The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone clue me in please.

Musk says AI should be put on pause but is now developing AI. Is that right?

So is he for/against it going ahead or just want everyone else to hang fire while he set up his own?
He's been developing AI for a while but his has trouble spotting the difference between a child and air because the genius decided to get rid of radar

He's been developing AI for a while but his has trouble spotting the difference between a child and air because the genius decided to get rid of radar

Did you read your own article?

'
However, the situation was a little more complicated than that. Electrek spoke to Musk around the time of the removal of the radar, and the CEO was mostly frustrated with the quality of the radars and still believed that higher definition radars would improve Autopilot/Full Self-Driving.

He told Electrek:

A very high resolution radar would be better than pure vision, but such a radar does not exist. I mean vision with high res radar would be better than pure vision.
Sure enough, two years later, Tesla is now including a high-resolution radar in its latest sensor suite for Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.
'

Seems like they use radar?

Did you read your own article?

'
However, the situation was a little more complicated than that. Electrek spoke to Musk around the time of the removal of the radar, and the CEO was mostly frustrated with the quality of the radars and still believed that higher definition radars would improve Autopilot/Full Self-Driving.

He told Electrek:

Sure enough, two years later, Tesla is now including a high-resolution radar in its latest sensor suite for Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.
'

Seems like they use radar?

Yes he u turned on it once the phantom braking became an issue, but as far as I know Tesla's still rely on vision only right now

This is everyone's real issue, they're just angry because he has too much money.

What is your obsession with his wealth? Most people aren't motivated by money, as long as they have enough to be comfortable that is enough. The last thing I am envious of his his wealth, if I had it I would have likely given 99% of it away by now because so much good could be done with it and I would take a great deal of pleasure from changing people's lives with it. JK Rowling was a billionaire, she has given away a huge chunk of her wealth and continues to do so, she is a far better person than Elon.

What is your obsession with his wealth? Most people aren't motivated by money, as long as they have enough to be comfortable that is enough. The last thing I am envious of his his wealth, if I had it I would have likely given 99% of it away by now because so much good could be done with it and I would take a great deal of pleasure from changing people's lives with it. JK Rowling was a billionaire, she has given away a huge chunk of her wealth and continues to do so, she is a far better person than Elon.

He is doing good with it, he doesn't need to give it to less competent people

He is doing good with it, he doesn't need to give it to less competent people

Is he? Competent? He paid way over twice the valve of Twitter through hubris and incompetence.

Still your post doesn't explain your obsession with his wealth. You seem to be of the opinion that wealth means you are a good person with good motives. It means no such thing.

Is he? Competent? He paid way over twice the valve of Twitter through hubris and incompetence.

Still your post doesn't explain your obsession with his wealth. You seem to be of the opinion that wealth means you are a good person with good motives. It means no such thing.

Well, the actual value of Twitter was the amount of money needed to buy it. Given the board didn't want to sell it to him even with his offer of apparently twice what it was worth, then perhaps it was just undervalued. I would also suggest that for someone who values giving Western society access to a platform that provides access to open speech and debate, the ability to criticise our governments (and even the billionaires) without fear of being suppressed, the actual value is priceless. So perhaps he got a bargain.

Yet you believe he should give his money to the someone who would "do good" like the US government, or some charity, because they'd spend it better than the man who brought us SpaceX and Tesla. Good one.

Well, the actual value of Twitter was the amount of money needed to buy it. Given the board didn't want to sell it to him even with his offer of apparently twice what it was worth, then perhaps it was just undervalued. I would also suggest that for someone who values giving Western society access to a platform that provides access to open speech and debate, the ability to criticise our governments (and even the billionaires) without fear of being suppressed, the actual value is priceless. So perhaps he got a bargain.

Yet you believe he should give his money to the someone who would "do good" like the US government, or some charity, because they'd spend it better than the man who brought us SpaceX and Tesla. Good one.
Hmm didnt they reject an initial offer but when he came back with his much larger one they accepted. Its a while ago now but I think thats how it played out.

Typically when boards do not want to sell they end up being taken over by a hostile takeover, hence the name. Twitter wasn't hostile so I don't think it should be considered that they didn't want to sell.

In fact its hard to argue that they didn't want to accept his offer when they got him to sign a contract with massive penalty should he withdraw from the purchase.

Pretty hard to argue the Twitter was "undervalued" at that purchase price when now a few months after purchasing its worth half that.

Unless you're an insufferable simp that is, then you'll come up with any outlandish explanation of why your idol is right in everything they do.

Last edited:
Hmm didnt they reject an initial offer but when he came back with his much larger one they accepted. Its a while ago now but I think thats how it played out.

Typically when boards do not want to sell they end up being taken over by a hostile takeover, hence the name. Twitter wasn't hostile so I don't think it should be considered that they didn't want to sell.

In fact its hard to argue that they didn't want to accept his offer when they got him to sign a contract with massive penalty should he withdraw from the purchase.
IIRC the board had a legal obligation to seriously consider any offer that was over a certain amount because one of the primary legal responsibilities for the board of a company is to the profit of the shareholders.
They may not have really wanted to do it, but they had to take the offer to the shareholders with a note that it was likely the best offer they'd receive in the near future, and then make sure the contract offered to Musk meant that the company would not be at a loss for any costs incurred in his offer.

The penalties for pulling out suggest that they half expected him to try and renege on the offer and pull out, and wanted to make sure that Twitter didn't lose anything from it.

I'm not surprised that most people in this thread spend hours arguing about Elon Musk, but obviously didn't bother to take the time to listen to the full interview he gave with the BBC. As demonstrated by the post below. If you did you would know the answer. The board didn't want to sell, they used the poison pill tactic, but then bizarrely forced him to buy it later on after he decided he wanted to pull out.

I'm not surprised that most people in this thread spend hours arguing about Elon Musk, but obviously didn't bother to take the time to listen to the full interview he gave with the BBC. As demonstrated by the post below. If you did you would know the answer. The board didn't want to sell, they used the poison pill tactic, but then bizarrely forced him to buy it later on after he decided he wanted to pull out.

Why would I listen to an interview by an incompetent BBC journalist? I want to see a proper hardball journalist interview him, what is the betting that never happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom