*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Got a 1TB fairly handy not long after 6pm earlier.

Made a mistake in selling my original 512GB, and keeping a 64GB (that had been upgraded to 2TB). Just couldn't get on with the plasticky, glossy screen so back to etched for me.

Soldato
so how do i go about backing up the deck internal drive for when i buy a bigger one?

i know a lot about pc's but my weak point is cloning harddrives etc, any one got a step by step guide?

i have the 256 gig one :)

Last edited:
Associate
so how do i go about backing up the deck internal drive for when i buy a bigger one?

i know a lot about pc's but my weak point is cloning harddrives etc, any one got a step by step guide?

i have the 256 gig one :)

Steam deck drive cloning is pretty easy and doesn’t need any 3rd party software.

Just need the new drive installed into an external enclosure plugged into the USB C port, then in desktop mode you open the console and run the command on this guide to clone it.

The drive will be cloned exactly and when you put the new drive in the deck will automatically increase the partition size, though I think it does this during the cloning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah really? I thought the OLED had a slightly larger display compared to LCD? Or is it just that the bezels are smaller on the OLED?

Comparison of display sizes:

wWRqZvN.jpg

The steamdeck oled has the same size screen panel as the LCD model, but the bezels are smaller on the oled. So the viewable area is bigger but the panel is the same size

Soldato
Random one...

But does anyone know what the game is on the main Steam Deck advert on the Steam store page?

The one immediately after Slime Rancher.

*Edit* it's the one before Slime Rancher! Looks like the player is going down a tunnel being shot at. Could be a shooter or platformer.

tIme for another coffee...

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting in that review video the audio test before the 13 min mark, I think the LCD audio is the best, the OLED audio seems too flat for me and looks like valve decided to copy the ROG ally audio profile for it.

Soldato
hope every one that wanted one got one :)

they announced these the day after dad got his 512 model and valve said he could refund the whole thing or get the price difference, he got 180 quid to his steam wallet and got more games for it :)

i got my 256 model about a week before dad got his and they gave me 110 quid for the price difference no hassle, they even offered a full refund as well, valve support are awesome :)
Glad to see they doing the right thing there.

Associate
Steam deck drive cloning is pretty easy and doesn’t need any 3rd party software.

Just need the new drive installed into an external enclosure plugged into the USB C port, then in desktop mode you open the console and run the command on this guide to clone it.

The drive will be cloned exactly and when you put the new drive in the deck will automatically increase the partition size, though I think it does this during the cloning.

Will a cloned drive from an LCD work properly on the OLED though? Not only the screen, but a lot of the internals and APU etc are different on the OLED so isn’t the software slightly different to run them correctly?

Soldato
hope every one that wanted one got one :)

they announced these the day after dad got his 512 model and valve said he could refund the whole thing or get the price difference, he got 180 quid to his steam wallet and got more games for it :)

i got my 256 model about a week before dad got his and they gave me 110 quid for the price difference no hassle, they even offered a full refund as well, valve support are awesome :)
It sounds ridiculous, but they're such a decent company that it was genuinely one of the things which pushed me towards they Steam Deck. I like what they've done with it, I like what they're doing for Linux, and things like their customer service are just fantastic.

Soldato
It sounds ridiculous, but they're such a decent company that it was genuinely one of the things which pushed me towards they Steam Deck. I like what they've done with it, I like what they're doing for Linux, and things like their customer service are just fantastic.

I'm amazed that they not only supply a charger, but a decent quality case as well. Unheard of these days.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
All that fuss at launch and they are still in stock! I was late to work as well grabbing one, I wonder what the delivery times will be for for those that grabbed an early one, I have a feeling we're looking at a week at least?

My mate is happy, giving him my old 64gb Deck for £100 (mates rates).

If you can change just a bit more, we can be friends and you can sell me your OLED at mates rates once your done with it :p

Jokes aside. That is a good price. Must be a very good mate.

Good to see valve stocking it properly this time. Hope they do the same for the steam deck 2. I will be buying that day 1 for sure.

Soldato
All that fuss at launch and they are still in stock! I was late to work as well grabbing one, I wonder what the delivery times will be for for those that grabbed an early one, I have a feeling we're looking at a week at least?

My mate is happy, giving him my old 64gb Deck for £100 (mates rates).

2-3 business days was stated.
Also lol at all the flipfloppers here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom