The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
And thus move away from the very thing that made twitter popular...

If that is the reason then musk is a bigger fool than I thought, as it shows not only does he not understand how twitter made money, but why twitter was popular, and how he's going to fail utterly given the sort of people he's been courting are not serious at all, many of them are barely on the same plane of reality as the bulk of the human population.

It's a business orientated marketplace, it wasn't when Dorsey first launched it though. It's changed
It's not GD, it's more like speakers corner

Last edited:
Lol, did you find that out when you emailed [email protected]? Proper serious is the direction twitter clearly isn't heading

The Speaker's Corner here remains free of charge and is, I am often told, the epitome of serious discussion.

I suspect the elevation of Twitter from something akin to a Slopton in the Slush's Student's Union debating hall, run by a bunch of overly empowered and overly emotional kids, to something that needs some ongoing financial input to show one's seriousness for wanting access to an international platform is anathema to those that have long milked it without having to pay a penny.

There is levels to it isn't there. Will there be no fraud or troll bot accounts going forward due to these changes? No. There will still be numerous stories of it.
But it'll it reduce the instances of it. It'll reduce the total it seems
It will also similarly reduce the number of daily users and interactions once again reducing the advertising revenue and further killing a company that is getting continually further away from making a profit under new ownership than it was before he arrived!

It will also similarly reduce the number of daily users and interactions once again reducing the advertising revenue and further killing a company that is getting continually further away from making a profit under new ownership than it was before he arrived!

Hard to tell. The idea that non blue check mark accounts have absorbing debates with blue check mark accounts is a fallacy. The interaction has always been heavily favoured towards people with blue check marks, been like it for years. But I have several friends who have upgraded to the blue check mark, and only now can they interact and be noticed by certain people they follow on Twitter. They are loving it. I haven't upgraded yet, i only use it for reading and research. I don't see why that function would vanish for me though

Hmm

Last edited:
The Speaker's Corner here remains free of charge and is, I am often told, the epitome of serious discussion.

I suspect the elevation of Twitter from something akin to a Slopton in the Slush's Student's Union debating hall, run by a bunch of overly empowered and overly emotional kids, to something that needs some ongoing financial input to show one's seriousness for wanting access to an international platform is anathema to those that have long milked it without having to pay a penny.

You don't seem to know how Twitter works Chris. People use Twitter to see and interact with people who are in or work around subjects they are interested in. Twitter got content from these people for free, they now what to charge them for it. If these people then either decide to leave after they lose there blue tick or refuse to pay and so their content disappears to users, what brings people to Twitter? If I can't see content on say motorcycle racing unless the people pay $7 a month then that side of Twitter is useless to me now and its useless to them too.

You don't seem to know how Twitter works Chris. People use Twitter to see and interact with people who are in or work around subjects they are interested in. Twitter got content from these people for free, they now what to charge them for it. If these people then either decide to leave after they lose there blue tick or refuse to pay and so their content disappears to users, what brings people to Twitter? If I can't see content on say motorcycle racing unless the people pay $7 a month then that side of Twitter is useless to me now and its useless to them too.

Why do they have to pay $7 to create content? If you follow a person who has 500 followers, doesn't pay for a blue check mark, isn't looking to make money off Twitter. What has changed?

Why be so disingeneous?

So all Muslims are terrorists then?

That account is one Elon loves to promote. You can't tell people Twitter is going to be more serious and at the same time promote content like that.

I think this tweet has nailed it though. He was going to cure the bot problem with ease, next thing its going to cost users money to cure it. What is the betting it does nothing about the bot problem.

That account is one Elon loves to promote. You can't tell people Twitter is going to be more serious and at the same time promote content like that.

Stand up comedy is a business.

Like i said, it's very disingenuous to suggest that one small vertical within the platform (meme's/stand up comedians...) is indicative of where the platform is heading towards. Or i should add, this is what i believe is the goal for Twitter, to become more serious and authentic.

Yes you can see content from people you already follow but you won't find any new content from people you don't unless they pay.

What are you on about? I just typed in Moto GP into the Twitter search and i saw plenty of posts/videos and accounts that don't have a check mark.

Last edited:
Stand up comedy is a business.

Like i said, it's very disingenuous to suggest that one small vertical within the platform (meme's/stand up comedians...) is indicative of where the platform is heading towards. Or i should add, this is what i believe is the goal for Twitter, to become more serious and authentic.

What are you on about? I just typed in Moto GP into the Twitter search and i saw plenty of posts/videos and accounts that don't have a check mark.

Catturd isn't a comedian, he's a lunatic who spreads CT and extreme views.

The changes haven't happened yet, so of course you can still see content. Once the changes do kick in For You will only be twitter subscribers, so you won't see any new content from people who aren't paying. We don't know what will happen on searches yet but if Elon is right non payers will have their tweets buried.

Catturd isn't a comedian, he's a lunatic who spreads CT and extreme views.

The changes haven't happened yet, so of course you can still see content. Once the changes do kick in For You will only be twitter subscribers, so you won't see any new content from people who aren't paying. We don't know what will happen on searches yet but if Elon is right non payers will have their tweets buried.

Sure, but its one account. Again, using your logic, all Muslims are terrorists.

Wanna have a bet that you'll still be able find accounts that put out good content but don't have a check mark?

The OcUK Elon Musk Defence Force For Great Justice™ do remind me a lot of this tweet. Genuinely quite interesting to watch.

Nothing to do with it though, is it? I use Twitter a lot, i love the platform, i want it to succeed. I dont care who owns it.
You love the OCUK forums, if people were constantly bashing it, you would defend the forum. It's separate to who owns the OCUK forum.
I couldn't give a monkey about Musk tbh. I try and think through whats happening because I want to see Twitter succeed.

Last edited:
Sure, but its one account. Again, using your logic, all Muslims are terrorists.

Wanna have a bet that you'll still be able find accounts that put out good content but don't have a check mark?

An account that (from what the poster has said) the owner of twitter promotes. So it is a good indication of the seriousness of the owner .

But no one said you won't be able to find an account in any way possible. Elon himself has made it clear. Tweets will be promoted from those paying for it. Tweets from accounts that don't pay, will not be promoted and be pushed down.

So you can find an account, follow them, and not see their tweets as often.

It's really simple. Have you looked into what the changes are that are happening? Given you're already quoting friends who like the changes that haven't come in.i don't think you understand, and have just instead, jumped to defend Elon's changes, rather than understand the critique people feel will make the platform worse and wanted better from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom