The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
What percentage of individual accounts is Musk paying for? James, King and Shatner. How many have lost blue ticks compared to Musk paying for a few. That isn't policy. The report started 10k largest companies. Just because you started to include individual accounts doesn't mean anything. We have evidence that it didn't apply to individuals based on the fact the blue ticks are being removed at a high rate. Like you don't really have a point to any of it do you? Unless you're going to keep arguing the Musk paying for 3 accounts is some sort of policy similar to the largest 10k organisations.

The point was to reply to you saying I was making it up as I went by shoving my much older posts in your face.

I say it's going exactly as I expected.

It's just icing on the cake that he started off the 20th by forcing a sub on exactly the person I named when I described the scenario of crawling back to giving out special status again.

My other choice was going to be Stephen King and that would have been just as prophetic.

Lets do more predictions, he will remove the false endorsement information on subs he's paying for and will do more. Inching ever closer to what an old blue tick was.

The point was to reply to you saying I was making it up as I went by shoving my much older posts in your face.

I say it's going exactly as I expected.

It's just icing on the cake that he started off the 20th by forcing a sub on exactly the person I named when I described the scenario of crawling back to giving out special status again.

My other choice was going to be Stephen King and that would have been just as prophetic.

Lets do more predictions, he will remove the false endorsement information on subs he's paying for and will do more. Inching ever closer to what an old blue tick was.

I'm really confused as to what you're talking about tbh. Can you quote where i said you're making stuff up? because it's not something i would say to someone. I don't know what you mean by the "shoving my much older posts in your face" either.

I think what's happened is you've misread that the leak was 10k largest accounts, which you said yesterday here...
Errr...

We talked about this earlier, there was a leak that 10,000 large accounts are going to have their subscription "paid for"/free.

Now we see evidence that this leak was based in fact.

I don't think all 10,000 of them are going to volunteer the fact they're one of the chosen, maybe it even gets withdrawn if they complain about it.

The leak which seems to be Twitter policy now is the 10k largest organisations get a free tick, it doesn't include individual accounts or celebrities.
If you want to insist Musk giving some subs out for free to a few celebs is Twitter policy similar to the largest orgs getting free subs, go for it.

Last edited:
Another day, another backflip from old mate.

Twitter appears to have removed all government-affiliation labels from news organizations' accounts after the platform was accused of mischaracterizing the editorial independence of publicly-funded newsrooms. Several news accounts, including NPR, CBC, and PBS said they would stop tweeting over the inaccurate labels.

Twitter also appears to have taken down its page outlining what classifies newsrooms as "government-funded" or "state-affiliated."

The accounts of organizations like NPR, PBS, CBC, and BBC no longer have the tag of "Government-funded media" underneath their handles.

Accounts for state media organizations in Russia and China, like RT and Xinhua News, also no longer have a "state-affiliated" label.

Musk thought he had the media on the run, now he's backing down yet again.

:D

I'm really confused as to what you're talking about tbh. Can you quote where i said you're making stuff up? because it's not something i would say to someone. I don't know what you mean by the "shoving my much older posts in your face" either.

I think what's happened is you've misread that the leak was 10k largest accounts, which you said yesterday here...

The leak which seems to be Twitter policy now is the 10k largest organisations get a free tick, it doesn't include individual accounts or celebrities.
If you want to insist Musk giving some subs out for free to a few celebs is Twitter policy similar to the largest orgs getting free subs, go for it.

I think you've been reading too many of a certain frequent posters output and are using their style.

Just say you're confused and ask for copious repetition til the other person dies of old age.

I've quoted myself 4 times to be ignored and told that you prefer your imagination :)

Lets now quote your quality observations.
the leak was obviously a load of horse ****
The leak which seems to be Twitter policy now

What I want to insist about Twitter policy is nothing more than a bogeyman in your dreams.

I have my speculation going back weeks now and I'm perfectly happy with how it has stood up. You have played defence and the record of wanting Elon to go through with it on repeat.

How does it match with your view of how it was going to work out to have the 20th come and go and understand that that 10,503 accounts are getting free checkmarks, if as you say, it's now policy.

some more big advertisers like Microsoft also recently pulled out of the platform. Since verified accounts is no longer a thing in twitter is now taken over with impersonations the advertisers are even more concerned at that ad placement.

This will be yet another costly mistake

I think Bram Cohen gets to the crux of it really well :

"Here's why I'm still twitter verified:
(a) To make it easier to stop scammers impersonating as me. Yes I realize this means I'm paying Twitter for being bad at keeping scam artists off their platform. It's also the reason I pay for Instagram verification even though I barely post there. I take solace in knowing there are very few people who this matters for.
(b) To get access to the longer posts and top articles features. Again longer posts costing money is a symptom of tweetstorms being lame and I'm paying them for a failing. This part hasn't been worth it. Top articles saves me the effort of scrolling but sucks as a feature for the one asinine reason that clicking on an article causes everything to jump to the top.
(c) When I signed up I prepaid for a year.

Bolded bits my own highlighting.

I heard a great conspiracy theory last night, to be clear I think this is madness but quite an amusing take on things.

Apparently the Saudis have invested heavily in Twitter as a 2 part strategy....

The 1st is to destabilise Twitter and therefore Western social media in part.

The 2nd is that, when it all goes wrong, they'll own Elon's ass and it's an attempt to diversify out of oil and take control of a major piece of the battery and EV arena.

Liberal celebrities seething that just anyone can get a blue tick now, being no longer elevated as Royalty on twitter for free is deeply offensive. Hilarious. I mostly just log in to twitter to read but I might pay for it because I support the idea of a free speech platform.

Liberal celebrities seething that just anyone can get a blue tick now, being no longer elevated as Royalty on twitter for free is deeply offensive. Hilarious. I mostly just log in to twitter to read but I might pay for it because I support the idea of a free speech platform.
Do people pay to speak in a public square?

Perhaps local governments should start charging people for using paths as well after all it's clearly justified by them having the freedom to walk on them.

Last edited:
Liberal celebrities seething that just anyone can get a blue tick now, being no longer elevated as Royalty on twitter for free is deeply offensive. Hilarious.

Well, that's a hot take!

I mostly just log in to twitter to read but I might pay for it because I support the idea of a free speech platform.

Please do pay the $8, now that would be hilarious! :cry:

Lol it's hard to believe that after all the posts in here explaining the issue with "verification" that you still don't grasp the really simple reason it was needed.

it was never for "the clout" it was to show that the User was who they said they were.

It was never done for the sake of the celeb, it was to protect Twitter as a company from claims that they'd allowed unchecked fraud and impersonation (the main criteria for getting one was basically were you worth impersonating).

And the kicker is that Twitter did it as the minimum they could do after they were taken to court by a sportsman who had been impersonated, so they had a defence in future cases.

That's the reason celebs etc are getting upset and angry, they know that they are going to be impersonated and it's going to cause confusion and result in issues for them and the people that thought they were seeing their messages.

The utterly stupid idea that if they simply "pay for the check" it will be solved is a nonsense, as the blue check is now utterly worthless as any sort of trust indicator, it literally only means you've managed to submit a payment to Musk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom