*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
I use a prebuilt Batocera image on a microsd for emulation, it is bootable from BIOS and was easy to add any missing games.
Sounds like a good idea if you know what you to play / play anything emulated.
For me ill pick up my Deck, open and select a game (steam/emulated) or app as i feel in the mood for. Use categories e.g. fighting, racing, puzzle from steam library or steam / non steam / favourites.

Love how its so customisable and SteamOS 3.5 seems to have made the menu system snappier and the screen pop from the new colour profile. Glad i upgraded already

Soldato
Running it myself since it went to preview, seems to be working very well so far and its nice having built in colour controls instead of using the plugin. No harm in trying it as you can always just switch straight back the official release channel.
Yep, been using it tonight and its great. I especially like the scaling mode, although fill oversizes things so you cant see the top and bottom of the image.
Overall though, snappier, better colours and just more polished in certain areas. On screen keyboard need options though, like reducing the size and moving it around easily. Its still aweful

Soldato
Anyone know of any Virtual CD/DVD equivalent to Daemon tools for the Steam Deck? Someone asked on Reddit and I posted the following

It's pretty poor there's no virtual optical drive software for the Steam Deck / Linux systems.
I connected an external USB drive and installed Deus Ex in Lutris, the disk/drive appears under removable devices and the disk is found and the game installs. So for some games work, I could create physical media from my ISOs that I created years ago before throwing most game disks out.

The problem with CDs / physical media is they take up space, scratch, take forever to install or cause corrupt installs due to even light scratchs. In the mid 2000s half the games I installed would fail the install process due to wear and tear plus games were becoming bigger and bigger. Some of 6 CDs. Not quite as bad as having games on 20 floppy disks, but still!

Granted, this was quite a nice feeling... :D

7mO5FDeh.jpg

SIU70Z1h.jpg

qzspKOZh.jpg

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Anyone know of any Virtual CD/DVD equivalent to Daemon tools for the Steam Deck? Someone asked on Reddit and I posted the following

It's pretty poor there's no virtual optical drive software for the Steam Deck / Linux systems.
I connected an external USB drive and installed Deus Ex in Lutris, the disk/drive appears under removable devices and the disk is found and the game installs. So for some games work, I could create physical media from my ISOs that I created years ago before throwing most game disks out.

The problem with CDs / physical media is they take up space, scratch, take forever to install or cause corrupt installs due to even light scratchs. In the mid 2000s half the games I installed would fail the install process due to wear and tear plus games were becoming bigger and bigger. Some of 6 CDs. Not quite as bad as having games on 20 floppy disks, but still!

Granted, this was quite a nice feeling... :D

7mO5FDeh.jpg

SIU70Z1h.jpg

qzspKOZh.jpg
Pretty neat but for this game it's 60p on GMG atm :p

Haven't looked into such tools for linux myself tbh though.

Soldato
Pretty neat but for this game it's 60p on GMG atm :p

Haven't looked into such tools for linux myself tbh though.
Granted yes, easier to buy some games but that was just a test. Just managed to get anothe game running by burning an ISO to a CD. First time ive done that in 10-15 years!

Soldato
:confused:
erm, its natively supported ! Has been from the mid 90's

Or do you mean through the decks UI ?

Within KDE if you right click a ISO file it will be in the list to mount. Not tried within the decks KDE environment though.

mfZhnER.png

Soldato
:confused:
erm, its natively supported ! Has been from the mid 90's

Or do you mean through the decks UI ?

Within KDE if you right click a ISO file it will be in the list to mount. Not tried within the decks KDE environment though.

mfZhnER.png

I've tried using 'Mount unmount ISO' which mounts ISOs in the dolphin file manager. This mounts them but the device appears hidden so when installing something it asks for the CD/DVD when launching the exe or setup.
e.g. Deus Ex above, with the physical media inserted, it installed fine as could see the drive. Without, I went pointed Lutris to the setup and it said no cd was present.

What OS is that above? Doesnt look like Steam OS. When you mount the 'Rave.iso' does it appear in 'Devices' or in 'Devices (hidden)' ?

Soldato
I've tried using 'Mount unmount ISO' which mounts ISOs in the dolphin file manager. This mounts them but the device appears hidden so when installing something it asks for the CD/DVD when launching the exe or setup.
e.g. Deus Ex above, with the physical media inserted, it installed fine as could see the drive. Without, I went pointed Lutris to the setup and it said no cd was present.

What OS is that above? Doesnt look like Steam OS. When you mount the 'Rave.iso' does it appear in 'Devices' or in 'Devices (hidden)' ?
Ah, I get you, No thats within Manjaro to be honest, Not looked on the deck. Will investigate now as curious.

