The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm not sure you're really comparing like for like there to be fair...citing some hardcore antifa accounts being banned is kinda like citing some oathkeeper types getting banned, and these hardcore antifa types are presumably people quite explicitly coordinating riots etc..

No, the Antifa accounts were not involved with the riots at all. Nor was the BLM-supporting legal non-profit.

plenty of public figures, and politicians were openly supportive or encouraging even of BLM protests/rits... lots of chat about the voices of the unheard etc.. journalists writing opinion pieces in support of violence etc.. you didn't see them getting banned for it

Yes, a lot of people made dumb excuses for the violence once it was happening, and didn't get banned for this. But I am pretty sure they were not people who had spent weeks telling everyone to riot. And of course, none of them were the president of the US.

Caporegime
Is Musk playing the stock market again? You can bet someone is making a pretty penny out of a drop like that!

Musk has stated on Twitter that he is committed to the purchase. However, that purchase is currently locked into a price of $44 billion. He cannot change the price now, even if he wanted to. So his options are to buy at $44 billion, or to withdraw.

To date he has raised $7 billion.

Commissario
Musk has stated on Twitter that he is committed to the purchase. However, that purchase is currently locked into a price of $44 billion. He cannot change the price now, even if he wanted to. So his options are to buy at $44 billion, or to withdraw.

Ah well, if he doesn't complete on time I'm sure he won't miss the billion the contract he signed requires him to pay.

Soldato

I mean in terms of manipulating the current value of shares, he knew full well when he put out that tweet twitter shares would fall dramatically and low and behold they did. He has been heavily censored for this sort of thing with Tesla prices in the past….

Caporegime
No, the Antifa accounts were not involved with the riots at all. Nor was the BLM-supporting legal non-profit.

Yes, a lot of people made dumb excuses for the violence once it was happening, and didn't get banned for this. But I am pretty sure they were not people who had spent weeks telling everyone to riot. And of course, none of them were the president of the US.
How would you know the Antifa accounts weren’t involved in the riots?

I don’t think Trump spent weeks telling people to riot either.

Soldato

He spent weeks telling them their votes and country were being stolen. What else do you think would happen when you whip supporters up into a storm that culminates at the Capitol building on the day Congress meets to count the electoral votes? It happened exactly as Trump hoped it would which is why he didn't do a thing for several hours even though members of Congress, his own family members and Fox news hosts were begging him to make it stop.

Soldato
I am strongly opposed to BLM and their violent shenanigans, but you're wrong about the lack of consequences for their side.

More than 1,000 people were arrested as a result of the BLM riots (thanks largely to Twitter data provided by artificial intelligence firm Dataminr, which has unparalleled access to the platform).

Twitter banned a bunch of high profile Antifa accounts, and the account of a non-profit organisation that provides legal support for BLM members. There was also a general purge of left wing accounts across Twitter and Facebook.

Meanwhile, Trump stoked the flames of dissent for months, spread lies about the integrity of the election, and encouraged his supporters to march on the Capitol while he was POTUS. That's not exactly small potatoes.

Trump was impeached and lost his Twitter account, but apart from that he's faced no consequences whatsoever. He should be in prison for what he did, preferably alongside another 1,000 BLM rioters.

I don't think protesting at Capitol Hill is against the law, I don't think Trump wanted people to enter the Capitol Building and he didn't encourage that based on what he said, individuals were responsible for that and should be punished accordingly. Trump was found not guilty by the Senate because he didn't tell people to go break the law as much as the media have decided he did, he told people he thought the election was rigged - I don't believe it was but he's entitled to that opinion if he believes it.

He spent weeks telling them their votes and country were being stolen. What else do you think would happen when you whip supporters up into a storm that culminates at the Capitol building on the day Congress meets to count the electoral votes? It happened exactly as Trump hoped it would which is why he didn't do a thing for several hours even though members of Congress, his own family members and Fox news hosts were begging him to make it stop.

The media spent the years prior telling people the election was hacked by Russia, literally years of non stop fake news about Russia "hacking" the election.

Last edited:
Caporegime

This. It is immensely naive to think otherwise/not to see Trump's true intentions.

Caporegime

Because they were run by well known hardcore anarchist groups who were only ever linked to riots against Trump and Biden, not riots supporting BLM. In fact, it seems I got the timeline wrong. They lost their accounts after organising riots against Biden in 2021, not during Trump's term while the BLM riots were raging.

I didn't say he did. But he sure as hell spent weeks convincing them that they had good reason to do so.

Caporegime
He spent weeks telling them their votes and country were being stolen.

So what? Voicing his opinion on votes being stolen, as deranged as it was has got little to do with breaking twitter rules.
I didn't say he did. But he sure as hell spent weeks convincing them that they had good reason to do so.

That isn't a good reason to suspend him and again, see the same sort of stuff with politicians supporting BLM and Antifa, blowing grievances there well out of proportion; it works both ways...

Caporegime
I don't think protesting at Capitol Hill is against the law

It's not, and if that's all they'd done, there would be no problem. But they rioted and cause millions of dollars worth of damaged while invading the Capitol building and threatening violence against lawmakers.
Trump was found not guilty by the Senate because he didn't tell people to go break the law as much as the media have decided he did

Hilarious nonsense. The only reason he escaped conviction in the Senate is because senators voted along party lines and the Democrats didn't have the numbers to win. His acquittal was a foregone conclusion that had nothing to do with evidence.

he told people he thought the election was rigged - I don't believe it was but he's entitled to that opinion if he believes it.

But he's not entitled to related that opinion constantly to the American public with the aim of inciting his base. Particularly when it's a demonstrable lie.

The media spent the years prior telling people the election was hacked by Russia

Well it was certainly interfered with, that can't be denied. Russia spent millions of dollars on her social media blitz alone, and American authorities identified the people responsible. Russia also hacked the DNC to gain emails and other data. That's not fake news at all.

Notice also that Hillary did not rile up her supporters over this, and Democrats did not riot.

Caporegime
That isn't a good reason to suspend him

Why not? It was a breach of Twitter's ToS, that's the only justification they need.

and again, see the same sort of stuff with politicians supporting BLM and Antifa, blowing grievances there well out of proportion; it works both ways...

I agree that any pro-BLM politician who did what Trump did, should be suspended. Do you know of any?

Caporegime
Why not? It was a breach of Twitter's ToS, that's the only justification they need.
Stating the election was stolen? Nope.
I agree that any pro-BLM politician who did what Trump did, should be suspended. Do you know of any?
On what grounds should they be suspended? Why can't they focus loads of attention on some police killing or voice an opinion that outrage is justified etc..?

Soldato
The media spent the years prior telling people the election was hacked by Russia, literally years of non stop fake news about Russia "hacking" the election.

The Republican controlled Senate Intelligence Committee report on Russian Interference said Russia interfered to help Trump in 2016 and there was contact between his campaign and Russian agents.

So its nothing like Trump spending weeks and arguably years (he said in 2016 he could only lose if there was fraud and said he lost the popular vote because of fraud, there was no fraud) telling his supporters that the election was rigged and fraudulent.

When the citizens of a country no longer believe their vote counts it is going to end in violence. You are pretty much excusing what happened on Jan 6th because of the Russian interference story and that it was publicised in the press. For the last time it wasn't fake news Roar, it happened.

Soldato
So what? Voicing his opinion on votes being stolen, as deranged as it was has got little to do with breaking twitter rules.

When it ends in a violent insurrection it is. Would there have been a violent insurrection if Trump had spouted his deranged lies? No there wouldn't. Why would Twitter want to be associated in any way with such an act as Twitter was his main way of communicating with fans.

I think they should let him back on Twitter. People should be reminded of just how deranged and dangerous to society he is.

Caporegime
When it ends in a violent insurrection it is. Would there have been a violent insurrection if Trump had spouted his deranged lies? No there wouldn't. Why would Twitter want to be associated in any way with such an act as Twitter was his main way of communicating with fans.

So again, you could say the same thing about BLM riots etc.. Or indeed anyone prominent who apparently believes something or gets angry about something and speaks about it then later there is some rioting.

Soldato
So again, you could say the same thing about BLM riots etc..

Where have I said that people who encouraged violence and looting shouldn't have had their accounts suspended? It isn't the same though, any person who might have been doing that with BLM riots wasn't the elected POTUS and in a position of incredible power and influence. They weren't undermining the democratic process either for their own selfish personal attempt to hang on to power. You are comparing apples with oranges.

Caporegime
It isn't the same though, any person who might have been doing that with BLM riots wasn't the elected POTUS and in a position of incredible power and influence. They weren't undermining the democratic process either for their own selfish personal attempt to hang on to power. You are comparing apples with oranges.

No, I'm making a straight comparison between the issue you highlighted in that post. Now you're adding in some additional comment about him being POTUS.

Surely the principle is the same regardless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom