The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Soldato
Same here, I loved New Vegas, but there's nothing new here and I feel totally underwhelmed.

What could they add that is new? VATS is better in this, quests and story details are way better, shooting is better. Though New Vegas literally had worse shooting than Doom 1993 so that isn't hard. I couldn't think of a feature fitting for the genre that this game doesn't have already.

There isn't one aspect that is not better in Outer Worlds except the world and lore, but Fallout had had 20 years to grow and this hasn't even had 2 months.

Associate
What could they add that is new? VATS is better in this, quests and story details are way better, shooting is better. Though New Vegas literally had worse shooting than Doom 1993 so that isn't hard. I couldn't think of a feature fitting for the genre that this game doesn't have already.

There isn't one aspect that is not better in Outer Worlds except the world and lore, but Fallout had had 20 years to grow and this hasn't even had 2 months.

This game does offer as much if not more than New Vegas I agree with that, however the game is dull, characters are boring and the gameplay and graphics are abit poor. I don't really think it should be compared to New Vegas because it's so old, but it certainly doesn't cut it for a 2019 title in my personal opinion. I thought it was really crap and overpriced and so glad I didn't have to pay for it because I would have been raging.

Soldato
This game does offer as much if not more than New Vegas I agree with that, however the game is dull, characters are boring and the gameplay and graphics are abit poor. I don't really think it should be compared to New Vegas because it's so old, but it certainly doesn't cut it for a 2019 title in my personal opinion. I thought it was really crap and overpriced and so glad I didn't have to pay for it because I would have been raging.
Yeah the price was pretty steep I'll agree, though I thought the characters were good, especially the companions. Some were generic bad but that's the point given the politics of the game, did you beat it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Obsidian are never going to make technically great games. They do the minimum. That's why even though I love the game and everything I couldn't give it a particularly high rating... Animations are so poor, all conversations are just talking heads. I've only been on the first planet, but the settlement is dead with barely any npcs, basically a cardboard cutout, and most building are just window dressing... Maybe 10 years ago, but we've moved on.

Even though I love the game, because I love these types of games, I can't rate higher than about 8/10 at this point.

Associate

Pretty much my thoughts, it wasn't my intention to say New Vegas was better as it's nearly 10 years old, going back and playing it now wouldn't feel the same as playing it back in 2010, perhaps my expectations were too high, I should love this game but I don't :(.

Associate
Pretty much my thoughts, it wasn't my intention to say New Vegas was better as it's nearly 10 years old, going back and playing it now wouldn't feel the same as playing it back in 2010, perhaps my expectations were too high, I should love this game but I don't :(.

I had a feeling that this was the way it was going to go with this game.

Soldato
It's unfair to compare it to New Vegas. That game had some of the best quests and writing ever in a video game and some of the best characters(no wonder these characters seem bland when you compare them to Cass, Benny, Yes Man, Mr House etc). I haven't seen anything so far that is in the same league... But that doesn't mean I think its bad. This is the first game, so maybe it can be expanded on in a sequel. I certainly hope so.

As for the game I'm struggling to care about the companions tbh, but the vicar seems quite interesting. I've just been through Groundbreaker, which looked impressive at first, but I soon realised it was a medium sized warehouse with about 20 random and 5 named npcs in it!

Soldato
About 15 hours in and.... Bored.
Doesn't seem to grab my like most of its predecessors.
The world seems so small.
Weapon and enemy varieties are limited.

Associate
Don't see why this game is reviewed so highly its boring graphics are too bright and colourful for me the combat is boring and easy also the companion special skills can't be skipped which good at first get on my nerves after seeing them now.

Caporegime
Anyone had any issue/bug with vicar max? It's happened through my entire playthrough since he joined my party, but the perks I unlock for him never seem to save after I reload a save game, and weapons and armour I give him disappear as well.

Pretty annoying because his companion skill with a tinkered sawn off shotgun mk II was very powerful.

Soldato
Anyone had any issue/bug with vicar max? It's happened through my entire playthrough since he joined my party, but the perks I unlock for him never seem to save after I reload a save game, and weapons and armour I give him disappear as well.

Pretty annoying because his companion skill with a tinkered sawn off shotgun mk II was very powerful.

Nope, was okay for me. No issues with losing Armor and weapons? Do they return to your inventory? Or gone for good or something?

Caporegime
No, they are gone for good :(

And also, when I go to the Groundbreaker, even when I don't take him in the party with me, he's standing outside the medical bay....very odd.

Soldato
I'm enjoying the game, but it occasionally feels like I'm playing a "lite" version. By which I mean, it feels strangely incomplete. I can't quite pinpoint why though. Also, 7 ctd's in 15 hours of play and a presently unfixable graphical bug.

Caporegime
I'm enjoying the game, but it occasionally feels like I'm playing a "lite" version. By which I mean, it feels strangely incomplete. I can't quite pinpoint why though. Also, 7 ctd's in 15 hours of play and a presently unfixable graphical bug.

I know what you mean.

Monarch felt fairly large, and there was loads to do.

Then I went to Scylla and it was tiny.

Soldato
What were the issues? I played at 3440x1400 and I didn't notice any problems. Looked fine as far as I could tell.

3440x1440 is 'zoomed' in even when set to full screen compared to other resolutions. If you set the res to 2560x1440 and have the black bars you see more than setting to 3440x1440 windowed fullscreen. It's not a game breaker but it's the end of 2019 and games are still struggling to fully support 21:9.

Soldato
3440x1440 is 'zoomed' in even when set to full screen compared to other resolutions. If you set the res to 2560x1440 and have the black bars you see more than setting to 3440x1440 windowed fullscreen. It's not a game breaker but it's the end of 2019 and games are still struggling to fully support 21:9.

Oh right. I never noticed, tbh.

Does changing the FOV counteract this? I did notice that when I first started the default FOV was horrible and I had to pull the slider to a much higher value before I could play comfortably. Tbh, I'm not sure how the FOV slider works in terms of which aspect of the field it changes and how this relates to the zoomed in effect.

Back
Top Bottom