Yes it does show within devices when mounted.

It should be the same within the steam decks Plasma version.

IIRC within Lutris if the game CD is mounted it will either ask for a mount point or search. It has been a long time though since I last installed of a CD so could be completely wrong !

Edit:
Will you need to tell Lutris where the mount point is under configure options of the desired game ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, I get you, No thats within Manjaro to be honest, Not looked on the deck. Will investigate now as curious.

Yes it does show within devices when mounted.

It should be the same within the steam decks Plasma version.

IIRC within Lutris if the game CD is mounted it will either ask for a mount point or search. It has been a long time though since I last installed of a CD so could be completely wrong !

Edit:
Will you need to tell Lutris where the mount point is under configure options of the desired game ?
I think the problem is because its only mounted as a hidden drive, Lutris / Proton cannot see the drive/ISO. When inserting physical media, it appears as an optical drive so it works fine.

My pretty sure there will be software or a way of properly mounting an ISO/BIN/Cue file.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the problem is because its only mounted as a hidden drive, Lutris / Proton cannot see the drive/ISO. When inserting physical media, it appears as an optical drive so it works fine.

My pretty sure there will be software or a way of properly mounting an ISO/BIN/Cue file.
I will have a set too tomorrow and have a look on the deck, just need to find an old game/cd to try :cry:

Associate
Is anyone able to start CP2077 Phantom Liberty in Heroic launcher after the latest update? Mine is hanging on the Nvidia/Bink screen. I've tried a repair, but no joy. I'm running Steam OS 3.6

Associate
Thought I was on for a delivery of mine (ordered last Weds) today as the GLS/Parcelforce tracking pages updated early this morning with out for delivery.

And then my latest update on Parcelforce at 12.03pm reads: 'Address problems (insufficient address)'.

My assumption is that this is likely not the true reason and is indicative of them not being able to deliver today. Sigh.

Soldato
1TB SD card arrived.
What's the best way to copy everything from my current 512GB SD card to the 1TB?

So far i've done the following.
Inserted new SD card into the Deck and formatted.
Inserted 512Gb card and copying everything to the Deck in a folder - This process is running now.

Insert 1TB card and copy everthing from Deck folder to this card.

When complete, i'll have ~500GB free on the 1TB and the 512GB card I'll format and use for Windows. I want to test Warzone 2 booting to Win10 on the SD card. If it fails, it can be formatted and no worries.

Emudeck is setup on the 512GB card so hopefully there are no issue moving it to another card. Guess I could clone the partition somehow, then extend it but doing this would need the external microSD card adapter I have. When I tried copying directly from card in Deck to adapter with SD card, it was slow as hell.
Its about 50-80MB/s current copying from card > deck

Update, well somethings has gone wrong. I connected the new SD card after formatting it and removing the 512GB one and in desktop mode there are no icons any opening folders or display properties doesnt work?! Game mode is perfectly fine and I reinserted the original card and the same happens on the desktop. Are things hiding outside the screen or something? In trying to fix this I found this post

A coulpe settings later and now all I get in desktop mode is a black screen. God I hate Linux.
Time to revert to Stable build and see if it sorts it

Thats sorted it, it came up in portrait mode but manage to change it to landscape. Guess i'll stick on stable build for the time being!

Edit.

I followed this guide to clonse the SD card to my new 1TB SD card - https://handheld.quest/posts/steam-deck-copy-microsd-card-contents-to-larger-drive/

All appeared to work fine but im unable to resize into the new space. It also cannot be mounted as it is.
Inserting the 1TB MicroSD card into a reader in Windows and opening DiskGenius it shows 'MicroSDCard(l:) (Damaged)

Anyone with Linux knowledge know whats happened, is it really damaged or maybe that's jsut how Windows is seeing the EXT4 linux partition.

VcfyRJC.png

B9W4ATa.png

OK, so I took out the MicroSD card and re-inserted it into the external reader where it was before, powered up the Steam Deck and could then resize it fine - so its not damaged.
One thing to note for anyone else if doing this process, power off, remove and re-insert SD card if it cannot be expanded. Maybe it wasnt inserted properly, although it cloned perfectly fine last night and didnt touch it after.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent screwdriver to undo the case screws?. Ive heard horror stories galore about people stripping the heads. Im going to upgrading the ssd at some stage and im just getting things ready. Theres loads of philips ph0 and ph1 drivers on the rainforrest but does anyone have any they recommend that they've used on their deck?

Back
Top Bottom