The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You're probably right but I'm not entirely sold on the idea that this is just to get more signed up.

The first thing that springs to mind, is that if Elon is telling the truth, it seems the verified users thing did bugger all to stop bots which he said multiple times.

On top of that, let's pretend Elon is telling the truth and it's entirely due to bots. That means Elon has basically said "I'm going to do something that makes it worse for users, because we are too much of a failure of a company to stop bots. Those bots will worsen the experience for the end user, and our failing has caused this.

Bots aren't a problem for the end user. It's nothing to do with them, however Elon's so current solution is a problem for the users.
They just got rid of the "armadillo a day" type bot accounts, but all the t-shirt or download, or cryptoscam bots are far, far worse thanks to increased visibility with blues being pushed to the top.

It actually IS a problem for the end user now. Whereas it hadn't been before.

Soldato
unless users create an account and pay a subscription, the amount of content they can consume per day is now quite limited. I'm happy musk has done this, it time limits children

Last edited:
Soldato
I do find Twitter useful or should I say I like the content of the people I follow but if all social media disappeared tomorrow the world would be a far better place.
I actually don't think it's coincidence that we've not had a significant western intervention in foreign lands since social media. I'm not at all convinced it's been bad for the world.

Soldato

Do you think those 2 things are connected? I think some of you literally see the world in black and white.

And yet he's still made it less attractive for advertisers. You think Elon talking about fighting Zuckerberg is going to bring advertisers back? You think him promoting a CT about some guy being in Patriot Front when it wasn't that guy at all is bringing back advertisers? Accusing Pelosi's husband of having a gay affair when he had hammer smashed over his head is brining back advertisers? Promoting right wing trolls like Catturd, ALX, Ian Miles Cheong is that binging back advertisers?

Soldato
The internet is almost certainly the biggest destroyer of mental health in human history.
Yeah, sure...

1280px-Suicide_death_rate_per_100%2C000_population_in_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Soldato
That is 100% what it is about.

Imagine being naive enough to believe it is due to data scraping.

It is absolutely a ploy to get more people paying.

It's it exactly how all these companies work. Microsoft did similar with Outlook recently whereby the total attachment storage in your emails went from 15gb to 5gb, meaning you couldn't receive emails until you deleted half your life or paid for more...

They get you used to something that is free and then go "oh, sorry you have to pay for that now....and you will because you are a weak willed consumer who's mind has got used to using our free services"
It might also be because Elon is cheap

Maybe a little bit of both, trying to turn a bad situation into good by using this to drum up subscriptions

Soldato
I had increasingly mixed views on Twitter before the Musk takeover. On the one hand, it was an incredible source of information, on the other a never ending feed of posts is a never ending source of distraction.

Mostly, I don't miss it, except when following sporting events or fast moving political theatre.

Thats where I sit with Twitter too, occassionally it's used to highlight amazing things happening around the world, but for the vast majority its garbage feeding more garbage to other garbage. Sadly the internet gave everyone a voice without realising the possibility that those who shout loudest aren't necessarily the best people to listen to.

Caporegime
^ The lack of self reflection is astounding.

e: I'll leave my comment there but on quick reflection that sounded harsher than I meant it to. My point was that it can be easy to point at others while conveniently ignoring our own shortcomings and I include myself in that observation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Twitter is broken not even loading now

It's because several services of the platform are hosted by Google and since Elon fired everyone, no one left knew until the last minute. Now the contract with Google has expired and the services have been cut and Twitter is frantically trying to migrate hosts.

But really it's just another day at Twitter, the company has been run like a mad hatter party since Elon arrived; he likes to keep his staff in wonderland drinking the cool aid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom