*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

The temptation to just pick one up is getting massive!

Have a good think about the Antec Core HS too, while they are still in stock and have the free bundle worth £150 as they are running out quick. I honestly think its the best value current handheld, even after getting a Legion Go. I did think about the Steam Deck OLED too but the slow CPU + GPU and small SSD and the OLED burning issue put me off them in the end and just got a second ANTEC for my LINUX/STEAM OS stuff, which is a shame as the screen is amazing for HDR. But HDR on = faster burn in too...

Have a good think about it.

Last edited:
Have a good think about the Antec Core HS too, while they are still in stock and have the free bundle worth £150 as they are running out quick. I honestly think its the best value current handheld, even after getting a Legion Go. I did think about the Steam Deck OLED too but the slow CPU + GPU and small SSD and the OLED burning issue put me off them in the end and just got a second ANTEC for my LINUX/STEAM OS stuff, which is a shame as the screen is amazing for HDR. But HDR on = faster burn in too...

Have a good think about it.
I had no idea about this, thank you!

Need to do some research but the spec looks crazy. Not sure how potent the GPU is

Need to do some research but the spec looks crazy. Not sure how potent the GPU is

The GPU is the current fastest in the ANTEC a 780M and the SOC is a 7840U. Read the DM I sent you with the link to the thread on it on these forums.

Last edited:

It's worth noting that the Antec Core HS is a rebranded Ayaneo Slide. You'll find a lot more information about the Slide (and Ayaneo's software in general) as it's been on the market for about six months.

Regarding the Steam Deck & burn-in, it is so far an issue which is limited to YouTube content creators whose income is proportional to how clickbatey their content thumbnails are. I can't find any real-world reports of the issue. You can inevitably test anything to failure. Cheeky dig time - I wonder how many slides it would take to destroy the hinge on the Core HS?

Last edited:
It's worth noting that the Antec Core HS is a rebranded Ayaneo Slide. You'll find a lot more information about the Slide (and Ayaneo's software in general) as it's been on the market for about six months.

Regarding the Steam Deck & burn-in, there are basically no reports of this in the real world. Certainly I haven't seen any, and not can I find any when doing a quick search. In this thread, for example, nobody had mentioned burn in since the OLED's launch until Purgatory started posting about it. So as yet, it only seems to exist in YouTube videos, where the creators earn money from clicks & sensationalist headlines...
Also remember there are two different suppliers of the OLED screen floating about. Haven't watched the vids so don't know if that has been accounted for. Would actually be useful to know that whatever the burin in is if the burn has affected just one or the other.

Tempted here given BF is around the corner. I dumped Windows for MacOS and Linux and use a PS5 for gaming. Sadly I miss some games on my steam library still like Monkey Island etc. Hoping I can grab something for under £500!

Yeah seems a sensible plan, I just have be toslightly strong with me having the money now sat waiting lol. SUCH WANT!!!

From what I read the discounts on the deck are supposedly 10% at best based on previous sales, I have to admit I hadn't been looking before.

Last edited:
Tempted here given BF is around the corner. I dumped Windows for MacOS and Linux and use a PS5 for gaming. Sadly I miss some games on my steam library still like Monkey Island etc. Hoping I can grab something for under £500!
I might have misunderstood, but in Linux you can just enable Proton in Steam to play Windows games (I think it's called "Steam Play"). You don't need a Deck to do that...

I might have misunderstood, but in Linux you can just enable Proton in Steam to play Windows games (I think it's called "Steam Play"). You don't need a Deck to do that...
You are correct but I need something more suited and portable really. My old gaming PC has Linux on it but is at my mothers house and is a backup machine, whilst this laptop has Linux Mint but is weak on the GPU end of things.

You are correct but I need something more suited and portable really. My old gaming PC has Linux on it but is at my mothers house and is a backup machine, whilst this laptop has Linux Mint but is weak on the GPU end of things.
Gotcha, although you don't need much GPU for Monkey Island :D

For my money the Deck might not be the most powerful handheld (it was never meant to be), but by its nature it's the most tightly integrated to the Steam ecosystem.

On the OLED thing, I wouldn't say The Phawkx is a clickbaity content creator at all- he was very clear that his tests are unrealistic in the general use case, but it was a useful test intended to demonstrate that the OLED can burn in. Every OLED will degrade in some way eventually, it's the nature of the technology, but you'd have to be really trying hard to make it a practical issue over the sort of timescales these devices are useful for, and with a bit of DIY skill they're replaceable components, so I don't see it as an issue.

Having said that, after trying an OLED version I have no plans to upgrade, I'm quite happy with my OG LCD.

Well its happening, my 1TB SD Oled has shipped! I cant believe it. Its a shame I have to wait until christmas to get my hands on it but ive a Anbernic RG cube coming to tide me over for my birthday in november. As this is happening im going to sell off my second PC in members market because I reckon most of my gaming will be on these. :D

Well its happening, my 1TB SD Oled has shipped! I cant believe it. Its a shame I have to wait until christmas to get my hands on it but ive a Anbernic RG cube coming to tide me over for my birthday in november. As this is happening im going to sell off my second PC in members market because I reckon most of my gaming will be on these. :D
Is the wait that long now? That's crazy!

If it helps, you'll love it. It's the best piece of tech I've picked up for a long time. Yes, it has drawbacks, but there's something really lovely about it.

I know they ship from the Netherlands but I didn't realise the Postie was doing it all on foot. :p

Looks like I am joining the club too!

512GB OLED ordered :D

Nice! I'm sure we won't regret it. Mines showing shipped now! Happy days :D
Yeah I absolutely cannot wait!

Got a great deal on SanDisk extreme 512gb SD card too and picked up one of the JSAUX screen protector kits with the fitting frame as on offer at the rainforest

3-5 days can't pass quick enough now lol

I've been wanted to buy a steam deck for a while but always back out at the last minutes as I think something better will be released as soon as I do. In hindsight I should have bought the OLED model as soon as they were available damn fomo :cry:

Back
Top Bottom