*** The OS X Lion Thread ***

Soldato
I like full screen apps :) it's pretty much replaced how I used to use Spaces on 10.6.x

Mail/iTunes/iPhoto are all full screen apps and I find it really handy :)

I cannot however stand Safari full screen for some reason.

Edit : Should have mentioned I'm on a mac mini with 27" Dell and magic mouse.

Last edited:
Associate
I absolutely love it on my MBP, however that has a trackpad and the gestures are just brilliant.

An iMac with a Mighty Mouse though is a different story.

I've has the same problem. Using my Unibody MacBook with the trackpad is brilliant, using it at my desk with wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse is just rubbish. I'm now looking at the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad.

Soldato
I've has the same problem. Using my Unibody MacBook with the trackpad is brilliant, using it at my desk with wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse is just rubbish. I'm now looking at the Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad.

I've just sold the Magic Trackpad for my Mac Pro, it just didn't work as well as a Magic Mouse.

Mission Control needs some work tho, too many apps don't support it and sometimes error messages disappear into full screen spaces... which you can't get to :rolleyes:

C+ at the moment for MC, could do better... A lot better!

Permabanned
OP
Just had to do a full re install of Lion on my MBP. Made a big difference, super snappy now. I had previously migrated from 2 previous iMacs and then upgraded to lion.

Did the re install via recovery hdd and it downloaded lion via the net as it installed, absolutely awesome!

Soldato
This is sad but it's doing to my head in. When I login you get the white background with apple logo then the background goes a cream colour. This is a change since I installed Lion. Any reason why it goes cream? It's only briefly.

Soldato
I've been using Lion since the day of release and have to say I'm back with SL. Not only that but I wish I'd changed back much earlier! I'd not realised how bad it was until I got back to ole faithful. So many issues had crept in fairly slowly that I'd not realised how bad it was in comparison and even blamed the hardware (early 2011 MBP).

* Taking ages to reboot, or just hanging on the grey screen without actually restarting.
* Beech-balling and running really slowly, lagging etc.
* Couldn't watch a film and download at the same time due to huge stuttering, pauses etc.
* Slow to load thumbnails and apps bounced for ages on launch.

The list goes on. I ended up formatting the hdd and going back to SL, and voila! Running like a greased Whippet and everything works again. I've never seen a beech-ball, I can watch a 1080p film while downloading another 1080p film with no stuttering/issues, and basically it's lovely.

Weird. But I think I'll be staying with SL. <3

Soldato
Rainmaker, have you checked your hard drive is alright (SMART status, etc.)?

Those all sound like disk I/O issues to me.

Just for balance, I've also been running Lion since release and have had none of the issues you describe. There have been a few quirks, most of which have now been resolved by the subsequent software updates, but nothing as serious as those issues. I'd say Lion is quite a bit snappier than Snow Leopard :)

SMART shows a pass/OK/verified (depending on which tool you use) and I've also run memtest, various RAM diagnostics, CPU checks etc. As I said SL is running perfectly, I'd forgotten how fast the MBP was! Weird I agree, but I see no reason to risk upgrading again until I have to.

Permabanned
I've been bouncing back and forth between SL and Lion and my iMac will be SL for the foreseeable future and my MBP Lion. The MBP will be a test machine for various software and updates to see if Lion improves to a point where I want it on my iMac.

There was so much added to Lion that is just gimmicky fluff it's not funny. Launchpad has to be the dumbest thing ever on an OS (hell it reminds me of that horrible plasma widget for KDE that sticks the folders in a pane on the desktop, you know incase you can't find the home folder in the task bar.... the exact same problem with Lion and launchpad, I mean, if we're going to move to launchpad, why bother with a task bar, and vice versa, if we've got a task bar, why bother with launchpad? Pointless) and as for mission control... they could have just said they'd updated expose/spaces instead of rebranding it. I don't use full screen apps. Ever. Re-opening Windows when you reboot is hardly used and I mean hardly because the only reason it occurs is when I forget to un-tick reopen application windows when shutting down)... too much beach-balling. Even with the RAM upgrade I just did, Lion still feels heavier than a fat chick in a pie shop...

But then you can't charge $20 or whatever to tell people you've improved libraries and security, because there's nothing to see unless you're a programmer and most people aren't willing to part with their cash unless they can see something for it.

I also don't like how fractured the Apple ecosystem is becoming. How many times do you need to rebrand your cloud services Apple? iTools? .Mac, MobileMe, now iCloud? So now some people will be on their fourth email address and still no ****ing way to merge accounts into one main account... sure you can (possibly) use those four separate emails to sign into each of the services, but again, what is the point?!

Soldato
Has anybody noticed their MBP runs hotter with Lion? On SL my 2010 13" MBP would normally sit around 35-38oc when just browsing the web. It now sits closer to 45-50oc!!

I can even hear the fans....I never used to hear the fans :(

Soldato
I find it extremely pleasant compared to Windows. Everything Seems to glide. Even better when using full multi-touch gestures.

I don't understand your post - I run both OS X Lion and W7 daily and find both equally pleasant and intuitive to use. I wouldn't put a pin between them for ease or pleasantness of use. What's your comparison Windows 3.1? :rolleyes:

Soldato
Perhaps computer skills a little lacking then? :rolleyes:

Pretty harsh. I'd say on a normal desktop computer there's very little difference in the way of productivity between the 2 OSes, but OS X on a MacBook is just such a nicer experience compared to a Windows 7 laptop built by someone else.

Soldato
Pretty harsh. I'd say on a normal desktop computer there's very little difference in the way of productivity between the 2 OSes, but OS X on a MacBook is just such a nicer experience compared to a Windows 7 laptop built by someone else.

I agree 100%

I can get my work done on either machine easily enough but I find I always reboot into OSX to do so.

Soldato

Well for me the only good Laptop is a dead one of either ilk, absolutely hateful things. Desktops rule in our house, always have and always will.

However, the logic of why OS X on a Laptop should be any different to a Desktop or why W7 on a similarly built high end Laptop should be any different or inferior to a MBP totally eludes me.

Back
Top Bottom