*** The OS X Lion Thread ***

Associate
Just tried Lion to have a look at it - some features are nice and it boots up v fast.

Big problem for me though is that I can't run PPc apps (specifically FCP7, DVD Studio Pro, Color etc).

Now I wouldn't be averse to upgrading, but FCP X is just awful (buggy, bad timeline redesign and lacking basic features like output to tape).
Wish Apple had left FCP in the hands of Macromedia, at least they knew what they were doing with it... and I fail to see how removing support for PPc apps (a great feature) is an "upgrade".

Back to SL for me.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Now I wouldn't be averse to upgrading, but FCP X is just awful (buggy, bad timeline redesign and lacking basic features like output to tape).
Wish Apple had left FCP in the hands of Macromedia, at least they knew what they were doing with it... and I fail to see how removing support for PPc apps (a great feature) is an "upgrade".

Well, if Apple doesn't bring FCP X Broadcast Edition extra pronto, they will loose the market that fed them for all these years. Posers and girls come and go, but the gross of Apple income through all of the "thin" years was always media professionals.

FCP X cuts all ties to that market - it cannot import FCP projects (imports iMovie projects instead), it doesn't export to tapes, it doesn't output to external broadcast monitors. It's a joke. For all intents and purposes, it should have been called iMovie Pro X, not FCP X.

Paired with QuickTime X inability to provide export engine of QuickTime Pro, Apple has about 12 months of "lifeline" up until which point professionals might still try and source old FCP from dusty shelves in third party shops, but beyond that, all new businesses will have to make alternative arrangements, and once they go for Avid or Premiere, there is no reason to stay on Apple hardware. This in turn, within 3-5 years will change the market - Apple ProRes format, available only to Mac, in a software package that no longer can be used to edit to broadcast, will stop being primary accepted file format for HD, and the entire Pro range of Apple products (I'm talking £3k+ rigs) will become Intergraph and SGI of the new millennium. The impact will be incredible, considering how many outfits made their bread around accessories and effect rigs for FCP - good 70% of the broadcast hardware market will sink with mothership. All because Apple didn't understand just how crucial rewrite of FCP is to everyone out there.

Associate
Well, if Apple doesn't bring FCP X Broadcast Edition extra pronto, they will loose the market that fed them for all these years. Posers and girls come and go, but the gross of Apple income through all of the "thin" years was always media professionals.

yep, and although I have done well out of it my FinalCut Studio seems like bad value now at £800+

I would still use it over media composer/nitrous whatever but I can see my PC hammering out a lot of avid projects soon...
Oh well, there goes my Steam folder lol...

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Will never become a full-on edit solution imo, unless it has a BIG redesign.
Not bad for big renders/conforms/keying though.

While I agree it's clunky and very "unfcp" for mac users, many places already switch to it over FCP, mainly because it flawlessly supports import and export of other "popular for broadcast but cheap to make in the field" formats FCP refuse to acknowledge existence of. Anything that needs to go in and out in mpeg formats, both SD and HD, 50i with mpeg2 audio or with PCM, various pre-edit camera footage formats, avi imports, MXF, MTS, etc - Premiere just imports without issue, Final Cut just beachballs for few seconds and refuse to take them at all. Even "new" Compressor engine still sports the crippled mpeg2 addon with bitrates up to 40Mbps only and there are no api's for third party codecs to save it. When it comes to new and future formats, FCP is in a sorry state, really.

Associate
Oh and btw ProRes is a joke as well... hope it gets binned ASAP.

And as far as it being a mac only format, I usually kick out prores as SDI/whatever using DVS Clipster (non-mac).

Associate
While I agree it's clunky and very "unfcp" for mac users, many places already switch to it over FCP

I severely doubt that.
I'm primarily an EVS Op at Sky.
My other duties there include working in the "Creative" area as the vid nut who imports/outputs all these mac nuts and flame/flint/nuke ops.

These guys have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER about how video/proper edits work.... usually the closest thing to a timeline editor they get to is AE.

This environment is best for Premiere - it can look at nuke and flame dumps and corresponding mattes VERY well. And has an excellent DBase/EDL etc facility for working across a LOT of platforms on a big network. This is something FCP/Apple falls over MASSIVELY on. FCP suites can't work on a proper lanshare/MAM/whatever at all. Awful networking or something.

As far as it replacing FCP, i severely doubt it... media composer by Avid will likely rear its ugly head again in a big way (not a bad thing in a lot of ways).

This is all a sideline to me anyway - I hammer away on 'orrible broadcast gear normally like EVS LSM's and IPDirector (now that is NASTY software) :(.

I will continue to use FCP7 though - it has all the support I need (AVC intra/DVCPRO HD codecs basically).

v0n

v0n

Soldato
DVS Clipster - that's a good £60k investment, isn't it? Is it good/worth the money?

Actually, since now a simple ffmpeg can read ProRes "natively" - (as in - as compiled cross platform decoder, rather than 32bit quick time library in a QT reader wrapper), and can output DNxHD, things are looking worse for FCP by the day....

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I will continue to use FCP7 though - it has all the support I need (AVC intra/DVCPRO HD codecs basically).

I agree, but imagine you need to start a new company tomorrow and furnish 10 brand new stations. You can't buy FCP7, you can't really work with the "iMovie Plus" FCPX, Media Composer is 2-2.5 grand, Premiere is what - £600?

Associate
60K eh? heh i never knew it cost that much lolz

I hate QT anyway mate... Apple have NEVER supported it in a true broadcast environment even though (as you obviously know) its HEAVILY used.

I'm still having to convert QT output from these nubs to square pixels after 10 years+ using the ****.

Trying to get mac ops away from targa 8bit output up to DPX 10 bit is still a struggle to this day...

Associate
Avid are moving in on the FCP market - I was offered MC standalone full-on for about £800 the other month (thats like a reduction from... dunno masive).
They are already going to steal the market... Avid is inbuilt in all broadcast areas anyway still (lots of other things they make).

What I would REALLY like is some other competitor to arise in the edit/compositing area. **** audio, its easily enough dealt with.

Permabanned
I accidently deleted an app from the Mac App Store list that I didn't mean to. Is there anyway to recover it to my list or am I going to have to contact Apple?

Soldato
If you use webmail, which most people seem to do nowadays then is there any point ticking the iCloud option for email? Surely, if you are using IMAP which again is now default for many users then your email will be there on matter which device one uses and no need for iCloud?

I did notice when I downloaded the update on my iMac and installed iCloud the email option was already unticked so perhaps the system already knows the users email client.

Back
Top Bottom