The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seems they have tightened up twitter 'security' in UK over last week,
so unless you are prepared to login with an account, you cant view the occasional link a google search throws up, or the links that proliferate in some OC threads
neither the ublockO workaround I used, or, apparently, nitter work any more.

Soldato
so unless you are prepared to login with an account, you cant view the occasional link a google search throws up, or the links that proliferate in some OC threads

Its free speech not free read.

If this is how it is meant to be then Musk has sunk even further into the arse region.

Suspended
It's actually kicked in for me today, unable to browse twitter replies when folks embed something in forums - guess I'll have to try to remember my password so I can browse twitter on the desktop/laptop :(

Caporegime

Oh well. I guess i just won't be looking at Twitter as much (not that i avidly went on there much anyway).

Looks like Reddit will eventually go that way too, and require you to have an account.

Too bad. Can do without them. Fed up of having to create a bazillion accounts for everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is almost like it has never been about free speech, and that every decision made is almost entirely based around making money.....

Nah, I'm pretty sure Roar told us Elon didn't care about the money, being that he's sooooo rich *swoon*, and he seems to know a lot about Elons thoughts and motivations.

And bearing in mind Elon has tanked the value of the company since taking over....he might be right on that one! ;)

Man of Honour

I can only assume at this point he is trying to destroy Twitter - people browsing the site via links elsewhere without logging in is how new blood comes to Twitter, that or he is a complete idiot.

EDIT: IMO it is also callously dangerous as it is well known, even if it wasn't an intentional thing, a lot of people use Twitter for emergency purposes without necessarily being in a position to login.

Last edited:
It's the same for Facebook and IG is it not? You actually need an account to view anything on the platform.
I would be amazed if IG was that way, but comparing twitter to Facebook is daft.

Twitter doesn't exist so you can share pictures of your holiday, which people will login to view from their friends.

Twitter is a different service. I am not going to login so that I can view the latest news that's shared there.

Just as I won't login to view something on Pinterest, that questions place that starts with q. You just end up going back and looking else where.

Surely it's better for twitter to have more views on a tweet and so more ads served and a better reach for the tweeter, rather than more knowledge know about the reduced viewers.

Man of Honour
It's the same for Facebook and IG is it not? You actually need an account to view anything on the platform.

Bit different for Facebook - though things like public groups can be browsed without login but so much on FB is audience limited rather than meant for general consumption, IG goes through phases - right now you can browse most stuff posted there which is not audience limited with just a bit of nagging to login - I'm guessing they realised walling off too much posted for public consumption does more harm than good for these kind of sites if they want to stay relevant.

If you do things right the vast majority of people who would create accounts will create accounts anyway without having to use the stick, the bulk of the rest never will create an account when they have the option of just not using the site/finding an alternative. (EDIT: as above better to have these people adding to overall engagement for example sharing links that might bring in other users and ad revenue).

Last edited:
Suspended
Bit different for Facebook - though things like public groups can be browsed without login but so much on FB is audience limited rather than meant for general consumption, IG goes through phases - right now you can browse most stuff posted there which is not audience limited with just a bit of nagging to login - I'm guessing they realised walling off too much posted for public consumption does more harm than good for these kind of sites if they want to stay relevant.
I have neither so wouldn't know, my experience with both is rather dated :D
If you do things right the vast majority of people who would create accounts will create accounts anyway without having to use the stick, the bulk of the rest never will create an account when they have the option of just not using the site/finding an alternative. (EDIT: as above better to have these people adding to overall engagement for example sharing links that might bring in other users and ad revenue).
How many people actually browse twitter without an account? I would assume it's just more of a mild inconvenience for 99.9% of Twitter users/traffic. I think a lot of people overblow just how important/used twitter is.

Seems pretty daft but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time about being able to actually use the platform without an account.

What's Elon said about it? :cry:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I have neither so wouldn't know, my experience with both is rather dated :D

How many people actually browse twitter without an account? I would assume it's just more of a mild inconvenience for 99.9% of Twitter users/traffic. I think a lot of people overblow just how important/used twitter is.

Seems pretty daft but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time about being able to actually use the platform without an account.

What's Elon said about it? :cry:

Wouldn't that make Elon a colossal idiot for spending as much as he did on buying it, then?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom