** The Official WWDC 2012 Thread **

Caporegime
But not with a phone camera, we want high resolution as its the apple forum! :p

Phate we are all immensely jealous/excited :D

Hah, Ok I'll bust out the SLR for you ;)

You do know its just an iMac...right? (admittedly it will be quite literally THE highest spec one they do, but hey!)

DO I post pics when it arrives? or once I've dismantled it to fit the hard drive and ram kit? :) (if it's the latter it'll be a about a further week wait!)

Soldato
OP
Hah, Ok I'll bust out the SLR for you ;)

You do know its just an iMac...right? (admittedly it will be quite literally THE highest spec one they do, but hey!)

DO I post pics when it arrives? or once I've dismantled it to fit the hard drive and ram kit? :) (if it's the latter it'll be a about a further week wait!)

Ahh yeah I forgot you went with the iMac in the end :p

Still pics are always nice of your final setup :D

Caporegime
Ahh yeah I forgot you went with the iMac in the end :p

Still pics are always nice of your final setup :D

Thought it was a MBPRD :( aw never mind.

hahaha I thought that might be have been the case! :D

To be honest if they released one in a 13" form then I would have ordered one of those too (worst I have a few quid post, EVAH) - despite the 15" being nice and light and practically the same weight as my 2008 Ali Macbook...15" is just too big for me to carry around, I'm used to 13"

Plus for what I use my Macbook for, IE just web browsing in the front room and nothing major...it would have been a bit overkill, spec wise.

So yeah, I'm waiting for the 13" :)

Associate
After all the hype I've now had time to look a little closer at the updates and I find myself being somewhat dissapointed.

I currently have a 2010 13" MBP. I've upgraded the RAM to 8gig and replaced the mechanical hard drive with a 256gb SSD. Now whilst I'm happy with it I do find the 1280x800 resolution limiting at times so was considering an upgrade.

The 13" atfer the uodate still has a 1280x800 resolution and no quad core cpu so hardly worth the upgrade for me.

The 15" MBP with retina display on first glance looks to be a thing of beauty. However after looking a little closer I find the hard drive, memory and battery are now not user changable. Then there is the display which seems to be one whole unit which includes the iSight Camera, WiFi antennas, and Bluetooth antennas. Costly too replace should any of those go wrong without Applecare.

Speccing one with 16gb of RAM, ethenet adaptor and Applecare will set you back over £2250, upgrade the cpu and ssd and it's nearly £3500 :eek:

A high price to pay bearing in mind you could get you a iMac and iPad and change for that price!!

Jack

Last edited:
Permabanned
hahaha I thought that might be have been the case! :D

To be honest if they released one in a 13" form then I would have ordered one of those too (worst I have a few quid post, EVAH) - despite the 15" being nice and light and practically the same weight as my 2008 Ali Macbook...15" is just too big for me to carry around, I'm used to 13"

Plus for what I use my Macbook for, IE just web browsing in the front room and nothing major...it would have been a bit overkill, spec wise.

So yeah, I'm waiting for the 13" :)

15" is too big for me too so going to wait to see if there is a 13" out next.

Associate
Has apple explained why they dropped the 17'' macbook pro?

An Apple rep in John Lewis told me they were selling a ridiculousness low amount.

....he also told me, when I asked why the Macbooks were glued down on the display, that without measuring, he knew all the Macbooks on display would be 12cm from the edge of the desk, and the reason they were stuck down was so the proles wouldn't put them back down in an slapdash fashion.

Stuff you learn...

Soldato
I'm still reeling that the battery, RAM and HDD are all glued in (not to mention adapter fiasco). And what happened to the space from the Superdrive?

Have a guess what I changed in my 2008 MBP. No, don't guess I'll tell ya. Firstly the RAM, secondly the HDD, thirdly the battery, 4thly removed superdrive and fitted an SSD. Total cost of no more than £300 over the four years I've had it. Greedy Apple ****'s. They are only gluing stuff in to make themselves more profit and further dumbing down their user base. Sigh.

Associate
......Have a guess what I changed in my 2008 MBP. No, don't guess I'll tell ya. Firstly the RAM, secondly the HDD, thirdly the battery, 4thly removed superdrive and fitted an SSD. Total cost of no more than £300 over the four years I've had it. Greedy Apple ****'s. They are only gluing stuff in to make themselves more profit and further dumbing down their user base. Sigh.

Thats pretty much what I've done, based on keeping it for 3 years. Maybe Apple are targeting this market to upgrade more often in this new design?

Jack

Back
Top Bottom