*** The OS X Lion Thread ***

Soldato
Well for me the only good Laptop is a dead one of either ilk, absolutely hateful things. Desktops rule in our house, always have and always will.

However, the logic of why OS X on a Laptop should be any different to a Desktop or why W7 on a similarly built high end Laptop should be any different or inferior to a MBP totally eludes me.

Half the experience with OS X now is with gestures, which with you not using a laptop, will probably not realise is best done with a trackpad; something generally found on laptops and not on desktop computers ;)

Windows laptops, on the whole, are awful at this. MacBooks aren't. As an example, Safari is such a joyful experience on Lion now that using anything else now just seems counterintuitive.

It is also the reason why I've kept my parents iMac on SL because all they have is a Mighty Mouse, and Lion is too gesture-centric to be as productive on without a trackpad (at least when utilising full-screen mode).

I also like to think Apple put greater thought into the design of their laptops to improve usability compared to others, but hey what does my actual experience of laptop computers know :rolleyes:

Soldato
Half the experience with OS X now is with gestures, which with you not using a laptop, will probably not realise is best done with a trackpad; something generally found on laptops and not on desktop computers ;)

Windows laptops, on the whole, are awful at this. MacBooks aren't. As an example, Safari is such a joyful experience on Lion now that using anything else now just seems counterintuitive.

It is also the reason why I've kept my parents iMac on SL because all they have is a Mighty Mouse, and Lion is too gesture-centric to be as productive on without a trackpad (at least when utilising full-screen mode).

I also like to think Apple put greater thought into the design of their laptops to improve usability compared to others, but hey what does my actual experience of laptop computers know :rolleyes:

Well I'm not trying to be confrontational (honest) but I truly hate the trackpad, just stroking the darned thing reminds me of chalk scratching down a blackboard argh! Another thing with trackpad is it just isn't as accurate as a mouse. On the subject of MM - that's something else I've ditched due to (a) its voracious appetite for batteries and (b) poor ergonomic design, I've actually gone back to my Logitech mouse which has a lovely ergonomic feel to it.

Never use Safari as I hate the way it displays bookmarks. I want them in a sidebar like IE, Firefox, Chrome or Opera not in their own tab.

So taking away personal preference for gestures then - take two high end Laptops one with OS X and the other with W7 complete with mouse - both of them, and there would be nowt to choose between them. :D

P.S. I do have two Mac's my iMac and a Mini

Last edited:
Permabanned
@Faustus it all goes down to personal opinion. Live with it.

Well I'm not trying to be confrontational (honest) but I truly hate the trackpad, just stroking the darned thing reminds me of chalk scratching down a blackboard argh! Another thing with trackpad is it just isn't as accurate as a mouse. On the subject of MM - that's something else I've ditched due to (a) its voracious appetite for batteries and (b) poor ergonomic design, I've actually gone back to my Logitech mouse which has a lovely ergonomic feel to it.

Never use Safari as I hate the way it displays bookmarks. I want them in a sidebar like IE, Firefox, Chrome or Opera not in their own tab.

So taking away personal preference for gestures then - take two high end Laptops one with OS X and the other with W7 complete with mouse - both of them, and there would be nowt to choose between them. :D

P.S. I do have two Mac's my iMac and a Mini

Do you see what you did there? ;)

Soldato
Installed Lion last night as I was bored waiting for 500Gb to transfer with SATA errors (see other thread), so installed Lion on my old MacBook Air (1st Gen).

I'm quite impressed! Totally don't get Launchpad though. And the gestures were a little 'off' compared to what I was used to. I'm just pleased Visor has been updated (to TotalTerminal) as that was the only thing that wouldn't 'work' on Lion.

Permabanned
Not really an issue as there's not that many Mac users use Safari out of choice. FF or Chrome are what most of us use.

FF doesn't do gestures, it sucks not being able to swipe left for back and right for forward, using ff sucks compared to safari since lion

oh and trackpads on macs are about a million times better than any trackpad i have ever used on other laptops

Soldato
I use Safari on my MBP simply for the gestures, hadn't used SL. Don't find anything really wrong with the browser, use FF on my desktop.

This is my point, may be if you want a mobile solution (which I never have wanted OS X or Windows). My only interest is in Desktops. I don't use MM which has some gesture options but due to poor battery life and even poorer ergonomic design I went back to my Logitech mouse.

However, the real downside to Safari, for me at least is the abysmal way the browser handles bookmarks. What is the advantage in having to move to a different full screen every time you want your bookmarks. FF, IE, Chrome, and Opera all have them in a logical place i.e. down the side of the tab on request and in the tab you are currently using. Sometimes being different for different sake simply doesn't work.

P.S. Even if I had gestures I wouldn't use them, tried them and prefer a mouse (which BTW I use even when using a Laptop).

Back
Top Bottom