The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a partial success and a partial failure. All the engines worked up to hot staging. Starship managed to successfully separate but hot staging destroyed the booster. Starship didn't make it to orbit, it lost control and was automatically destroyed. So there were some successes but also failures. SpaceX is still years away from being able to fulfil their contract to NASA for the Moon missions.

They did better than the previous launch, they made large incremental improvements. A highly successful launch by any objective standard. A failure would be performing worse than the previous one.

That is how you judge something? If it doesn't fail as badly its a highly successful?

Not in any industry I've ever worked in, typically you'd set new targets with the new information, and adjustments to whatever you've adjusted, factored in and then success is measured against that.

An F1 team who claim to have a new wing worth 1 second a lap aren't going to consider getting half a second on race day a success, for example.

It is easy to spot the idiots by those who think the latest Starship launch was classed as a failure. Its just laughable.

You do realise they have 4 more boosters and ships ready to go and be exploded. They are not final articles.

Falcon9 is the most economically reliable rocket in the world and which crushes the competition in every way. So much so the EU had to painfully resort to using SpaceX for some of their launches.
Oh what a disaster the Falcon 9 turned out to be.

Any way you look at it it was a partial failure. I'm a SpaceX fan but anyone who says it was a complete success is either delusional or an Elon simp. If the next 4 attempts also blow up I can guarantee no one including the FAA will be calling it anything other than a failure.

LOL yeah I'm sure the EU is using SpaceX through gritted teeth, though its actually the European Space Agency :cry: :cry: You paint any narrative you want on it if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Bunch of leftie Elon haters in here it seems.

Elon is doing the world a good deed. Spending $40 billion just to uphold free speech.

So is banning Kanye for posting an image of a swastika in a Star of David upholding free speech? Remembering that he agreed with and promoted an age old trope about Jews bringing in immigrants to water down the white citizens, a trope used by Germans in the 1930s.

Not in any industry I've ever worked in, typically you'd set new targets with the new information, and adjustments to whatever you've adjusted, factored in and then success is measured against that.

An F1 team who claim to have a new wing worth 1 second a lap aren't going to consider getting half a second on race day a success, for example.

Its amazing the difference of opinion you get between people who have worked in manufacturing and those who organise time rotas in a call centre.

Despite the fact that according to 90% of people in this thread I shouldn't. It doesn't surprise me that so many of you are baffled why Elon won't just do as he's told, why he'll tell advertisers to go **** themselves; it doesn't make sense to you. Yet this is also the reason he's so successful.
Of course it makes sense to you.

After the advetisers say "nah no thanks", Elon the big baby says back "well go f yourself"

Real man that! I get why you support that.

There is a type "macho hard man" guy that uses online dating and after a girl rejects them, they reply back saying something like "you're a b word, w word, s word any way and I didn't want you"

So yeha you support the same behaviour from Elon and can relate.

xjYU8El.png

This is literally what Elon just did with advertisers and what roar relates to. Definitely cis alpha male vibes

Last edited:
Its amazing the difference of opinion you get between people who have worked in manufacturing and those who organise time rotas in a call centre.

Actually I was Head of Planning in a previous life! The same holds in any data role as much as manufacturing though, you test a change to system configuration or process expecting an outcome.

If that's a time saving, cost benefit or whatever, you still expect something to happen and not achieving it is a failure.

Currently I'm working on route optimisation with expected benefits of £1.3m per annum, if we don't deliver that the board will want to know why.

The same holds in any data role as much as manufacturing though, you test a change to system configuration or process expecting an outcome.

How much does it cost to test this change? And how long does it take to complete a test cycle?

I regularly test things I expect to fail. That's because it costs me ten minutes and provides valuable data. SpaceX didn't expect failure, it cost them millions, and they will now need months before they can try again.

I'm a Forecasting Analyst, I don't organise rotas. A Scheduling Analyst might do that as part of their role, or it can just be done by Team Leaders or Supervisors as long as they're working to the plan and taking into account the FTE requirements at an interval level, which is obviously based on forecasted volumes and AHTs. What's amazing is how you confidently speak about something you know so little about.

People are confidently sat here telling SpaceX who put a 5,000 tonne rocket 100 miles into the atmosphere that they're doing it wrong and are failing. Incredible. SpaceX employs the absolute top engineers in the world, it's one of the hardest organisations in the world to get a job at.

Last edited:
How much does it cost to test this change? And how long does it take to complete a test cycle?

I regularly test things I expect to fail. That's because it costs me ten minutes and provides valuable data. SpaceX didn't expect failure, it cost them millions, and they will now need months before they can try again.

TBF they were never going to use the Booster or Starship again. At best they would have had a soft landing in the sea, no part would have been used again even had they survived. I'm not even sure there was any plan to try and retrieve then, I wouldn't be surprised if they had used the in flight termination system to rupture the tanks and sink them. Maybe Starship tiles would have been useful to see.

However they do now lack all the data they would have gained had the booster returned to sea level and had Starship made it to orbit and survived re-entry. Though with that many missing tiles that is unlikely.

Last edited:
mission success/failure measure depends what the specific Spacex failures are causing the aborts - which we don't get to know, to determine if they should have done better simulation/anticipation.
(what were the relative contribution of new engine steering and concrete pad to the last success)

rather than cancelling advertising - not sure why the european commission doesn't start proceedings of digital hate law against twitter, got to be a first case somewhere,
are they still, hypocritically, using twitter it for communication though;
Other, media, companies who paused - what platforms are they spending their advertising budgets with that are so clean tik-tok/fb ??

I'm a Forecasting Analyst, I don't organise rotas. A Scheduling Analyst might do that as part of their role, or it can just be done by Team Leaders or Supervisors as long as they're working to the plan and taking into account the FTE requirements at an interval level, which is obviously based on forecasted volumes and AHTs. What's amazing is how you confidently speak about something you know so little about.

People are confidently sat here telling SpaceX who put a 5,000 tonne rocket 100 miles into the atmosphere that they're doing it wrong and are failing. Incredible. SpaceX employs the absolute top engineers in the world, it's one of the hardest organisations in the world to get a job at.
TBF I was taking the mick, albeit with some reality as someone who has spent most of my working life around manufacturing.

I am not down on spacex personally. Although yes I agree, they employ the best, its the simplest way to get anywhere fastest, employ those with knowledge and proven experience. Its always been the same in business.
I mean why do you think the Russians and Americans were desperate to secure the Nazi rocket engineers post WW2...
From what I have heard, but of course opinions differ, Spacex are successful despite Musk, not because of him.

Anyway, back to the dumpster fire that is twitx...

What's that got to do with anything. The cost is from the failed test requiring another test.

Development cycle will rarely expect to be perfect first time.
Eg even something such as simple as a development chef will go through multiple iterations even after designing the perfect taste, consistency etc first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom