The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspended
It's because several services of the platform are hosted by Google and since Elon fired everyone, no one left knew until the last minute. Now the contract with Google has expired and the services have been cut and Twitter is frantically trying to migrate hosts.

But really it's just another day at Twitter, the company has been run like a mad hatter party since Elon arrived; he likes to keep his staff in wonderland drinking the cool aid
um, no?

Man of Honour
Tesla became the biggest company in the world while spending $0 on marketing. All the super intelligent people on here can't figure out Musk does this sort of thing to make headlines which drive users and therefore ad revenue to Twitter lol

PR is PR but in this case I think he is doing more harm than anything - quite a few people who maintain resources on Twitter are going "**** it, it isn't worth the hassle" right now and will likely leave. And those are the kind of people who bring numbers to Twitter.

Additionally Twitter, even if not intended or wanted by Twitter, has become a place for a lot of emergency alert and similar for example earthquakes and air raids in Ukraine - which is both well known and known that for security, practicality and other reasons people may not be able to login - while there could be special provision for that down the line it certainly isn't in place now so this PR would be Elon putting money over lives.

Last edited:
Soldato
And, I should add, there's just as little to support social media being 'bad' for the world @Colonel_Klinck :D

You think its been good? People glued to their phones, not having conversations, becoming obsessed with likes and depressed if they don't get them. Anti science being spread, where once people who believed in things such as 5G giving you cancer would be a tiny almost invisible minority, they are now front and centre with millions of followers and all they have to do is shout the loudest and they gain followers. I think you could argue that societies losing faith in the democratic process has grown due to social media and how easily the masses are manipulated by bad actors on it.

I don't see any of those things above being good for society/the world. Yes some good things have come from it but imo they are far outweighed by the bad.

Caporegime
I'm a active unpaid account. I've used up my limit, so i can't see anything.
It's a minor inconvenience atm, i can handle a week without twitter, but if it's like this for a couple of weeks or more it's going to be very very annoying.

I don't use a Twitter so not sure of what happens next but if it doesn't resolve to your satisfaction what would you do? Apart from being very, very annoyed.

Soldato
I don't use a Twitter so not sure of what happens next but if it doesn't resolve to your satisfaction what would you do? Apart from being very, very annoyed.

Probably pay. (but even the paid account with that limit is not enough)

I use Twitter for work more than i use Netflix. So it probably is a bit daft i pay for that but not Twitter. It's just i'm used to Twitter being free.

I don't think it'll come to that though, it makes sense what he's saying about AI,.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You use Twitter for work? Genuine question - how does that work? (for reference I am Generation X)

A side note is that free > commercial payment is not unusual. Do not take for free that which you would not pay for.

Soldato

The timing of @elonmusk data scraping rules and @OpenAI widening the release of "browsing" function are not coincidence. Pretty much all content/IP is going to need to move behind paywalls, to blockchain or something similar to charge microtransactions for interactions/pageviews.

I don't understand how ad based internet business models are going to work if you create content and then it's gobbled up by an LLM once and then shown to 1000s of people who might ask a similar question. Are advertisers paying when ChatGPT says "clicking on link"?

I've seen this specifically with travel related questions where LLMs will essentially spit out verbatim the suggestions of a travel blog. This is different from Google search because for the most part you still need to click on the link with Google to get answers and then served with ads.

Last edited:
Well that is if you believe a professional liar. There is talk they are switching hosts and that seems like a far more likely cause for them throttling users.
. The onlyy thing that makes me doubt it's entirely due to ai, is because if that's true, it can wait 4/5 days. There's no way this was destroying twitter and making it unusable, like the current method has for some.

It surely could have waited a few more days, given more time for a better solution too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom