The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alarmingly there are a whole host of videos of Biden doing things that support the thesis he is senile, not an admirable condition for a US president presiding over tinder box political times.
Are you talking about tiny little clips put together, or do you have the attention span to watch like an hour event with Biden chatting?

Alarmingly there are a whole host of videos of Biden doing things that support the thesis he is senile, not an admirable condition for a US president presiding over tinder box political times.

As someone who actually has relatives who have dementia and who could be classed as senile… i would kill for them to have the mental capability of Biden.

He’s in decline for sure and will continue to have “senior” moments but trying to make out he is already fully senile is well wide of the mark imo.

Granted dems should go with a different younger candidate but American politics is even stupider than ours so that’s not going to happen.

Last edited:
Granted dems should go with a different younger candidate but American politics is even stupider than ours so that’s not going to happen.

sure, if biden wasn't currently president he'd never get the pick. changing half way through a possible 8 year term would be foolish.

but also don't forget, biden isn't education secretary, he isn't transport secretary etc, these are all being performed by younger members of his cabinet. yep he's too old, but you also have the issue where his current competition is way worse. at the moment you have 1 bus that goes towards your destination but not fully there, or one bus that goes any where it wants and you have no clue where you'll end up. would be nice to have a bus that gets you right where you want to go, but reality is right now Biden bus is the better option.

Last edited:

Is there ever a time to have a less than perfect US president?

Still we survived Trump, I am sure we will survive Biden

To be fair, there is a lot of frankly outrageous misinformation on X, it was only last week I read someone making the ludicrous statement President Biden was ordering recommencement of the continuation of building of the wall across the southern states. Luckily I knew Biden had said a categoric no to continuing this mainstay of Trump's tenureship, and it was another example of simple misinformation on the X platform.

Luckily "we" survived President Trump and his ludicrous ideas.... ;)

As someone who actually has relatives who have dementia and who could be classed as senile… i would kill for them to have the mental capability of Biden.

He’s in decline for sure and will continue to have “senior” moments but trying to make out he is already fully senile is well wide of the mark imo.

Time will prob show he has parkinsons

To be fair, there is a lot of frankly outrageous misinformation on X, it was only last week I read someone making the ludicrous statement President Biden was ordering recommencement of the continuation of building of the wall across the southern states. Luckily I knew Biden had said a categoric no to continuing this mainstay of Trump's tenureship, and it was another example of simple misinformation on the X platform.

It was misinformation (at least the interpretation you are citing).

"In the Oval Office on Thursday, Biden made clear that he was moving forward with wall construction grudgingly, in order to comply with funds appropriated by Congress in 2019. He said he had tried and failed to get Congress to redirect the funding it had allocated for wall construction in south Texas. "The money was appropriated for the border wall. I tried to get them to reappropriate, to redirect that money. They didn’t. They wouldn’t. In the meantime, there’s nothing under the law other than they have to use the money for what it was appropriated for. I can’t stop that," he said."

Sounds like he didn't really have a choice about the allocation of spending made before he came to power, in spite of trying to stop it.

Last edited:

"In the Oval Office on Thursday, Biden made clear that he was moving forward with wall construction grudgingly, in order to comply with funds appropriated by Congress in 2019. He said he had tried and failed to get Congress to redirect the funding it had allocated for wall construction in south Texas. "The money was appropriated for the border wall. I tried to get them to reappropriate, to redirect that money. They didn’t. They wouldn’t. In the meantime, there’s nothing under the law other than they have to use the money for what it was appropriated for. I can’t stop that," he said."

Sounds like he didn't really have a choice about the allocation of spending made before he came to power, in spite of trying to stop it.

but how can chris mis rerepresent the information to make a weak point against someone he doesn't like? this is a perfect example of why the xitter notes feature was worth a lot to the company.

I thought you didnt use twitter

He literally said he wouldn't build another foot of wall, why say that if he couldn't do it? Sounds like Biden spreading disinformation.

The New York Times, yesterday, posted a different take to Biden being forced to continue the building of the wall, he's even waivered environmental laws to facilitate the walls urgent extension....is this more X like misinformation?

• Oct. 11, 2023
On the outskirts of Rio Grande City, Texas, Eva Alvarez stepped past the graves of her parents and grandparents before stopping at the edge of the small cemetery to marvel at the rust-red steel bollards stacked in piles, row after row, not far from her house.
For years, the Trump administration had surveyed and condemned land along the border in Starr County, where Ms. Alvarez lives, constructing a steel border barrier in segments to deter and redirect unauthorized crossings. Many residents saw the wall as unnecessary and ill-advised, and when President Biden took office and ordered a halt to construction, Ms. Alvarez and others in this rugged, mostly rural South Texas borderland believed the project was over.
No longer.
Residents of Starr County, particularly those with land along the Rio Grande, are now bracing for the resumption of construction after the Biden administration last week said it would waive dozens of federal laws and regulations to begin erecting new sections of border wall in Texas.
The decision to build about 17 miles of new fencing in Starr County prompted anger among many Democrats, who accused President Biden of going back on a campaign promise. But it coincided with a surge of unauthorized crossings along many parts of the southern border in recent weeks that has overwhelmed communities in Texas, Arizona and California, and posed a formidable political challenge to Mr. Biden.

The huge number of arrivals has upended the usual politics of immigration as Democratic mayors, including in New York and Chicago, have urged action to stem the flow of migrants to their cities, often on buses provided by Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas.

By waiving existing laws such as the Clean Air Act and the Endangered Species Act last week in an effort to speed up construction, the Biden administration signaled the urgency of the situation — “an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers,” according to the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Alejandro N. Mayorkas — even as the president himself said that he did not believe that barriers worked.
The barrier construction in Starr County is unlikely to have an impact on the number of arrivals along the border, at least in the short term, local officials said, because the area has not seen a recent surge in migration.

He literally said he wouldn't build another foot of wall, why say that if he couldn't do it? Sounds like Biden spreading disinformation.
Why does Musk say we'll have self driving fully autonomous Tesla's within a year and four years later we're still waiting. Who knows...

Good to see the thread getting the monthly Trump Biden derailment though...
ugh.gif

Last edited:

Well he did, he could have followed what Trump did with Ukraine weapons aid and withheld it as part of a blackmail attempt even though Congress had allocated it to be sent.

So @Roar87 as you feel social media should be a free for all and nothing should be highlighted as mis/disinformation, I have to assume you feel exactly the same way about deep fakes that will without doubt play a big part in the 2024 US election and possibly in the UK 2024 election. Only last week an audio deep fake of Keir Starmer circulated, fortunately many Tory MPs pointed out on Twitter that there was a deep fake circulating but I can't imagine all sides are going to be so honest over the water and perhaps not here either. Should social media be highlighting or removing deep fakes?

So @Roar87 as you feel social media should be a free for all and nothing should be highlighted as mis/disinformation, I have to assume you feel exactly the same way about deep fakes that will without doubt play a big part in the 2024 US election and possibly in the UK 2024 election. Only last week an audio deep fake of Keir Starmer circulated, fortunately many Tory MPs pointed out on Twitter that there was a deep fake circulating but I can't imagine all sides are going to be so honest over the water and perhaps not here either. Should social media be highlighting or removing deep fakes?

I haven't said that "nothing should be highlighted", try and be honest with your posts or discussion becomes pointless. I think if something is misinformation then a community notes like solution is perfect. I don't think Twitter or any other platform should flat out delete things that they believe to be fake, because they can't and won't always be right, and they risk censoring things that are actually true. A good example would have been weapons of mass destruction, if Twitter were around in 2003 and someone said "there are no WMDs in Iraq", that post might have been removed as misinformation, yet later turn out to actually be correct. Do you understand why that's a danger, and also why allowing governments to decide what citizens can say is dangerous? Or do you just think we should give up our basic rights to free expression because someone can make a deep fake of Joe Biden or Donald Trump?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom