*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Anyone had any problems with sd card?
Mine has been working fine, but noticed it was no longer showing as storage in game mode. All the games installed on it still work, and it shows fine in desktop mode. Can't figure it out

Associate
I'm in the market for a gaming PC and a Linux system. I was going to get a gaming laptop with dual SSDs (one for Windows and one for Linux), and Windows would just be used for gaming but thinking about it, the Steam Deck with the Steam Dock might be the perfect option. I could play my steam games on it and I could use Linux as a desktop OS with a monitor plugged in.

Are there any downsides to this idea? It would cost £650 which seems reasonable.

Check you can install what you need for the desktop usage, for example Citrix Workspace is a no go.

Associate
I couldn't get it to work when I last tried, that reddit thread does say the workaround also no longer works.

It was a single moment when I needed it, so I've not tried since.

Point being is to check things you definitely need from your desktop work before moving across.

Soldato
I have had my 64GB deck for one week now and its far exceeded my expectations. I upgraded to the 1TB SSD immediately, and also added a 250GB SD card for emulations. Also added an anti glare screen protector, totalling approx. £500.

So far I've only really played GTA4 which runs almost perfectly with only a few frame dips in busy areas.

Also added Emudeck and put PCSX2 on there to play some PS2 games. I love how it integrates the games into your steam library with cover art, etc. The UI is fantastic and makes it so simple to pick up and play any game.

I also love the Linux desktop mode. I've only ever used Windows until now, but I enjoy the simplicity of Linux, with no annoying bloatware or adverts I don't want to see.

Overall a fantastic system and glad I bought one.

Soldato
I have had my 64GB deck for one week now and its far exceeded my expectations. I upgraded to the 1TB SSD immediately, and also added a 250GB SD card for emulations. Also added an anti glare screen protector, totalling approx. £500.

So far I've only really played GTA4 which runs almost perfectly with only a few frame dips in busy areas.

Also added Emudeck and put PCSX2 on there to play some PS2 games. I love how it integrates the games into your steam library with cover art, etc. The UI is fantastic and makes it so simple to pick up and play any game.

I also love the Linux desktop mode. I've only ever used Windows until now, but I enjoy the simplicity of Linux, with no annoying bloatware or adverts I don't want to see.

Overall a fantastic system and glad I bought one.
Similar feelings but have the 256GB SSD model and 512GB SD card. Havent yet upgraded the internal SSD. What SSD did you go for and waht cost?
I like to keep all Emudeck within Emulation station DE frontend. Anything else then I know is not emulated or within a different specific emulator (Like PCem or Sega Supermodel 3)

Soldato
Similar feelings but have the 256GB SSD model and 512GB SD card. Havent yet upgraded the internal SSD. What SSD did you go for and waht cost?
I like to keep all Emudeck within Emulation station DE frontend. Anything else then I know is not emulated or within a different specific emulator (Like PCem or Sega Supermodel 3)
I bought the SABRENT 2230 M.2 NVMe Gen 4 1TB SSD for £105. They made a very simple tutorial on YouTube on how to install and set it up.

Soldato
Had my fun with my Deck, but just prefer using my OLED Switch.

It's a fantastic bit of kit, played Cyberpunk flawlessly (in my opinion anyway).

Soldato
Good drive, seems to work fine with the Steam Deck but I had nothing but problems with it in a Surface Pro 9
I've not pulled the trigger yet, but I am down to 30GB on my SSD now so it'll probably happen at some point soon.

Loving how versatile the controls are on the Deck. I've recently installed Midtown Madness and selected to use a community control layout. Didnt know the left trackpad can be mapped to multiple keys or functions! The 4 back buttons are really useful too.
It means games like OpenRA (open source Redalert) are playable with the left trackpad acting as multiple easy to access hotkeys and right trackpad as mouse.

When I was looking at a Steam Deck or Ally I didnt even really consider the trackpads, but buying a 2nd hand Deck i'm finding I couldnt be without them. Even game menu and OS navigation is easy and no need to connect a mouse/docking station/hub.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Hi,

Just updated my deck to 2tb and having a problem.

I'm trying to move all my games to the internal storage but 1 game keeps failing, it gets to about 99% then fails with a "Content file locked" error.

I've rebooted several times, cleared proton files, nothing seem to work.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom