The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just realized how Elon can save Twitter

Apparently it's super easy to get paid to tweet and with Elon's follower count and the fact all his tweets are promoted across the site he could get about 5 million per tweet (taking a rough guess as his reach is probably similar to a super bowl ad that can cost upwards of 7m)

So if he does just one paid tweet a day that's around 1.8bn a year

So all he has to do is sell out to make money on the site the same way he expects his content creators to

Twitter costs money to run, on top of that it can be a platform people use to make money, you seem to find the idea of paying a small fee to an online platform some utterly insane idea, have you heard of eBay? Or perhaps Paypal? You realise most online platforms charge a fee to use? Twitter has simply added an option for people who want their Tweets to have greater reach, you can still use it for free (I will), if you're a content creator or use Twitter as part of your career then it probably makes sense to pay the nominal fee to have greater reach.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This guy must have mud for brains. It takes 30 seconds to find and install a decent ad blocker for Chrome on your desktop or a mobile device. If he insists on sticking with the Twitter app instead of Chrome, he deserves all the ads he gets.

He really is loon and mud for brains is being polite, I am thinking of something else that is brown but doesn't smell great. I mean he says he's paying $11 when through the website its $8. You'd think he would know this considering how much of the time he's simping for Elon. Though he's finding out Elon doesn't give a **** about anyone, all he cares about is their $ in his pocket.

He really is loon and mud for brains is being polite, I am thinking of something else that is brown but doesn't smell great. I mean he says he's paying $11 when through the website its $8. You'd think he would know this considering how much of the time he's simping for Elon. Though he's finding out Elon doesn't give a **** about anyone, all he cares about is their $ in his pocket.

Catturd has a pretty substantial following himself, so I've no doubt he's funded by paypigs. That $11 a month is unlikely to be coming out of his own pocket. The Patreon account for his podcast brings in $408 a month alone.

the paid for verification is worthless as a trust mark as anyone who has the money can get one, so all it's saying is that you've paid
It's exactly the point I was making last week.

Blue tick had a value. It meant something.

Now everyone can have the blue tick. It no longer means anything. Why do I need to see you have a blue tick? What does that show me about you. Why a tick? What are they ticking? The value is gone for a user to see another user has a blue tick, it only now has a value for those who pay, in that they get extra features, but you don't need a blue tick to get those.

it's just stuck together stupidly because Elon knew the blue tick did have value as it was something only celebs and important people could get, and now as a result, he's totally removed it having any value.

Tick = verified real person who is the person they say they are.

Now tick = pays money to have a tick.

Yup and that was entirely predictable.

I'm still half expecting at some point in the not so distant future there to be court cases with Twitter having to explain why it's "allowing" scammers to imitate celebs and companies without doing anything to try and prevent it.
The whole idea of the blue tick wasn't to make celebs feel special, it was because apparently Twitter was facing court cases about scammers etc pretending to be those notables, and it doesn't even require you to be universally known for you to be a high priority target for certain scammers as for example voice actors who most of the population won't know the names of (but may recognise the voice/roles) face having their names being used in scams both aimed at fans and at the likes of conventions (basically the scammers try to get fans/events to hand over money for autographs/appearances), or worse young fans being pushed by accounts pretending to be "the voice of your favourite character" to do things like send naked selfies :(
I've seen authors of all sorts commenting how they've had similar scams aimed at their fans.

All it's going to take is one rich celeb or one of the companies that's now being expected to pay for verification to bring a court case because Twitter has failed to do the minimum to prevent scams (and blue tick was just that) and the chances are Elon is going to be spending a lot of money on very expensive lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom