** The Official WWDC 2011 Thread **

Soldato
20110525-ef12in9mqjf6y1xijxjhf4fmwf.jpg

Apple Press Release - May 31 said:
CUPERTINO, California-May 31, 2011-Apple® CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS® X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple's advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad®, iPhone® and iPod touch®; and iCloud®, Apple's upcoming cloud services offering.

WWDC will feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers. Mac® developers will see and learn how to develop world-class Mac OS X Lion applications using its latest technologies and capabilities. Mobile developers will be able to explore the latest innovations and capabilities of iOS and learn how to greatly enhance the functionality, performance and design of their apps. All developers can bring their code to the labs and work with Apple engineers.

For more details, visit the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2011 website at developer.apple.com/wwdc.

Apple Press Release - March 28 said:
CUPERTINO, California-March 28, 2011-Apple® today announced that it will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) June 6 through June 10 at San Francisco's Moscone West. At this year's five-day conference Apple will unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS®, including exciting demonstrations of the new kinds of apps that developers can build using Apple's advanced frameworks and more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers.

"At this year's conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "If you are an iOS or Mac OS X software developer, this is the event that you do not want to miss."

What is WWDC 2011?
The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) is the most important annual event for anyone innovating with Apple technologies. Thousands of developers from around the world come to California each year to receive in-depth information and instruction from Apple’s technical architects and engineers.

The five-day event running from June 6 to June 10, is focused on providing advanced content for skilled developers across five key technology tracks: Application Frameworks; Internet & Web; Graphics & Media; Developer Tools; and Core OS. Apple engineers will deliver over 100 solutions-oriented technical sessions and labs. WWDC 2011 gives an incredibly diverse community the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iPhone, iPad and Mac developers from around the world.

When is WWDC 2011?
WWDC 2011 takes place June 6-10, 2011

Where is WWDC 2011?
WWDC will be held at Moscone Center West in San Francisco, California. For more information about the convention center, please visit the Moscone Center website.

What are the topics for WWDC 2011?
Information about sessions, labs, and special events are provided at the WWDC website at Apple.com.

What is rumoured for WWDC 2011?
  • Next Generation iPhone Hardware
  • Next Generation iPhone OS update 5.0
  • Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Release
  • Cloud-Based iTunes & MobileMe Announcements

Where can I watch WWDC 2011?

Unless you have a ticket (now sold out), sadly it's still out of bounds. Apple doesn't cover the keynote live, and others are prohibited to do so!

HOWEVER - not all is lost, mac-related websites/blogs around the world are here to give you the latest breaking news via RSS-News Feeds and other "Live Update" blogs.

I will keep an up-to-date list of the sites which will give you "Live Updates" of the event below...

MacRumorsLive.com
Engadget.com
Engadget.com - Reporting live before & after the event
Twit.tv

As always, Apple are kind enough to upload the keynote shortly after it's finished. You are often able to stream it from Apple Events or alternatively, you can wait 24 hours after the keynote to download it in high quality straight from your iTunes!

The keynote starts at 10:00 AM (PT), also known to us brits as 18:00 PM, on the 6th June 2011! Be there!

Other times are:
07:00AM - Hawaii
10:00AM - Pacific
11:00AM - Mountain
12:00PM - Central
01:00PM - Eastern
06:00PM - London
07:00PM - Paris
02:00AM - Tokyo (June 7th)

Thread Last Updated:
  • 7th June 2011 - Added Day One Summary
  • 6th June 2011 - Added Engadget live feed & Twit.tv
  • 31st May 2011 - Added May 31st Press Release
  • 25th May 2011 - Thread Creation

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is it definitely not being broadcast live like last year? The last few keynotes have been available to stream providing you were using OSX or iOS devices.

We won't know until nearer the time whether or not it's being streamed - But the last apple event wasn't streamed :(

But if it is streamed, I will keep the OP updated, so keep an eye out :)

---

The last few Apple conferences have been a pretty big disappointment in my opinion - I hope they can blow people away with some new things :p I'm really hoping for some more information on the new MobileMe service that is being rumoured, and see what is coming up in the next MacOS update :)

Soldato
OP
To be honest... the whole conference stinks of software updates... I wouldn't be surprised if we saw no hardware updates in this conference.

Or perhaps, it will be the "One more thing..." that Jobs is so famous for :p

Soldato
OP
I agree with this. They'd be mad not to bring out some new iPhone related hardware at all this year (the iPhone white doesn't really count).

They could announce it later on in the year at their next media event - I would imagine there will be release this year - but I think it'll be later this year now.

Soldato
OP
Apple never normally pre-announces what they're going to be presenting, even in the press releases. This is taken straight from the press release.

They're setting expectations. I would be very surprised if there was any new hardware at WWDC. September, maybe.
Exactly - I think they are dousing any massive expectations when it comes to hardware...

Soldato
OP
Hardware isn't the main focus of the WWDC though, and I'm pretty excited by their bullish pre-anouncment, it seems like they're saying 'ok enough of this crap, we're doing it in a big way'

This is what I'm thinking - I think the last few WWDCs have been disappointing. With this announcement they are letting us know - Forget about the hardware.

However, I could be totally wrong and they could have posted the announcement on purpose to build suspense and have the "One more thing..." have a little more shock :p

Soldato
OP
Tipb.com said:
Apple has filed their trademark under 12 distinct International Classes covering such matters as delivering digital music by telecommunications, electronic storage, online social networking services, multimedia content for a fee or pre-paid subscription, computer software, electronic books and magazines, entertainment, photographic services, business management and advertising services, games, headgear and digital devices/computers.

Apple Official Takes iCloud.com - Source

My whole take on this is...

MobileMe.com will become iCloud.com
iCloud.com will allow for complete iTunes syncing over the internet
iCloud will include MobileMe features as well new features such as the photographic service with Twitter etc.

Next Monday can not come sooner :p

Soldato
OP
^ Sounds about right (with game saves in the cloud too etc) They could make real headway in the EU as Amazon/Google services are US only atm.

Will the basic service be free?
There are rumours that some the service will be free to users who upgrade to the Lion OS

Soldato
OP
I'm so syked for this one :) It looks like there's going to be a lot of new stuff :)

According to the blogosphere, Apple stores have started getting promotional material to be opened on Tuesday.

Soldato
OP
Surely the promo stuff is for Lion, not anything hardware related though?
I think hardware wise we can probably expect stealth upgrades to Time Machine and Macbook Air - but it'll be a five minute little "Oh and by the way, we've upgraded these, check them out in store".

But that's it. Next weeks WWDC will be software heavy to be sure :)

Soldato
OP
I'm officially excited now, I really hope this is what I've been looking for (iTunes streaming etc.)

To have a large collection of tunes but having that tied to one computer is annoying, and portable devices can never carry it all, so this missing gap I hope Apple fill it.

If it's true of all purchases being made streamable and all your personal songs uploaded to the cloud it would free up so much, you wouldn't need big HDDs anymore, and knowing you could access your content anywhere with wifi would be epic.

I heard in a recent blog post that iCloud would only allow for songs bought on the iTunes store to be used on the cloud. Other songs may be "coming soon".

Macrumors.com said:
CNet reports that labels will get 58%, publishers 12%, while Apple retains 30%. They also add that streaming won't be available on Monday but will be offered "soon". And at first, Apple will only store music in iCloud that was purchased in iTunes, but Apple is looking to include songs outside iTunes "sometime in the future".

Source - Apple Finally Signs Universal Music, iCloud Streaming Available "Soon"

Slightly disappointing if that's the case :p

Soldato
OP
Engadget will have a live video feed! I guess this means no official streamed video, but equally I won't have to rely on a purely text-based commentary. W00t.

Don't get too excited - It looks like it'll be live before and then after the conference...

Engadget.com said:
But this year we're bringing you more: two live broadcasts to give you some extra analysis. At around 10:30am ET (that's 7:30am on the best coast), before Apple kicks off the show, Tim and Darren will go over the expected big announcements for the day, talking iCloud, iOS 5, and Mac OS X Lion. Then, once the dust settles, join us again for a second live broadcast to dive deep into the day's announcements and any other surprises Mr. Jobs has in store for us. Hopefully we'll all survive.

Source

Soldato
OP
Well I'm not sure what I'll do here, I think I might just down right block it all out and wait for the video...thats no surfing and no MSN!

Doesn't leave me with much to do after 6, I can only play L4D2 for about 45mins before I rage quit, or I'll watch the soaps.

:o :p

I have been thinking about that - But I know for a fact I will want to be on Engadget and on here probably throwing rubbish such as:

"iOS5 OH YEEEAAAHHH! :p"
Or other classics like...
"Whoa! That was awesome."

:p

Soldato
OP
Is the keynote going to be streamed live?
Or is it a case of watching live blogs again?
Cheers!

Not heard anything on a live stream unfortunately :( Will update the OP if there is one - however it's looking like watching live blogs again :p

Back
Top Bottom