*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I still don’t follow your point, it’s a niche low volume product (for a ‘console’) with huge hype and FOMO making it a long preorder queue from a single retailer.

It literally is a queue, first come first served for established accounts. There are no drops, few bots and the reality is it was fastest finger first when the website worked. That is literally what people were asking for after the last 2 years of botting nonsense.

Just because you managed to get a PlayStation etc doesn’t mean that people were not waiting longer, or are even still waiting! You still can’t just ‘walk in off the street’ and expect to buy one of those either. At times you couldn’t even walk in off the street and buy a Nintendo switch and that launched years ago.

Argue it was a paper launch if you want, but I’m not sure you can say it was ‘crack handed’.

I still don’t follow your point, it’s a niche low volume product (for a ‘console’) with huge hype and FOMO making it a long preorder queue from a single retailer.

It literally is a queue, first come first served for established accounts. There are no drops, few bots and the reality is it was fastest finger first when the website worked. That is literally what people were asking for after the last 2 years of botting nonsense.

Just because you managed to get a PlayStation etc doesn’t mean that people were not waiting longer, or are even still waiting! You still can’t just ‘walk in off the street’ and expect to buy one of those either. At times you couldn’t even walk in off the street and buy a Nintendo switch and that launched years ago.

Argue it was a paper launch if you want, but I’m not sure you can say it was ‘crack handed’.

I think I take issue with you referring to it as FOMO.

I don't fear of missing out, I'm happy happy to buy a different device, but the Steam Deck is unbeatable at its RRP. Hell, even scalped prices as it stands is still a solid device. I'd have no issue paying £600 for the 64GB with warranty for example.

There's a load of older games that I just can't stand playing on my 34" etc, some of these I play on my laptop when I played Grandia for example, but they're going to be feel a lot better playing on a small hand held.

Because of the Steam input as well it even means playing something like Tomb Raider 1 (The originals which my girlfriend likes) a lot better, she tried playing one of the PS2 era ones recently and it was a mess (Again on a 34")

ITS NOT JUST CONSOLES THAT ARE HARD TO GET.

I mean just getting a quote and when a person can do a loft conversion takes a while and you are certainly in a que for that and paying peak prices too

Crack handed in what way?

Shock horror 1st gen product using experimental software was delayed by 3 months.

The queue system seems to be fine and working, one per customer and no new accounts.

You seem to take issue with every man and their dog ordering one, which isn’t a surprise since it launched during a period of insane FOMO.

I expect the attach rate is fairly high at the moment but it will soon drop.
cack handed not crack handed

the fact they allowed pre orders back in july 2021 and its now june 2022 and hardly anyone has one
anyone who was able to pre order an xbox or ps5 back at launch got one i was able to order quite easily but thats because sony and xbox didn't announce pre orders until they knew they could fulfil orders
unlike valve who announced december before they really knew if that could be achieved
the fact they are giving more stock to certain regions i think the 512gb version is upto almost 7pm in the states and eu but here in the uk its 18.23pm

you may not think thats a botched launch and your entitled to your view as i am.

I think the launch was handled fine. It’s a first shot at a product like this and I think valve sold(reservation was £4) way more than they anticipated.

My pre order was meant to be q1 but got pushed to q2. So 18:20:50 is when I ordered, had the email last week and it’s getting delivered today.

Can’t complain. It was pushed by 3 months and that is fine. I’m actually happy that it took longer, they solved a lot of early software bugs etc and it’s actually a very stable device now. Add the thousands of extra games that got verified and I can’t complain. Sleeping on first come first serve queue is your own choice and it was announced that it’ll be like that way before reservations kicked off.

I think the launch was handled fine. It’s a first shot at a product like this and I think valve sold(reservation was £4) way more than they anticipated.

My pre order was meant to be q1 but got pushed to q2. So 18:20:50 is when I ordered, had the email last week and it’s getting delivered today.

Can’t complain. It was pushed by 3 months and that is fine. I’m actually happy that it took longer, they solved a lot of early software bugs etc and it’s actually a very stable device now. Add the thousands of extra games that got verified and I can’t complain. Sleeping on first come first serve queue is your own choice and it was announced that it’ll be like that way before reservations kicked off.
512gb?

i ordered earlier than you for the 512 and stil not got an email lol

If you guys want to get a reasonably accurate estimation then use this:

Once you grab the rtreservetime value out of the steam store api request you’ll be able to track how far up the queue you are.

There’s also a calculator online that allows you to use the same code from api and gives you an estimate days before you get your email.

wow another month lol. is 1 minute equal to one day in the waiting que? lol
They despatch those order emails twice a week.

some days it’ll move by 45s other days it’ll move by 2-3 minutes. UK queue for the 512 is the slowest one out of EU and US.

EU moves by 3-4 hours a day.. uk by seconds or maybe 1-2 minutes.

Their reservation emails get sent on Monday and Thursday. So today the queue will move up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom