The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
An account that (from what the poster has said) the owner of twitter promotes. So it is a good indication of the seriousness of the owner .

But no one said you won't be able to find an account in any way possible. Elon himself has made it clear. Tweets will be promoted from those paying for it. Tweets from accounts that don't pay, will not be promoted and be pushed down.

So you can find an account, follow them, and not see their tweets as often.

It's really simple. Have you looked into what the changes are that are happening? Given you're already quoting friends who like the changes that haven't come in.i don't think you understand, and have just instead, jumped to defend Elon's changes, rather than understand the critique people feel will make the platform worse and wanted better from.

Spoken like a person who doesn't use Twitter.

Pretty simple, put that person on a list. You'll see all their content then :)

Last edited:
Spoken like a person who doesn't use Twitter.

Pretty simple, put that person on a list. You'll see all their content then :)
Not in the for you section.

Sure, there's ways around this bad idea, not solutions but ways you can sometimes get an account visible that wasn't before, for instance, you can just go directly to their account and view their tweets, but that's not what's being discussed and there's obviously issues with that for the other 40 million users

Not in the for you section.

Sure, there's ways around this bad idea, not solutions but ways you can sometimes get an account visible that wasn't before, for instance, you can just go directly to their account and view their tweets, but that's not what's being discussed and there's obviously issues with that for the other 40 million users

If you like to follow Man U related news and you find an account that puts out good content on Man U, doesn't have a check mark, you put that account on your Man U list. It's pretty simple to see that content when you want

Yes of course. But OCUK forums don't rely on us to create content to have a business. Twitter does.

Do you understand who are the customers for twitter? Who bring in the viewers? I don't think you've thought this through

Twitter is a business marketplace. People go there to sell themselves. I don't think you understand what Twitter is, why would you when you dont use it.
Youtube take a cut from creators.
Twitter is going to take a cut from creators.

Last edited:
If you like to follow Man U related news and you find an account that puts out good content on Man U, doesn't have a check mark, you put that account on your Man U list. It's pretty simple to see that content when you want
How many lists do I need to create? One for every category. Sounds like a terrible solution but appreciate the suggestion.

Elon we need to build trust in the algorithm. The old Twitter manipulated it.

Also Elon I've created a secret list of people I'm boosting

I bet before you even read it there's a name that comes to mind you know will be on it. Yes it rhymes with fat turd

Twitter engineers may have ensured that tweets by VIPs like Elon Musk are more visible than others.

A report by Platformer revealed that 35 people have had their posts boosted by Twitter's algorithms.

This means that their tweets automatically bypass an algorithm meant to cap a Twitter user's reach.

I guess that makes this promise pointless since it doesn't matter what the algo recommends since Elon just bypasses it

Sure, but its one account. Again, using your logic, all Muslims are terrorists.

That is a ridiculous. If your boss started pushing out emails of one of colleagues who is a loon and has extreme beliefs would you think your boss was a serious person or would you think WTF?

Wanna have a bet that you'll still be able find accounts that put out good content but don't have a check mark?

Some of the best accounts I follow are ones that just popped up on my timeline because the algorithm thought I'd be interested or someone I follow retweeted/replied, I didn't go looking for them. That will end if they don't pay.

Twitter is a business marketplace. People go there to sell themselves.
You sure you're not thinking of LinkedIn (or perhaps Yammer)? :confused:

Businesses and "influencers" (and the likes) using Twitter for promotion and marketing was and has never been a core attribute for Twitter's existence. Rather it has always been discussion and information, even media was tacked on.

That is a ridiculous. If your boss started pushing out emails of one of colleagues who is a loon and has extreme beliefs would you think your boss was a serious person or would you think WTF?

Musk is an individual. Twitter is the platform. Musk sharing a ridiculous account doesn't speak for what the platform is. Surely you must know that?

Some of the best accounts I follow are ones that just popped up on my timeline because the algorithm thought I'd be interested or someone I follow retweeted/replied, I didn't go looking for them. That will end if they don't pay.

It's really not that much of big deal. You'll still be able to follow accounts without a blue check mark if they put good content and you enjoy/follow their stuff. It's mountains out of molehills type stuff. It seems the biggest pushback from legacy accounts is the elitism associated with blue check marks.

You sure you're not thinking of LinkedIn (or perhaps Yammer)? :confused:

Businesses and "influencers" (and the likes) using Twitter for promotion and marketing was and has never been a core attribute for Twitter's existence. Rather it has always been discussion and information, even media was tacked on.

If you've ever listened to Jack Dorsey at tech summits and stuff, he's said on many occasions he didn't even know what Twitter was in the early days. Why do you think the board snapped Elon's hand off at $54 a share. $54 is pretty pathetic considering its user base and active daily users, compared with other tech platforms anyway which have gone on to be worth several hundreds. It's consistently been a zombie company with monetisation. They've struggled with it. Twitter isn't a promotion and marketing platform? it's where the lions share of revenue comes from, i believe it's around 75% of it.
You can have those other things that you mention, discussion and info, just like Facebook has a marketplace. Doesn't mean Facebook is a Gumtree equivalent.
Twitter is a platform to sell yourself, idea's, business, products and services.

Last edited:
Musk is an individual. Twitter is the platform. Musk sharing a ridiculous account doesn't speak for what the platform is. Surely you must know that?
Yes, Musk is an idnvidual.

He's also pretty much in sole charge of Twitter and it's policies, at the moment he is basically the one who decides what Twitter is doing and when, so what he does and follows on his "personal account" is of relevence.
Especially as he's also got rid of pretty much every other way for people to interact with Twitter, by his own actions he is now not only the head of twitter, it's owner, it's face, and it's entire PR department and the only person who seems to be authorised/able to give comment officially which means how else are people to judge the direction Twitter is going other than by what he is saying and more importantly what he is doing.

See, a person using their brain would see that and think, perhaps these changes aren't to solve the issue of bots, but because no one wants Elon's twitter blue, and he wants to make money, and he thinks this will force more users to take up twitter blue. That's what a sensible person would think and realise.

Exactly. Musk doesn't even attempt to explain how this solves the bot problem.

Why do you think the board snapped Elon's hand off at $54 a share.

Because they were delighted to find an idiot prepared to buy the company at twice its listed value. Duh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom