The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Soldato
I enjoyed Andromeda I understand it wasn't the game die hard Mass Effect fans wanted so it generated a lot of hate but taken isolation I felt it was a solid game it's currently less than £6 on instant gaming. I also enjoyed Outer Worlds, I wish it had been longer though and wouldn't pay full price for it for that reason.

Soldato
I have started this again with a different character setup. Enjoying it so much more and even had to up the difficulty this time as my choices have made it easier.

Soldato
This or mass effect Andromeda?

Tough. Two pretty disappointing games from my perspective.

Andromeda at least has good combat, and decent enough powers and build options.

Outer Worlds manages at the odd moment to capture some of the tone it's clearly going for with its offbeat dystopian world-building.

But I wouldn't give a hearty recommendation for either one.

Soldato
^ I'd agree with this.
Outer Worlds is a lot more fun but very simple and fairly short.
12 mins is the speed run and it shows you can skip parts of it. I spent 25 hours wandering around and exploring everything and although there are multiple endings, I doubt i will go back and play it again though.

Andromeda is far more open world but fairly empty on the planets. Not completed it yet as I can only play for an hour before getting bored. I do like the combat though.

Andromeda at the current low price is worth getting, Outer Worlds will drop in price over the next year I would think, £15 at most (should give £1 per hour of play).

Associate
I didn't manage to complete Outer Worlds. It was fun and wonderfully crafted but I didn't find it engaging enough at the time. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

I also agree with the above about Andromeda. I enjoyed exploring it far more than I did Outer Worlds.

Soldato
I'm playing Peril on Gorgon now. My God!... Obsidian back to their best. It is easily the best part of the game. Best environment, best story and by far the best quest design. This dlc is almost on a par with New Vegas imo, and I don't say that lightly.

A massive step in the right direction for this game. I hope the 2nd dlc is as good.... And I really hope they don't finish there.

Soldato
I must have played a different game, it's not a patch on fallout.
Took real effort to stick with this game, doubt I'll every play it again.

Soldato
I must have played a different game, it's not a patch on fallout.
Took real effort to stick with this game, doubt I'll every play it again.

Overall the game was a bit disappointing(main gameplay is too simplistic imo), but the new dlc is excellent and definitely a step in the right direction. Writing and quest design is almost New Vegas levels imo(and that's the best Rpg ever made as far as I'm concerned).

Now very excited for future dlc and sequels

Also I have to say the companions have really grown on me this 2nd playthrough. On first playthrough I thought they were a bit boring but this time I have started liking them all. Felix especially is hilarious and has some genuinely funny lines in the dlc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely refuse to pay for DLC, not something I want to encourage and considering how short the game was anyway doubly so.

Is how I feel. I really enjoyed the game but it was criminally short at about 22 hours and I did all bar one (at least of what I found) side missions.

Luckily I played through Game Pass but I don't know how I feel about buying the DLC

Soldato
It's 'old school' obsidian where you have to look past the faults/quirks of the gameplay to enjoy the world and characters, it does seem a bit outdated in a world where RPGs now have highly polished gunplay where it's just serviceable here. I did have fun playing it, would recommended anyone giving it a go on game pass. Don't think I would replay it again though.

Soldato
It's 'old school' obsidian where you have to look past the faults/quirks of the gameplay to enjoy the world and characters, it does seem a bit outdated in a world where RPGs now have highly polished gunplay where it's just serviceable here. I did have fun playing it, would recommended anyone giving it a go on game pass. Don't think I would replay it again though.

That's it's biggest problem. Apart from being too small(I won't say too short), It's too basic. You shoot and that's about it there are no throwables, no traps or grenades etc. No cover. It's too basic.

A good addition I think would be a jetpack similar to Mass effect Andromeda. That would be a, simple addition that would improve the general gameplay massively.

It's all down to budget though. I think they rushed this through as they were going through the Microsoft buyout at the time. With their money behind them a sequel will be amazing I have no doubt!... As I said the DLC already shows big improvement imo

Soldato
What i wanted from it was kind of like a Rage meets Fallout. I wish id have waited for a complete edition and paid around £25 for it, would have been happy then.

Soldato
Most games are 20h

I just expected it to be longer. I paid pretty much no attention to this game and only played it as it was on XBGP which I got a few days prior to playing it. I heard it was made by the original guys who made Fallout so i just figured it would be a bit longer than the 20-22 hours it actually was. It's pretty short for a single player game. Fallout 4 I played for 90 hours and I still haven't completed it.

Soldato
I just expected it to be longer. I paid pretty much no attention to this game and only played it as it was on XBGP which I got a few days prior to playing it. I heard it was made by the original guys who made Fallout so i just figured it would be a bit longer than the 20-22 hours it actually was. It's pretty short for a single player game. Fallout 4 I played for 90 hours and I still haven't completed it.

Just because its short, doesnt mean it sucks.

amount of hours played doesnt equate to a epic game.

quality over quantity and this was my fav game last year . Or at least one of them. Just shy behind rd2 which ironically again was a 25h-30h game too..

Last of us 2 is a masterpiece and again only 20-25h game

Back
Top Bottom