*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
What 1tb SSD drives do people recommend?
The rain forest are all around the £80 mark but none have great reviews
I went with this. £103 delivered in June. AliExpress.

Western Digital WD SN740 2TB M.2 SSD 2230 NVMe PCIe Gen 4x4 SSD for Microsoft Surface ProX Surface Laptop 3 Steam Deck

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know how you go about adding shortcuts with standalone emus to games in Steam?

e.g. I have a Retroarch one which works fine -

Target - "/usr/bin/flatpak" run org.libretro.RetroArch -L /pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/psx/Moto Racer (USA).chd"
Start in - /run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/psx

I'm trying to setup another but use Duckstaton instead of Retroarch but this isnt working

Target - "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/tools/launchers/duckstation.sh" "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/psx/Wipeout XL.chd.chd"
Start in - /run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/psx

Maybe I have to do something with the flatpak
I've been using Emudeck (which uses Retroarch and Duckstation) and it comes with Seam ROM Manager that detects the ROMs and creates shortcuts for them. Could try the standalone version to see if it works with your current installs: https://steamgriddb.github.io/steam-rom-manager/

Soldato
I've been using Emudeck (which uses Retroarch and Duckstation) and it comes with Seam ROM Manager that detects the ROMs and creates shortcuts for them. Could try the standalone version to see if it works with your current installs: https://steamgriddb.github.io/steam-rom-manager/
Thanks - I used EmuDeck too and have only parsed EmulationStation DE, otherwise it creates many shortcuts that I dont want. Are you able to parse duckstation then maybe check the target and start in shortcut please?

Failing that I guess I could move only 1 rom to the folder for motoracer then parse and see it is give duckstation as the shortcut

Edit - I should be able to do it if I can work out how to add the standalone emulators as non steam games. They appear to be in home/deck/var/app as flatpaks e.g. org.duckstation.DuckStation. However nothing can be added for those

Last edited:
Associate
Bought the newer version of the Jsaux back plate, having a grill at the back really makes a massive difference over the first version they did, gained much lower temps and lower fan speeds, been using the white one for about two weeks without any issues whatsoever. Originally bought the crystal clear white but wasn't happy with the black shell and very clear white back plate combo, ended up buying what they call the brown but its more black/charcoal coloured.

Quality is definitely improved over the original version, on that I had to shave down the plastic posts on the back buttons ever so slightly as they were too long which seemed to be a very common issue, both new backplates fitted great and no issues with the back buttons this time.

XbTYIyO.jpg

08YBZm6.jpg
Mine arrived today, all fitted without issue. Very easy. The longer back buttons are a game changer for me, so much better. Thanks for the heads up

Soldato
Thanks - I used EmuDeck too and have only parsed EmulationStation DE, otherwise it creates many shortcuts that I dont want. Are you able to parse duckstation then maybe check the target and start in shortcut please?

Failing that I guess I could move only 1 rom to the folder for motoracer then parse and see it is give duckstation as the shortcut

Edit - I should be able to do it if I can work out how to add the standalone emulators as non steam games. They appear to be in home/deck/var/app as flatpaks e.g. org.duckstation.DuckStation. However nothing can be added for those
"/usr/bin/flatpak" run org.duckstation.DuckStation -batch -fullscreen -bigpicture "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/psx/game.cue" as target and "/usr/bin" as start.

You can add flatpak apps in desktop mode by right clicking their icons, there's an option to add them to Steam.

Soldato
"/usr/bin/flatpak" run org.duckstation.DuckStation -batch -fullscreen -bigpicture "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/psx/game.cue" as target and "/usr/bin" as start.

You can add flatpak apps in desktop mode by right clicking their icons, there's an option to add them to Steam.
Awesome, that works perfect. Thanks
When attempting the same with MAME (standalone) nothing launches, is this correct?

target - "/usr/bin/flatpak" run org.mamedev.MAME -batch -fullscreen -bigpicture "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/arcade/game.zip" as target and "/usr/bin" as start.
start in - "/usr/bin"

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome, that works perfect. Thanks
When attempting the same with MAME (standalone) nothing launches, is this correct?

target - "/usr/bin/flatpak" run org.mamedev.MAME -batch -fullscreen -bigpicture "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/arcade/game.zip" as target and "/usr/bin" as start.
start in - "/usr/bin"
Unfortunately I don't have MAME installed so I can't test that. Does adding it via desktop not work?

Soldato
A tangential answer to emulation issues - check out EmuDeck at https://www.emudeck.com/ It takes all the guess work out of emulation. Adding games is (generally) a matter of dropping the rom into the correct folder
Thanks - I used EmuDeck too and have only parsed EmulationStation DE, otherwise it creates many shortcuts that I dont want.
Unfortunately they want to do it the hard way because of this :p .

Soldato
I missed that. Fair enough! While I enjoy mucking about and learning new things as much as everyone else here, I’d rather be playing games on the SD

I’ve never noticed an excess of shortcuts being created but that’s maybe just me. Once I’ve added an emulated game to Steam I just add it to my Favourites list so I only see what I want to see

Soldato
Unfortunately I don't have MAME installed so I can't test that. Does adding it via desktop not work?
Worked it out :)

Target - "/usr/bin/flatpak"
Start in - /usr/bin/
Launch options - "run" "--branch=stable" "--arch=x86_64" "--command=mame" "org.mamedev.MAME" "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Emulation/roms/arcade/game.zip"

A tangential answer to emulation issues - check out EmuDeck at https://www.emudeck.com/ It takes all the guess work out of emulation. Adding games is (generally) a matter of dropping the rom into the correct folder
EmuDeck is basic, you cannot do important thinks such as set a specific emulator per rom, so you end up having to switch emulators in EmulationStation DE or in desktop mode. Plus is good learning to curate my list of games how I like.

I missed that. Fair enough! While I enjoy mucking about and learning new things as much as everyone else here, I’d rather be playing games on the SD

I’ve never noticed an excess of shortcuts being created but that’s maybe just me. Once I’ve added an emulated game to Steam I just add it to my Favourites list so I only see what I want to see
I do have a few favourite but most my games (emulated are inside emulation station de) but adding shortcuts I can add games from win9x, win10 and all other systems too alongside steam games.

Received my Deck yesterday, can't quite believe I hadn't gotten one before now. I love it!

I haven't bought a new SSD yet, so that's at the top of my to do list. :D
Its a great device. By far the most annoying / worst thing though is the on screen keyboard. I cant believe how crap it is.

Takes of half the screen when you enable it, need to mash steam and x about 5 times for it to appear sometimes then need to hold in the steam button to use the trackpad for the cursor ...but dont hit the steam button too many times or it activates big picture mode. Having an iPhone style OSK would be a dream in the new Steam OS update.
I end up using SteamLink or a wireless keyboard half the time (like now) to write on it.

Granted its not really a typing device but a good on screen keyboard would help sometimes with basic configuration.

The only other thing thats broken/bugged is the non steam game link paths when in game mode. They're 2 characters wide (so not usable) and 'browse' doesnt work at all.

Also, Emudeck doesnt have all systems and setups.
Sega model m2 and m3 for example have some of my favourite games, no support for them that I know of. Amiga Workbench with a full RTG config and HDD for fast loading. I believe in retroarch its just PUAE which is pretty basic

heKJIeYh.jpg

LMkZqHVh.jpg

A4AHZW1h.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Also noticed SteamOS 3.5 is in preview now, so it should be released on stable soon. It fixes a bug with SMT, so any lightly threaded games (including emulation) will get a big boost. If you were using the powertool decky plugin to disable SMT to get around this bug, you no longer need to do this.

Associate
I changed updates to main (then back) so I could get the new BIOS (118?) to try undervolting.
Dropped to - 20/-20/-20 as a safe bet as I'm not going to spend hours benching and testing stability for anything lower.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also to note - Retroarch / Linux / Emudeck versions of MAME are pretty poor still for game support. If games dont work, they probably will if you download the latest Windows version of MAME run it with Proton then load the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also noticed SteamOS 3.5 is in preview now, so it should be released on stable soon. It fixes a bug with SMT, so any lightly threaded games (including emulation) will get a big boost. If you were using the powertool decky plugin to disable SMT to get around this bug, you no longer need to do this.
Worth getting now in Preview mode?

Soldato
Apparently there's a few small bugs still cropping up so I'm holding off, one I see cropping up more often is desktop mode not working properly.
Already had one. Library scroll caused a crash / ui reboot in game mode.

Opened desktop mode, all working, then opened big picture mode and all worked too.
Restarted into game mode and no more crashes, weird. I thought it was an animated capsule (for Full throttle reloaded game) but seems its working and fine now.

Its much snappier, looks better, has 'scaling mode' to stretch and fill which is perfect for emulation if you dont want just 4:3. Fantastic update so far. Imagine if Microsoft released good updates like this!!

Damn, waking from sleep is much faster too

Last edited:
Soldato
Also to note - Retroarch / Linux / Emudeck versions of MAME are pretty poor still for game support. If games dont work, they probably will if you download the latest Windows version of MAME run it with Proton then load the game.

I use a prebuilt Batocera image on a microsd for emulation, it is bootable from BIOS and was easy to add any missing games.

Soldato
Received my Deck yesterday, can't quite believe I hadn't gotten one before now. I love it!

I haven't bought a new SSD yet, so that's at the top of my to do list. :D
How long did it take you to sniff the vent? And if you haven't sniffed the vent yet, why on earth haven't you sniffed the vent yet!? :D

Back
Top Bottom