US: The Orville

Up to episode 5 and enjoying it so far. Its basically light-hearted sci-fi with a fair few unnecessary jokes and the odd ones that genuinely have you laughing.

I would like to see this renewed for a few seasons to give the writers a chance to create some worthwhile story arcs as I think it really does fill a niche.

Soldato
So that latest episode was almost an exact copy of that Voyager episode where
Voyager gets stuck in a temporal orbit of a planet and then watched the civilisation go from stone age to space faring over the course of about 2 days.

Not complaining. It was a pretty sweet Voyager episode, and nice to see it re-imagined on The Orville. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So that latest episode was almost an exact copy of that Voyager episode where
Voyager gets stuck in a temporal orbit of a planet and then watched the civilisation go from stone age to space faring over the course of about 2 days.

Not complaining. It was a pretty sweet Voyager episode, and nice to see it re-imagined on The Orville. :)
Yeah, while watching we spotted that straight away and were making predictions on how the episode would go as we watched :p

Same, not really complaining. The show is slowly growing on us. Really hope it does not get canceled anytime soon.

Soldato
Not sure whether I love or hate this. Has a galaxy quest feel, but can't seem to decide if it wants to be a comedy or not. A weird one.

Same here, can't quite make my mind up what it's supposed to be? It's just not that funny, just feels a bit contrived. I was hoping for a funnier version of SpaceQuest, but it just missed the mark.

Soldato
I haven't been bothered to watch the last four or five episodes, so unless I make a real effort to get back into it, the show has pretty much run it's course with me. If I'm not fussed to watch it, then that answers the question as to whether it's kept my interest or not.

Soldato
I don't think it's supposed to be a comedy, I think it just exaggerates those moments between the staff like in the Star Trek series.

It's a comedy-drama, the problem is it's not particularly competent at either of those things. It certainly isn't funny, and the characters have no depth or likeable attributes by which to draw you into the storyline, even on a per-episode basis.

Chuck, Warehouse 13, A Town Called Eureka etc all managed to find the right balance without taking themselves too seriously most of the time. Then you've got Orville, which decides to address the issue of child sex change procedures and gender reassignment after 3 episodes. What the hell were they thinking when they wrote that script?!

Back
Top Bottom