** The Official WWDC 2012 Thread **

Soldato
VX6UR.jpg

Engadget said:
It's time to shift around that summer vacation. Apple today announced that it will be kicking off this year's World Wide Developers Conference on June 11th at San Francisco's Moscone West. The event is set to run through the 15th, focusing on developing for OS X Mountain Lion and iOS, by way of 100-plus technical sessions and hands-on labs, letting the developer community work directly with Cupertino staff -- and you can bet we'll be there as well.

Apple Press Release said:
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference to Kick Off June 11 at Moscone West in San Francisco

Apple® today announced that it will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) June 11 through June 15 at San Francisco's Moscone West. At this year's five-day conference, developers will learn about the future of iOS and OS X®, allowing them to build incredible new apps. WWDC will also feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers as well as the popular Apple Design Awards, a showcase of the most outstanding apps from the past year.

"We have a great WWDC planned this year and can't wait to share the latest news about iOS and OS X Mountain Lion with developers"

"We have a great WWDC planned this year and can't wait to share the latest news about iOS and OS X Mountain Lion with developers," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The iOS platform has created an entirely new industry with fantastic opportunities for developers across the country and around the world."

Developers will be able to explore the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X Mountain Lion and learn how to greatly enhance the functionality, performance, quality and design of their apps. Developers can even bring their code to the labs and work with Apple engineers, applying development techniques and best-practices to enhance their apps.

Activities at Apple's WWDC 2012 include:

more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of technology-specific topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
100 hands-on labs staffed by more than 1,000 Apple engineers providing developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world-last year more than 60 countries were represented;
engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone®, iPad® and Mac® apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.

Please go to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2012 website (developer.apple.com/wwdc) to purchase tickets, as well as for updates and more information.

Developers who are unable to attend this year's conference can access and watch all technical sessions from the Apple Developer website (developer.apple.com/videos) as soon as they are posted for free.

What is Rumoured?
  • iOS 6.0 - iOS 6.0 is in the works - Not a whole lot is known about it at the moment, but it is suspected to make an appearance (and possibly released) at WWDC this year!
  • New Macbook Air/Pro Models - It is rumoured that a new model of Macbook Pro is due to be released within the next few months which takes features from Apples successful "Air" range, and combines them with features from their Pro range.
  • New iMac/Mac Pro Models - It's becoming more apparent that the new iMacs may wait until WWDC to be released. Rumoured to be using NVIDIA graphics and possibly have a Retina Display
  • OS Update - Mountain Lion - We should see some more features of the new OS unveiled at WWDC. Rumours are suggesting a release soon after WWDC.

Where can I watch this years WWDC?

No announcement has been made that a live stream will be available, so we will be reading/watching live blogs.

An updated list is below:

MacRumorsLive.com
Engadget.com
Twit.tv

The keynote starts at 10:00 AM (PT), also known to us brits as 18:00 PM, on the 11th June 2012! Be there!

Other times are:
07:00AM - Hawaii
10:00AM - Pacific
11:00AM - Mountain
12:00PM - Central
01:00PM - Eastern
06:00PM - London
07:00PM - Paris
02:00AM - Tokyo (June 12th)

Thread Last Updated:
  • 13th June 2012 - Added First Day Summary (See Below)
  • 10th June 2012 - Added Rumour Round-Up (10.06.12) & Added Time/Live Blog links
  • 15th May 2012 - Added Rumour Round-Up (15.05.12) & Updated Rumours
  • 25th April 2012 - Thread Creation

---

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah can't see the phone being announced if they are sticking to the October release cycle. But that said, so many rumours point to a June release that you just never know

Soldato
Yeah can't see the phone being announced if they are sticking to the October release cycle. But that said, so many rumours point to a June release that you just never know

What rumours? I haven't seen many to date, apart from a leaked home button the other day.

Soldato
Problem is that a lot of rumours tend to arise from websites stating their speculation as if it were fact, or by people having a wild guess, or by people thinking that any possible next generation product could be released at WWDC. Going by this last bit of logic, the likelihood of the iPhone 5 coming out is only a slight amount more likely than an ATV 4 coming out...:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
This should be in Software. Doubt we'll see anything hardware at this years WWDC.

How can you possibly know that?

All media event threads in the past have been in the Hardware forums regardless of what will and have occurred.

In conclusion - No. :p

I personally believe the next iPhone (Which will almost definitely just be called "iPhone", as it's iPad brother has become), will be released in the same timeframe as the iPhone 4S - But there is still a possibility of showing it off at the WWDC. I agree that iOS 6.0 is much more likely to make an appearance.

I also have a feeling the iMacs may make a showing at WWDC... it might just be my wishful thinking though :p

Soldato
OP
It will be called "The New Iphone"

If its following the same name logic as the ipad !

As far as I know the latest iPad isn't called "The New iPad". It just was... well the new and latest iPad :p They're using the same naming routine as Macs in the past. For example, you don't call a Macbook Pro a "Macbook Pro 5" :p

So this year, I imagine it'll be "iPhone (2012 Model)".

Soldato
OP
sorry, i think you need to do some more research...

the last time hardware was announced other than i devices at WWDC was like 2006?

WWDC 2009 had Macbook Airs and Pros updated and iPhone 3GS.

It isn't a "Software Only" conference. So anything is possible.

Soldato
sorry, i think you need to do some more research...

the last time hardware was announced other than i devices at WWDC was like 2006?

Actually it was 2009

Wikipedia said:
2009 took place from June 8 to June 12 at Moscone West, San Francisco, and Apple reported that the 2009 conference sold out in late April. Announcements at the keynote included the release of the iOS 3.0 software announced to developers in March, a demonstration of Mac OS X v10.6, the new 13" MacBook Pro, updates to the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, and the new iPhone 3GS. Phil Schiller, Apple's SVP for Product Marketing, presented the WWDC keynote this year, instead of the traditional presenter Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, who had taken medical leave of absence since the beginning of the year.[6] Attendees received a neoprene messenger bag. For the bash held June 11, the band Cake played at the Yerba Buena Gardens.

Soldato
There's no chance of a new iPhone announcement at all. Eight months after the launch of the 4S? No way - they'll alienate far too many 4S owners and put people off upgrading as frequently in the future.

As to what new hardware will be announced, if any, how about the iPod Touch perhaps? Just guessing here but it's been a while now since the 4th gen was launched so possibly a new model with the dual-core A5 from the 4S? If I was feeling really bold I'd speculate that maybe they'd launch one with a new 32nm processor as a test-bed for the next iPhone, much as they've tested the waters with the 32nm process with the A5 in the iPad2 recently?

Back
Top Bottom