Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
OP
Nothing beats this for looking at text at its price point. Luckily it's not the only option out there, I'm hoping for a third party to do 32" 6K/8K at more reasonable prices. That's the only reason I haven't convinced myself to buy a second one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing beats this for looking at text at its price point. Luckily it's not the only option out there, I'm hoping for a third party to do 32" 6K/8K at more reasonable prices. That's the only reason I haven't convinced myself to buy a second one.
Dell do a 32” 6K, I use it with my MacBook and it looks great.

Soldato
I went with the Dell 6K mainly for text, I’m usually using iterm, vscode, omnigfraffle and general web stuff.

The difference in clarity at higher PPI is great if you spend a lot of time in front of the screen.

Soldato
OP
Dell do a 32” 6K, I use it with my MacBook and it looks great.

I went with the Dell 6K mainly for text, I’m usually using iterm, vscode, omnigfraffle and general web stuff.

The difference in clarity at higher PPI is great if you spend a lot of time in front of the screen.

Yes, have that one at work. The image quality is very average, the screen isn't laminated like Studio and brightness isn't that good and has serious quality control issues, and looks awful :( For the price of more than two third party 27" 5K screens it's not worth it.

Soldato
Yes, have that one at work. The image quality is very average, the screen isn't laminated like Studio and brightness isn't that good and has serious quality control issues, and looks awful :( For the price of more than two third party 27" 5K screens it's not worth it.
Agree the glossy screens on the Apple displays are nice, I’d prefer that if it were an option.

I haven’t noticed any quality issue with the Dell 6K though and I certainly wouldn’t say it looks awful. Far from it, the display is very sharp and looks great, even next to my MBP 14” display.

Man of Honour
I'm seeing conflicting information online, could someone with a tilt only ASD please measure the height from the desk to the bottom of the monitor, and also the height to the bottom of the visible part of the screen please, and post it here?

Soldato
OP
I haven’t noticed any quality issue with the Dell 6K though and I certainly wouldn’t say it looks awful. Far from it, the display is very sharp and looks great, even next to my MBP 14” display.

I'm aware text looks sharp on it, after all it's 220ppi! I meant the design and appearance of the display itself is awful. It's an abomination of industrial design by Dell. It's probably one of the worst designs of all time.

ZVHgjvz.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly highjacking this thread, is this monitor still the only real option for a Mac user?
Ideally I would like a 27inch monitor which would handle work on a Mac and ps5 gaming.

I looked at the Alienware 32 curved one that lots of people are recommending but then burn in seems to be a real risk when using oled for office stuff.

Last time I asked about monitors was about a year ago, it seemed for Macs & consoles there was still a huge amount of compromises needed.

Soldato
Studio Display isn’t a good fit for this.

Have a look at a 27” 4K monitor.
Sorry, should have said, I have a qhd dell 1xx hz monitor for the ps5. Ideally wanted to drop that 2 secondary monitor have a 4k 27 or 32 monitor to use on the Mac and ps5 but there seems to be compromises.

Last edited:
Soldato
In a nutshell, if you require the monitor for anything other than Mac usage then it’s not the monitor for you.
For sole Mac use it’s unrivalled. After I’d sold off my Sim Racing Rig and stopped using my PC altogether I was finally able to end years of multi-monitor and compromised single monitor setups. Plumped for the ASD and love it.

Soldato
In a nutshell, if you require the monitor for anything other than Mac usage then it’s not the monitor for you.
For sole Mac use it’s unrivalled. After I’d sold off my Sim Racing Rig and stopped using my PC altogether I was finally able to end years of multi-monitor and compromised single monitor setups. Plumped for the ASD and love it.
And I want a 4k Monitor for PS5 and my Mac :confused: Or is that where there is no real soultion ?

Soldato
And I want a 4k Monitor for PS5 and my Mac :confused: Or is that where there is no real soultion ?
There are plenty of solutions but they’ll all have a compromise somewhere. If you go for anything other than the ASD then you just won’t get the razor sharp text and bang on colours from the 5k panel.
If you DO go ASD I can’t vouch for PS5 performance as I’ve never had one but I can confidentially say that the slow response time and 60hz will be, shall we say, sub-optimal. The only inputs are USB C so bear that in mind. Again, I’m sure there are adapters/workarounds but having never owned a recent console I can’t say what they are.

Soldato
There are plenty of solutions but they’ll all have a compromise somewhere. If you go for anything other than the ASD then you just won’t get the razor sharp text and bang on colours from the 5k panel.
If you DO go ASD I can’t vouch for PS5 performance as I’ve never had one but I can confidentially say that the slow response time and 60hz will be, shall we say, sub-optimal. The only inputs are USB C so bear that in mind. Again, I’m sure there are adapters/workarounds but having never owned a recent console I can’t say what they are.
You say plenty of solutions, if it’s not ASD, what are the alternatives?

Sorry for all the questions seems like a minefield. The Alienware one I would have probably gone for but burn in for productivity seems to be a real concern.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom