The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside anyone using Bluesky? First impressions? Assuming you get invites once you sign up could we pass some invites on for the community (assuming someone can get the ball rolling)?

Apologies if my search fu failed me and this has already been discussed

Last edited:
This really shouldn't come as a surprise but the law dictates and controls the vast majority of what you do.

The government makes the laws. The government could make a law that tells you up is down, it doesn't make it so.

Here's a good one. Iraq had WMDs. It didn't, but our government said it did and then went to war. Still think the government is the ones to be the ones telling you what's true, real information?

No, obviously, I don't want any government to tell me what is true or false. I want zero regulation of information. If you dislike what you consider misinformation then spread better information, be so clear and spectacular with your facts that it can be indisputable. If you give politicians the power to classify and ban information then it will be abused.

Oh if only life were that simple :rolleyes: no one is saying politicians get to decide what is and isn't lies. However these companies which enjoy protections because they claim to just be publishers of 3rd party content should do all they can to prevent mis/disinformation being spread on their platforms. The idea that truthful information will triumph over lies is frankly laughable. No one is saying anything should be banned but lies should be marked as that. Community Notes is actually the one thing Elon has done that is a really good idea. The problem is its easily overwhelmed and too slow when big stories hit the platform, the Israel/Gazza conflict being a good example.

So just so we are clear you believe there should be no standards (regulation) of news channels in the UK or the press? Should they be able to broadcast/print anything even knowing its lies but broadcast/print it as fact?

And you don't want the government involved but you are happy for a billionaire to decide what posts are promoted, which aren't, which accounts are shadow banned and which aren't?

Last edited:
Yeah sounds like a good idea, we'll have a government committee then, except that committee is part of the government, so they can just say something needs to be deleted for national security reasons or terrorism or public safety etc, if I really don't like it. Terrorism charges have never been abused right

The point of these councils is that they are independent, it would be a group of SMEs picked by Xitter. The idea being that you self regulate or at least attempt to so that the government doesn't feel the need to create broad heavy handed laws

Last edited:
The government makes the laws. The government could make a law that tells you up is down, it doesn't make it so.

Here's a good one. Iraq had WMDs. It didn't, but our government said it did and then went to war. Still think the government is the ones to be the ones telling you what's true, real information?

Are you practicing dumb arguments or something?

The reality was Iraq had WMDs that beyond proof. What your really arguing is whether they STILL had WMDs. It appears not, but then you never know if suddenly a loads of canisters may be uncovered.

I am not willing to go down the rabbit hole of are the government telling the truth. If they are or arent that doesnt mean its alright for stuff thats wrong and lies to be pushed on the public.

IMO this is quite telling.

A Meta spokesperson told the BBC: "After the terrorist attacks by Hamas on Israel on Saturday, we quickly established a special operations centre staffed with experts, including fluent Hebrew and Arabic speakers, to closely monitor and respond to this rapidly evolving situation."
"Our teams are working around the clock to keep our platforms safe, take action on content that violates our policies or local law, and coordinate with third-party fact checkers in the region to limit the spread of misinformation. We'll continue this work as this conflict unfolds."

vs

In his response on X, Mr Musk said: "Our policy is that everything is open and transparent, an approach that I know the EU supports.
"Please list the violations you allude to on X, so that the public can see them."

Musk really just comes across as a CT nutjob himself half the time now.

As an aside anyone using Bluesky? First impressions? Assuming you get invites once you sign up could we pass some invites on for the community (assuming someone can get the ball rolling)?

Apologies if my search fu failed me and this has already been discussed
It is a LOT friendlier than Twitter and is definitely still evolving and being updated (ie I think they have only just implemented GIFs). There are a few small niggly bugs but overall it is useable and friendly, people who you follow do seem to follow back. I can DM you an invite code if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO this is quite telling.

A Meta spokesperson told the BBC: "After the terrorist attacks by Hamas on Israel on Saturday, we quickly established a special operations centre staffed with experts, including fluent Hebrew and Arabic speakers, to closely monitor and respond to this rapidly evolving situation."
"Our teams are working around the clock to keep our platforms safe, take action on content that violates our policies or local law, and coordinate with third-party fact checkers in the region to limit the spread of misinformation. We'll continue this work as this conflict unfolds."

vs

In his response on X, Mr Musk said: "Our policy is that everything is open and transparent, an approach that I know the EU supports.
"Please list the violations you allude to on X, so that the public can see them."

Musk really just comes across as a CT nutjob himself half the time now.
Those two responses couldn’t be more contrasting, meta in reality are pretty terrible at removing misinformation but they have just managed to make themselves look a million times better than X. It’s probably all corporate lies but at least they appear to be trying instead of doing the old shoulder shrug and a bit of he said she said diversionary nonsense! Might help if X actually had some employees left!

I’m saying number drawn out of a hat for mega and the same number tripled for X which is probably about right!

Well, the EU doesn't have any means of accurately determining it. Yet despite their lack of evidence they've decided to send a letter to Twitter and publish it publicly on their platform. The EU is a really good organisation with talented folk who earn their bloated salaries.

It is a LOT friendlier than Twitter and is definitely still evolving and being updated (ie I think they have only just implemented GIFs). There are a few small niggly bugs but overall it is useable and friendly, people who you follow do seem to follow back. I can DM you an invite code if you want.
Sounds good - yes please for the invite.

Last edited:
Well, the EU doesn't have any means of accurately determining it. Yet despite their lack of evidence they've decided to send a letter to Twitter and publish it publicly on their platform. The EU is a really good organisation with talented folk who earn their bloated salaries.
They may not have an accurate way to tell, probably in part thanks to Musk removing all the tools that let third parties do so (unless they are paying hundreds of thousands a year), but that doesn't mean that they have no way to tell from simply monitoring with normal accounts which whilst not "accurate" is a very good indicator.

The EU have got far more important things to concern themselves with, both currently and in the near future than what people post on X

The only thing they're worried about is it's not the right sort of misinformation to bolster their agendas, it's not concern due to altruism <LOL>

The EU have got far more important things to concern themselves with, both currently and in the near future than what people post on X

The only thing they're worried about is it's not the right sort of misinformation to bolster their agendas, it's not concern due to altruism <LOL>
Do you prefer the future where only the likes of Amazon or Blackrock has control over the information we receive?

Any sense of an individual liberty is washing away.

Are you saying its not possible to spot disinformation? People trained to do this are actually pretty good at it. I saw this video a lot on Twitter, didn't see any community notes to tell people its fake (there might have been on some tweets but I didn't see it.)

I've lost count of the number of politicians and right wing **** stirrers spreading the lie that Biden gave Iran $8b and they've been using that money to fund weapons to Hamas for this operation. That money which was Iran's is held by a 3rd party and is still untouched and can only be spent on humanitarian aid and every purchase has to be approved by the US. How does having such lies be spread help society at a time like this?

I've seen combat footage of civilians being killed posted as happening now in Israel when it was from 2015 and not in Israel/Gazza.

I find it astonishing that some of you aren't in the slightest bit concerned by disinformation on social media and don't want it highlighted. 25+% of Americans believe the US election was stolen in 2020 when there is zero evidence to support it. Social media has helped spread that lie and continues to do so. If 50% of the UK voting population don't believe future election results because of lies on social media will you just shrug and say "but but but we don't want governments regulating companies to tell us what are and aren't lies"? If you think what is happening in the US couldn't happen here you are deluded. Society only holds together because people have faith in it. Remove that faith and there is nothing that makes our society immune from what has happened to countless others.

Are you practicing dumb arguments or something?

The reality was Iraq had WMDs that beyond proof. What your really arguing is whether they STILL had WMDs. It appears not, but then you never know if suddenly a loads of canisters may be uncovered.

I am not willing to go down the rabbit hole of are the government telling the truth. If they are or arent that doesnt mean its alright for stuff thats wrong and lies to be pushed on the public.

So now you're taking the stance of "these things can't be known", and I agree, sometimes things are put out there as truths, later found to be false and vice versa.

I don't think anyone, EU, X, Meta (eugh), government etc is wrong. Were all ****ed regardless because the internet is where everyone gets their say, somehow. The EU, thinking that anyone can hold back the tide of that, are just moronic but I understand their concern.

Edit: just seen the discussion has now switched to disinformation. That's summit else entirely....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom