The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you have highlighted is that when people use terms like "big" they really need to clarify the metric.

Brand, history, units sold, influence etc etc
I think most normal people understand its a combination of all those things, if some one was to state ferrari are big in the car industry you wouldn't expect some else to come along, spurg out and say ackshually they only sold 14k cars last year they aren't big. Tesla are big in the motor industry purely because of the brand and innovation, to try and claim otherwise is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
You've decided, arbitrarily, that big refers simply to total units sold. I would argue Ferrari is "big" in the car industry as well, I'd argue Rolex is big in the watch industry; irrespective of their market share or sales volumes. You don't get to define what I meant in a sentence I wrote when I said Tesla was "big" in the car industry.
Keep digging. :cry:

I can’t see how anyone could say that Tesla aren’t a big automotive player. They own a lot of the charging infrastructure in the US for a start.

I think most normal people understand its a combination of all those things, if some one was to state ferrari are big in the car industry you wouldn't expect some else to come along, spurg out and say ackshually they only sold 14k cars last year they aren't big. Tesla are big in the motor industry purely because of the brand and innovation, to try and claim otherwise is just plain stupid.

Again its opinion.
I mean some people ;) think a few memes will give you enough information to form a valid opinion on something.
Imagine how silly most people would consider that person to be ;)
You mentioned stupid...

Its all about CONTEXT.

IMO Ferrari are big, tesla are kinda middle pack. Tesla are only really influential in Ev and thats still a small fraction of the industry still at this point.
Its easy to be a big fish in a small pond when the majority of the fish want to be in the large pond.
Its why when you consider the brands Toyota are so large as they are far more active in regions where other companies are not.

Yea, just ignore the primary definition, pick something that suits your goalpost moving, then claim it's everyone else's problem for not being able to read your mind rather than you being a Musk sycophancy taken in by the propaganda just because you lack the backbone to admit that you said anything wrong. :cry:

Yea, just ignore the primary definition, pick something that suits your goalpost moving, then claim it's everyone else's problem for not being able to read your mind rather than you being a Musk sycophancy taken in by the propaganda just because you lack the backbone to admit that you said anything wrong. :cry:

You know, I am actually aware that Tesla isn't selling the same number of vehicles each year as VW or GM. I know this because when I go outside I see many cars that aren't Teslas, and few cars that are Teslas. So when I said Tesla was a big company, I did in fact understand that they weren't shifting the same volumes as VW; a company that has small cities and train stations built around their factories in Germany. I'm sorry you saw the word 'big' as a vector to attack me and failed to fit the actual words definition into your narrative, in what was already an irrelevant and tangential argument. I'll finish my work and go train now since it's nearly 5pm.

Again its opinion.
I mean some people ;) think a few memes will give you enough information to form a valid opinion on something.
Imagine how silly most people would consider that person to be ;)
I mean some people ;) dont understand how *********** memes works.
Its all about CONTEXT.

IMO Ferrari are big, tesla are kinda middle pack. Tesla are only really influential in Ev and thats still a small fraction of the industry still at this point.
Its easy to be a big fish in a small pond when the majority of the fish want to be in the large pond.
Its why when you consider the brands Toyota are so large as they are far more active in regions where other companies are not.
And yet if you were to give the average person in the uk a list of the top 10 biggest car manufacturers and told them to arrange them from most sold to least I'd bet Toyota would come near the bottom despite selling the most worldwide.

Last edited:
I mean some people ;) dont understand how *********** memes works.

And yet if you were to give the average person in the uk a list of the top 10 biggest car manufacturers and told them to arrange them from most sold to least I'd bet Toyota would come near the bottom despite selling the most worldwide.

Yeah some people including the mods of the forum who told the person who was stupid enough to think memes were a useful guide into something to stop posting.
I am sure the idiot would take offence as well ;)
Its the equivalent of someone thinking they knew about brains as they had eaten a tin of Mr Brains pork faggots.

What does it matter if the average person in the UK fails to understand how significant Toyota are.
Your just kind of confirming that the uneducated may well see a car company as more or less significant by sales based on limited knowledge.

Yeah some people including the mods of the forum who told the person who was stupid enough to think memes were a useful guide into something to stop posting.
I am sure the idiot would take offence as well ;)
Its the equivalent of someone thinking they knew about brains as they had eaten a tin of Mr Brains pork faggots
I have no idea what you are talking about :confused:

What does it matter if the average person in the UK fails to understand how significant Toyota are.
Your just kind of confirming that the uneducated may well see a car company as more or less significant by sales based on limited knowledge.
As previously said, when talking about whether a car manufacturer is 'big' 99% of what makes that impression is everything around the manufacturer, sales only being a small part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom