*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Can it function as a general basic computer as well or just games?
on paper yes, you can just throw windows on there and it will happily do all the normal PC things, and you can probably do quite a few things in the steam OC its self, watching videos email etc.

But i feel like you'll not have an amazing experience. in all likelihood windows performance will be worse than steam OS, just based on how resource heavy windows is alone. Then there's questions of driver support. The form factor isn't great for it.

Like it will probably be fine. But more of a pain than you'd like.

I think Linus from LTT said he was going to try daily drive it for a month and do a video on how well it does. So hopefully there will be a clearer picture soon enough

on paper yes, you can just throw windows on there and it will happily do all the normal PC things, and you can probably do quite a few things in the steam OC its self, watching videos email etc.

But i feel like you'll not have an amazing experience. in all likelihood windows performance will be worse than steam OS, just based on how resource heavy windows is alone. Then there's questions of driver support. The form factor isn't great for it.

Like it will probably be fine. But more of a pain than you'd like.

I think Linus from LTT said he was going to try daily drive it for a month and do a video on how well it does. So hopefully there will be a clearer picture soon enough

Thanks :) I'm trying to find a reason to justify buying it when my slot comes around. I can easily afford it, that's not the point lol, I just don't want to buy another thing I put down and don't use lol. I tried playing destiny 2 on stadia and I found it underwhelming on a small screen for example.

Thanks :) I'm trying to find a reason to justify buying it when my slot comes around. I can easily afford it, that's not the point lol, I just don't want to buy another thing I put down and don't use lol. I tried playing destiny 2 on stadia and I found it underwhelming on a small screen for example.

If you have the cash, I'd say buy it. Even if you don't like it, you'll be able to flip it for at least what you paid.

I predict it'll perform fine as a daily driver, Windows or Linux. I daily drive Windows 11 on an older i5 (8250u) and it's fine for productivity, browsing etc. As good as Windows 10 in my experience.

If you have the cash, I'd say buy it. Even if you don't like it, you'll be able to flip it for at least what you paid.

I predict it'll perform fine as a daily driver, Windows or Linux. I daily drive Windows 11 on an older i5 (8250u) and it's fine for productivity, browsing etc. As good as Windows 10 in my experience.

That's a very good point about resale value with such limited supply. (not scalping, literally just almost risk free try out).

Exactly. I am almost positive I will be keeping mine, but if not I will flip it and would have got to enjoy it for a few weeks for free :)

I plan on using mine for when I'm travelling (A lot). I am keen to see the docking station in action as that will be priority for me when released. The steamdeck will get little use when I'm at home. However, my gaming rig is monolithic, weighs about ~30-40kg and is just completely impractical to move about. Having something I can carry in a daysack pull out and plug up to a TV and play my usual games will be invaluable to me. The idea of being able to stick windows on it is very interesting, however, I have a work Laptop for that sort of stuff when I'm on the move if necessary, but interesting nonetheless.

There are opportunities for me to use it. Like driving 50 minutes for my daughters acting classes, and then I sit and wait for an hour and a half etc.

I will probably buy one. See what happens lol. I only got mid one so not the end of the world.

this is a very small launch no big fanfare i imagine they will just do enough to say yes its now launched even thought hardly anyone will get one in the short term

they couldn't delay it any further after they delayed it in december if they had people would suggest would it ever be launched.

this is a very small launch no big fanfare i imagine they will just do enough to say yes its now launched even thought hardly anyone will get one in the short term

they couldn't delay it any further after they delayed it in december if they had people would suggest would it ever be launched.
People can suggest all they want though, things are not exactly running smoothly in the world and delays can happen. One either would wait a mother month or two or just cancel preorder. I know I would continue waiting as I did not order on a whim, I genuinely want one.

But hopefully they managed to get a decent enough quantity to satisfy orders from people like me that ordered within minutes of launch.

People can suggest all they want though, things are not exactly running smoothly in the world and delays can happen. One either would wait a mother month or two or just cancel preorder. I know I would continue waiting as I did not order on a whim, I genuinely want one.

But hopefully they managed to get a decent enough quantity to satisfy orders from people like me that ordered within minutes of launch.
oh i agree the delay was caused by a multitude of reasons but to say this is a proper launch when it really isn't its just a sign post to say they have successfully launched the product.

i doubt they will give numbers but it will be the low thousands do we think ?

i'm just bitter lol i won't get mine until late 2022 and thats if theres no further hiccups in production.

oh i agree the delay was caused by a multitude of reasons but to say this is a proper launch when it really isn't its just a sign post to say they have successfully launched the product.

i doubt they will give numbers but it will be the low thousands do we think ?

i'm just bitter lol i won't get mine until late 2022 and thats if theres no further hiccups in production.
Haha.

We will see, if I don’t get my SteamDeck on launch then it means it they really made very little as my order was confirmed in less than 10 minutes of launch as I recall. Went for the basic version also which I think will have higher quantities made.

I will be doing that via the windows and game pass route.
Hopefully there will be a pain free way of dual booting so I can just pick Steam OS or Windows. I mean I will probably use Steam OS most of the time, but still will need windows to get maximum use out.

Haha.

We will see, if I don’t get my SteamDeck on launch then it means it they really made very little as my order was confirmed in less than 10 minutes of launch as I recall. Went for the basic version also which I think will have higher quantities made.

Hopefully there will be a pain free way of dual booting so I can just pick Steam OS or Windows. I mean I will probably use Steam OS most of the time, but still will need windows to get maximum use out.
similar to what i'll be doing dual boot is what i prefer if its not too difficult or cumbersome

hope you get yours at launch mate hopefully you'll be one of the lucky few and you can annoy the hell out of us poor souls who will have to wait until late 2022 and beyond

similar to what i'll be doing dual boot is what i prefer if its not too difficult or cumbersome

hope you get yours at launch mate hopefully you'll be one of the lucky few and you can annoy the hell out of us poor souls who will have to wait until late 2022 and beyond
Thanks man, I hope so :D

Payment will be taken tomorrow as far as I understand. Will be paying asap and hope it gets dispatch on the weekend or on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom