deck audience is perhaps that big of a pull for developer's, there's games already it struggles to run because it has limited GPU power. Returnal being one such example.

I mean I love my Deck and I've played it more than my PC in the last 5 months of having it.

Last edited:
I don't think Valve need to break their verified tag if they introduce a Steam Deck 2/Pro early as the moniker could just mean 1080p for them.

So Steam Deck verified would mean good on Deck 1 at 720p/800p and Deck 2 would be good at 1080p.

I don't think the Deck audience is perhaps that big of a pull for developer's, there's games already it struggles to run because it has limited GPU power. Returnal being one such example.

I mean I love my Deck and I've played it more than my PC in the last 5 months of having it.

Agreed. Don't think it has to break the verification at all. I think if they release one in 18-24 months we can easily get one that does 1080p and hit £400. 3nm soc should do it with ease I would imagine.

Back
Top Bottom