Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
Soldato

Samsung's 27" 5K screen goes on pre-order in South Korea. It's priced at 1.7m Won (Studio display is 2.09m Won), so about 20% cheaper than Studio Display. Should work out to $1300 USD or around £1200 here. So a bit more expensive than the LG Ultrafine (which is around £1000 these days).

Spec-wise it's the same as Studio display, 5K, 60Hz, no Mini-LED, no local-dimming of any sorts, no variable refresh rate, no HDR (real or fake). 600 nits of brightness. It probably uses the same LG panel.

Looks like you were a bit off with the price :D $1599.

Although looks like Neowin seem to think in one part it's gonna do 165Hz but the spec is still 60Hz, may be something I'm missing there though as I don't know a huge amount about panels.

So that's the same price as ASD right?

Soldato
OP
Looks like you were a bit off with the price :D $1599.

Although looks like Neowin seem to think in one part it's gonna do 165Hz but the spec is still 60Hz, may be something I'm missing there though as I don't know a huge amount about panels.

So that's the same price as ASD right?

Oops, so exactly the same price as the ASD, with exactly the same specs apart from being plastic matte rather than a glossy glass.

I was really hoping this could be a cheaper 5K alternative to the ASD. It could still be a good value of it goes on sale but at similar price to ASD there's really no reason to buy this. This makes the ASD looks like a good deal actually :cry:

It's definitely 60Hz, not 165Hz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oops, so exactly the same price as the ASD, with exactly the same specs apart from being plastic matte rather than a glossy glass.

I was really hoping this could be a cheaper 5K alternative to the ASD. It could still be a good value of it goes on sale but at similar price to ASD there's really no reason to buy this. This makes the ASD looks like a good deal actually :cry:

It's definitely 60Hz, not 165Hz.

Yeah they fixed the Hz, I thought that was super off, but you never know these days with tech - I'm nowhere near as up on it as I was.

Looks like the only benefits this brings is likely better tilt/pivot etc at cost, instead of Apple Tax and this stupid Smart Hub I've seen they're putting in their higher end monitors.

Man of Honour
I'm looking at these again now, decent deals on Amazon for the non-height adjustable stand. I'm not sure I want to spend extra for that, as my other monitor is wall mounted and I can't adjust the height on it. Hmm, decisions.

Soldato
I'm looking at these again now, decent deals on Amazon for the non-height adjustable stand. I'm not sure I want to spend extra for that, as my other monitor is wall mounted and I can't adjust the height on it. Hmm, decisions.

I've never missed the height adjust in all honesty. Caveat that I have a standing desk which kind of defeats my need of it, as I don't exactly win praises on my sitting/standing posture.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I need to work out if it would work for my desk and current monitor. I have a Dell 4k 27" in the loft I ought to drag down. Every time I set it up I think it takes up too much room. But the want for the ASD is strong!

Soldato
It’s been that price for a few weeks now so I wouldn’t get too worried about missing it at that price.
Personally the tilt only stand has been spot on for me. In fact, I actually find it sits just on the upper limit of where I’d want a monitor - I’d be even happier if it was lower! I don’t understand how people think it’s too low - unless of course they’re very tall. But even then, if your desk is the right height i.e your elbows should be at 90 degrees then it’s at almost the perfect height. I see people with risers and books (the latter of which is just sacrilege) and it seems like they must be really craning their necks looking up.

Last edited:
Commissario
I've got two, one is height adjustable, one isn't.

Can you tell which is which?

1ehhY1P.jpeg

Man of Honour
My 38" UW Alienware is playing up again, I'm just waiting for Dell to let me know if they can give me a refund. If they agree to it, I might just move away from UW and go back to 16:9, get a nice 27" monitor for gaming and have the ASD as the Mac/productivity monitor.

Reactions: LiE
Soldato
No, too distracted by all the junk on the desk!! :D
That is a proper desktop!
I’d love an Apple monitor but can’t justify the price even when discounted for a standard backlight, no HDR.

Would love a mini led or oled 27” Apple monitor.
I'm the same. I can't justify such an expensive monitor when most of what I do is inside a text editor or on the command line. If I was an artist or something, maybe, but I'm not.

Soldato
That is a proper desktop!

I'm the same. I can't justify such an expensive monitor when most of what I do is inside a text editor or on the command line. If I was an artist or something, maybe, but I'm not.

I spent 90% of my time in a command line, whether it be ssh'ing to servers, using vim etc - let me tell it's a crisp text experience :D

Justification done by me.

Back
Top Bottom