*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Just got email that mine will be delivered tomorrow. Typical, I need to go to office early in the morning, luckily GF will be home till late afternoon and then she'll come to meet me in town for a meal and pub quiz with mates.

Hopefully it will arrive while she's still at home.

Edit: scrap all that, it's out for delivery today:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Installing Rocket League to give it a quick blast

Had to reset my two step authenticator, my old phone broke and completely forgot about setting it up again. Luckily it was nice and easy process to remove it from the old phone and set up again

Full steam ahead with deliveries it seems then.

Pun intended? ;)

Associate
Trying to figure out how to install updated modded Steam games on my Deck, tried Warpinator but it doesn't see my PC.

Was hoping to install Simbin GTR2 from Steam, and then copy over my Power and Glory mod installation from my PC to the Deck to overwrite the Deck files, and hope it works!

If you have never tried P&G, its old but epic. I don't think there is a driving sim which is so entertaining, and will be a dream for the Deck.

Still experimenting and in the mean time Automobilista 2, shame the original isn't compatible.

2vymyPD.jpg

Logitech Keyboard purchased when I owned an iMac a good few years back, the Apple keyboard never had backlighting so picked up the K810. Works brilliantly and rather cool it suits the little Deck. :cool:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Not sure I get the need for a wireless K&M for the Deck. The whole point is that it’s portable, a K&M defeats the whole purpose of that. :confused:

If I want to use a fully functional PC I’ll use my desktop PC instead.

Associate
Not sure I get the need for a wireless K&M for the Deck. The whole point is that it’s portable, a K&M defeats the whole purpose of that. :confused:

If I want to use a fully functional PC I’ll use my desktop PC instead.

Main use a K&M for me is the desktop mode for moving/copying files or even fixing a game by editing config files if you had to do that or screwing about with emulation, trying to use a tiny screen in desktop mode along with the deck controls is a really horrible experience, so the K&M with the deck plugged in and outputting to a display at 4K 60hz with a USB-C hub is brilliant as it gives me a full PC experience on a large screen.

Never used Linux as I don't like it as my OS so it's a bit of a learning curve finding out where stuff is but getting used to it.

Have bought a Jsaux Steam Deck dock so waiting for that to be delivered eventually as hell knows when Valve will get theirs out and this one is close enough, so at least that will give me a quicker way to dock it to the big screen than using hubs.

Reactions: HRL
Associate
Trying to figure out how to install updated modded Steam games on my Deck, tried Warpinator but it doesn't see my PC.

Was hoping to install Simbin GTR2 from Steam, and then copy over my Power and Glory mod installation from my PC to the Deck to overwrite the Deck files, and hope it works!

If you have never tried P&G, its old but epic. I don't think there is a driving sim which is so entertaining, and will be a dream for the Deck.

Still experimenting and in the mean time Automobilista 2, shame the original isn't compatible.

2vymyPD.jpg

Logitech Keyboard purchased when I owned an iMac a good few years back, the Apple keyboard never had backlighting so picked up the K810. Works brilliantly and rather cool it suits the little Deck. :cool:
Noice! :)

Here's mine:

GJx61iW.png

Associate
I'm still on the fence. As a lorry driver it could be pretty great for me. I assume I can charge it with a 12v charger? As long long as it's 65W or so?

Caporegime
I'm still on the fence. As a lorry driver it could be pretty great for me. I assume I can charge it with a 12v charger? As long long as it's 65W or so?

Yes, 65w is the number you want. You can get a 65w 20k ma power bank for about £45 so which would charge the deck about 4 times. You can always charge the power bank in between from the vehicle’s USB port too.

Associate
I don't think blurry was the right word thinking about it for the anti-glare screen. Pixels don't quite look as sharp and the colours don't quite pop as much. At least that's what others have said who have compared both versions side by side, although there isn't a lot in it.

Mine arrived yesterday. It's the size I thought it would be but also has a nice balanced weight. Got emudeck installed and looking to install the plugin with powertools. Apparently that improves performance with emulators if you disable SMT.

Overall, really happy. I will just be installing most things from the discover store as don't want to mess up the OS too much. Also any bin installed may be wiped after doing system updates.

Soldato

W :cool:
enable ssh then use FileZilla or something for sftp transfers from your main pc

steam on the deck installs to /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common
so its easy to add mods in there. (need to 'show hidden folders')

if you want to use pre-modded games, you could try moving the whole folder over then using bottles or lutris to create a wine prefix, then adding it as a non-steam game by pointing steam to the exe

Associate
19th July Uk 256gb. And i think its jumped a long way past me
Nice nice. Thank you for the reply.

Well according to that reddit trick I'll call it. Since last Thursday I've jumped from 56% of the way there to yesterday 84% I could be next week! Well I hope so lol.

I ordered Wednesday 21st July 2021 for the 512 in the UK. I'm excited.

Back
Top Bottom