** The Official WWDC 2012 Thread **

Soldato
You can get it on devices without UDID activation. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for it.

> Install fresh iOS 5.X.X > Activate
> Download iOS 6.0 IPSW
> Click OPTION/ALT + Check for Update (OSX) in iTunes (Not Restore).
> Browse IPSW
> Restore > Leave > YeY!

Can you revert to 5.1.1 if you don't like it? :p

Caporegime
This little thing called a freqking large custom battery to power the display. That's where the SuperDrive space has gone.

Plus as well people want stuff thinner, something has to go...bye bye superdrive.

I admit, I hate paying Apple prices for Ram and HDD/SSD (which is exactly why I'm not paying it on the iMac so I can fit it myself) and have upgraded the Ram in both my MB and MP...

However, I can see these machines lasting a long LONG time...the spec of them is ridiculous. Engadget threw everything at it and said it didn't even show a hint of slowing down.

Quite basically you shouldn't need to upgrade, if I were to order I'd spec 16gb RAM...SSD wise I'm not sure. 256gb is plenty for travelling around with (remember it's a laptop, not a desktop replacement)...anyone who needs more than that is likely to have an external drive knocking around, or has one to backup to anyway.

As far as the battery goes, well I'd just take out the 3 year warranty then towards the end of that have a wing and say it doesn't last for very long, or make up some kind of excuse so they are liable to replace it under warranty and job done :)

Associate
The HDD / RAM etc being glued in, that's just on the retina display MBP right? I can still upgrade the HDD / RAM at a later date on the new 13" model?

Soldato
Went and had a play with one in my local Apple reseller.

Pics for the MBPR compared with a new MBA for size, screen looked very good. 15" just looks too big though as the keyboard and trackpad don't take up enough room leaving you with so much space that has nothing on it.

13" Air looked very nice. I'm gonna get a MBPR is a few weeks still.

MBPR

MBA

Apologies for the picture quality, I only had my brand new pebble blue Samsung Galaxy S3 with me ;)

Soldato
U28MT.jpg

To order, or not to order.

:mad:

Looking at that, it's the much smaller inter-pixel spacing that's as much a benefit as the higher PPI.

I would have rather seen a 1920 x 1200 with the same quality of display.

1440x900 won't help with productivity, and scaled 1920x1200 isn't ideal even if the scaler is good.

You would think apple could have updated OSX to run 2880x1800 natively, guess they must be hardup and can't affored the programming time. Not having this limits the full res useage to full screen applications only, such as Diablio 3. :/

Soldato
not having the 2880x1800 exposed as a usable res has nothing to do with programming, the text would be so small youd have eye strain just using it.

see anandtech's review of the display under windows 8 where it shows native res being used, which is by the way unusable.

1920x1200 scaled still looks very sharp the scaler in the mbpr does an amazing job, mostly helped by the tiny pixels compared to standard displays.

StevenG

Associate
But have they locked down OSX so it wont use HiDPI logos on other "retina" displays.

Some people have super decent external displays with high resolutions...

Soldato
not having the 2880x1800 exposed as a usable res has nothing to do with programming, the text would be so small youd have eye strain just using it.

see anandtech's review of the display under windows 8 where it shows native res being used, which is by the way unusable.

1920x1200 scaled still looks very sharp the scaler in the mbpr does an amazing job, mostly helped by the tiny pixels compared to standard displays.

StevenG

That's why it needs programing. You increase the text size to accommodate the higher res so the text is readable, but you get the full benefit of the screen when you want that level of detail, it wouldn't be for everyone, but this is a Pro machine. It would be good for photowork, naturally programs would have to be updated as well, but if Apple made the effort others might follow. :)

Soldato
Didn't want to start a new thread for this but will there definitely be a new iPhone in the near future? Had mine stolen whilst on holiday so a replacement is needed but I don't want to she'll out on another 4S if they'll be a new one soon.....

Back
Top Bottom