Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
Commissario
My second one (the original one I ordered) is now showing "We’re preparing your order and will notify you when it ships", even though the green bar is still on Processing.

The delivery window is still 27th June - 11th July.

Commissario
And magically, this has happened overnight.

Preparing to Ship
When your order has shipped, we’ll send you tracking information. Due to the impact of COVID-19 and increased demand for online shopping, we recommend visiting Track Shipment for the most up-to-date delivery information, as well as options to reschedule or redirect your delivery.

Soldato
OP
Did anyone go for the nano texture screen ? If so is it worth it?

Go to an Apple store and try it. The visuals are not as good as the normal version, they look less bright and less sharp. But they're great at avoiding glare. So only get it if you absolutely need to avoid reflections.

Commissario
I had a look because where I have one of my monitors, I get a reflection of my window.

I’m very confident the nano would have removed the glare completely but I didn’t like the reduced brightness and I felt it looked slightly fuzzy compared to the non nano.

If I were just running one display, it would probably be OK but I have two next to each other and that just wouldn’t have worked.

Oh, they supply a special cleaning cloth with the nano and that’s what you’re supposed to use to deal with the texture.

Caporegime
I'm tempted to get one of these. I have a Mini with 2 thunderbolt ports and could really do with some more ports. I also want some speakers for just watching YouTube etc. I'm thinking instead of buying a hub and speakers to just get one of these and give my son my dell monitor. The TB ports on the back I would want to plug in my SSD's for back up and Time Machine. Are there any issues with these getting disconnected when your Mac goes to sleep?

Soldato
OP
I'm tempted to get one of these. I have a Mini with 2 thunderbolt ports and could really do with some more ports. I also want some speakers for just watching YouTube etc. I'm thinking instead of buying a hub and speakers to just get one of these and give my son my dell monitor. The TB ports on the back I would want to plug in my SSD's for back up and Time Machine. Are there any issues with these getting disconnected when your Mac goes to sleep?

My TM backup SSD is connected to the monitor, everything works just fine.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It was plug and play with my USB C Windows laptop but I couldn't change the brightness. It was locked to max which is eye searingly bright. I'm sure there's a workaround that involves switching to Mac to adjust the brightness and back again.

I'd be tempted to wait for the Samsung S9 5K 27" monitor if you want better cross OS support. Q1 is rumoured for a release date. I'm certainly keeping my eye on it.

Soldato
OP
Good luck getting it to work with Windows, there's a huge thread on Macrumors about it, it almost certainly won't just work out of the box with a Windows PC.

It actually would just work out of the box as long as the Windows PC has the right connectivity (DP 1.4 over thunderbolt 3/4). Most issues that people have are due to using the wrong cables, USB-C ports and thunderbolt ports that don't have DP passthrough, which is sadly common on Windows PCs.

It was plug and play with my USB C Windows laptop but I couldn't change the brightness. It was locked to max which is eye searingly bright. I'm sure there's a workaround that involves switching to Mac to adjust the brightness and back again.

I'd be tempted to wait for the Samsung S9 5K 27" monitor if you want better cross OS support. Q1 is rumoured for a release date. I'm certainly keeping my eye on it.

There are third-party tools that handle brightness on Windows, there's even a way to get the iCloud windows app work which adds native brightness control on Windows. It's fine if you're buying it for mac and might want to connect a Windows PC to it.

However I agree and don't recommend buying it exclusively for a Windows PC, for that wait for other upcoming 5K monitors.

Last edited:
Commissario
That's the thing, it's quite a minefield as to whether it'll work, and if it does, what's supported. As you say, I wouldn't buy one specifically to use with Windows. Conversely, I was considering building a cheapish gaming PC to use for a couple of specific games but that minefield as to whether the display would work put me off completely.

It's something to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom