The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the backlash will be enough to revert the decision if the data hasn't just been wiped
Most likely a Russian botnet mass report, triggers the auto suspension then takes what's left of the Twitter staff weeks if ever to return the account

Seen reports of it happing to a lot of pro Ukraine accounts and liberals. So what we actually have now is content controlled by Russia and China

Last edited:
And of course Elon is jumping on board with the wild conspiracies around the Texas Mall shooter now that the right is desperately reaching for some copium after their Mexican illegal shooter murdering white people fantasy went up in smoke. Twitter a place of truth would be laughable if it wasn't quite so sick and of course all his paid simps have their replies boosted to the top.

Last edited:
Jesus christ! I honestly could never imagine that would have happened, as low as Elon tries to go, hiring tucker, is a new one for me.

I wonder how the advertisers will feel knowing they are advertising on a platform that has tucker speaking for it. Given how Fox news made so much money, perhaps it's not an issue, though as I understand it, a lot of their money came from tv subs rather than advertisers

Advertisers will want slots on Tuckers show. Guaranteed viewership by the most gullible rubes easy money.
true. mypillow will be delighted :p

any then what about the users that create the content. i can't see them being happy to be associated with this person.

i imagine elon was super happy with tuckers deep detective work when he posted that edited video of jan6

Advertisers will want slots on Tuckers show. Guaranteed viewership by the most gullible rubes easy money.

Money's money my boy... Now what's the UK newspaper with the biggest readership? And for how long has that been so? And the Wall Street Journal? The USA's biggest selling newspaper....

Bourgeois left wing ululations don't cut it in the harsh reality of readership figures.

<HINT> That's why The Guardian is somewhat less than coyly pleading for donations, having shunned its root working class environs of Spinningfields, Manchester, for the very hard to follow subsequent constant sales and takeovers that it's been encumbered with since snubbing its parental roots.

Also there are a lot of sites that can give the same sort of eye numbers as Twitter that are far better run and lower risk from the advertisers point of view.

If Twitter was a TV station in terms of ads, it used to be C5 or possibly Sky 1 (not top market for the advertisers but certainly high up), it's now heading past Bravo and Scyfi channel to GBN or whatever it's called, with about the same credibility for the advertisers.

Twitter used to get a lot of it's advertising due to the relationship between the ad teams that Musk sacked, and the buyers, with the ad team staff being known to the buyers which made the advertisers willing to throw a bit more money at twitter than they might otherwise have done, especially if there was any controversy as if the people they talked to said that twitter was dealing with/had a plan to deal with an issue it could be trusted.
When musk got rid of those people, and basically the entire department he not only lost the "human" element that had been there with the advertisers, but anyone the advertisers had learned to trust, which given everything else musk was doing would have had a much worse effect than normal (especially when those advertisers found the tools they used were broken by musk, and they had no way to get a response when they tried to report that their advertising money was being spent on things like an old campaign that had reactivated without them instructing it to, and no way of turning it off).

It takes a lot of smaller advertisers to make up for the lost money from any one of the large accounts, and tucker was toxic enough before Fox "let him go" that some of the biggest accounts actively refused to place an advert in his show.

Mind you if it turns out musk is paying him a lot it could be funny, if only for it being more money being burned up.

Last edited:
There are few sites which really have the position of Twitter though or drive traffic generally - some of those other sites are linked to and from Twitter, etc. wouldn't replace Twitter and/or would see a decline without Twitter.

Something Musk seems to be completely oblivious to is how much Twitter depends on engagement while many of the recent changes drive down engagement or give people a reason to look elsewhere such as the fiddling with API access, etc.

Aye true.

I was seeing an author comment earlier that they'd posted the same content (IIRC news about a new book) to both Twitter and one of the replacement services, Twitter got far more views but a fraction of the "engagement" of the much smaller second service suggesting twitter at least for that (fairly well known, award winning) author is dying in terms of it's "active" user base vs the passive one.

If that holds true for even just a fraction of the old "top" accounts that's really bad news for Twitter, especially as Musk has degraded the trust a lot of people and companies had in it, and continues to do so.

Money's money my boy... Now what's the UK newspaper with the biggest readership? And for how long has that been so? And the Wall Street Journal? The USA's biggest selling newspaper....

Bourgeois left wing ululations don't cut it in the harsh reality of readership figures.

<HINT> That's why The Guardian is somewhat less than coyly pleading for donations, having shunned its root working class environs of Spinningfields, Manchester, for the very hard to follow subsequent constant sales and takeovers that it's been encumbered with since snubbing its parental roots.

You think turning Twitter into The Daily Mail is a good idea? Yes sex, outrage and anger sells, its why Jerry Springer was so popular, its why Tucker was so popular, keep your viewers angry, feed them daily outrage. Yes it will generate clicks but clicks from one demographic. Twitter will just become Gab or Parler.

Really its because the ancient near zombies that mainly buy the like of the DM and DE, including my family, struggle with the 2020s versions of things, in fact some struggle with anything post 1980s

Its really not at all surprising that without someone paying to keep "news"papers alive that they are struggling.
The internet bought on demand, up to date news to the masses, free.

Pay for yesterdays news? Many sub 60s would laugh at you for that now ;)
As I said, how very 1980s

You think turning Twitter into The Daily Mail is a good idea? Yes sex, outrage and anger sells, its why Jerry Springer was so popular, its why Tucker was so popular, keep your viewers angry, feed them daily outrage. Yes it will generate clicks but clicks from one demographic. Twitter will just become Gab or Parler.

I thought this was apolitical and you were all just saddened to see Twitter being poorly managed and likely to go bust? You denied it waa anything to do with it seemingly heading more to the right.

Now you are directly saying you don't want it becoming like other successful media because they are right leaning. As I have said all along, your anger is solely that he may be making it a lot less sympathetic to left orientated posters and unsympathetic to right leaning views.

When did the BBC stop showing Tweets automatically and now require you to click you're happy to see them?

Anecdotally, the few people I know who did use Twitter a lot are definitely backing off. Had an interesting chat about it the other night while watching the football, it's mainly the fact that the curating on the For You bit is so broken at the moment.

I thought this was apolitical and you were all just saddened to see Twitter being poorly managed and likely to go bust? You denied it waa anything to do with it seemingly heading more to the right.

Now you are directly saying you don't want it becoming like other successful media because they are right leaning. As I have said all along, your anger is solely that he may be making it a lot less sympathetic to left orientated posters and unsympathetic to right leaning views.
Lol

It's 8am, you can't be drunk this early! :D

Elon has claimed he wants it to be a townhall for all.
And yet many observe its skewing right more in line with his views as opposed to any kind of strategy.
Although generally I don't see it going in any direction other than just random.
If someone gets a sensible proper challenger up I can see Musk having some real issues.

Twitter wasn't more sympathetic to left or right leaning, unfortunately like in most places the further right have issues with getting banned. It happens to the further left as well, but typically the further right are the ones who get the platform into areas they don't want, nor can afford to seem to condone.

Saw this earlier, which pretty much sums up what Elon is about now:

Lol-Elon.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom