• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Soldato
Hi all, is there a guide on how to undervolt these anywhere, and change fan profiles, what app or apps are people using to keep settings permanent as opposed to losing them upon a reboot?
My devil runs a little warm so if I can undervolt and retain full boost clocks that would be great.

I'm not really bothered about overclocking it beyond the factory OC. But would like to tweak it a bit.

Also I don't really understand the whole power target thing.

Thanks.
Wattman in AMD Settings gives you the most customisation and will retain its settings unless/until you get a driver crash. MSI Afterburner has more control over fan speeds but less over voltages for different power states, so personally I use both.

I haven't touched the power target at all and you shouldn't need to unless your card is throttling. If you're undervolting then the card probably won't be throttling at all anyway.

This video is a good place to start, although I didn't do half the stuff he did:

Soldato
Thanks roadie and dragon :)
I've got afterburner installed already but the ui, whilst nice looking is a bit busy haha
You can change the skin. I use the classic one because the default one is awful; like you say, it's too busy and doesn't explain what each thing does. Reminds me of the '90s.

Soldato
Anyone else see the Red Dragon 4GB cards go so quickly this morning? -25% off (£158.99) and 10+ when I left for work. All gone when I checked an hour or so later.

OCUK are just giving them away to crypto miners now :)

Soldato
I hope it will be possible to crossfire a 580 with a 480. I might have some cash to burn later this year and if the 580 is polaris based which it seems like its going to be it would be pretty awesome.

Associate
I have mine on water. Not the best loop as I only have 1 240mm radiator and my cpu is included.

Can I get some overclocking tips? I over clock mine and put all the power settings on max they can go to. Then hit 1450 and it sticks for a good 20mins to 2 hours and then crashes. 1425 seems the same but lasts longer. But once it's crashed and I hit the over clock again exactly the same settings it sticks for the rest of my session... any information on this? I play mostly wow and sometimes I play ark. Any memory over clock seems to make it crash sooner.

EDIT - for the first time i have now got coil whine on this gpu. was fine until today as soon i put a game on i could hear it. never heard it before.

Last edited:
Soldato
anyone know where you can get BIOS updates for these?

I have checked the vendor site (Powercolor) and nothing doing....

I don't think I've seen any BIOS updates from vendors. You can use the Polaris BIOS Editor to change most reference based GPUs out there but you have to be wary of certain memory types (Elpida) that need a Hex editor so basically read before trying that option.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So I have the 4GB Sapphire Nitro+ model.

Since buying it I've mostly been playing non-taxing indie 2D games (a ton of them!).

Yesterday I played "Gone Home", the first 3D game. The Sapphire was loud - very loud - louder in fact than my old Xbox 360 (which was loud!).

Loud, loud, LOUD! LOTS OF NOISE! LOUDER THAN LOUD!

Bloody loud, in fact.

Have taken a brief look at Wattmann, trying to decipher it. Looks complicated.

Does anyone else have the Sapphire Nitro+ LOUD LOUD LOUD edition? Did you manage to fix the noise? Or do you just live with it? I'm sorry I can't hear you over the noise of the GPU in my system. PLEASE SHOUT YOUR ANSWER!

Associate
Ha ha, well gone home is really not a demanding game at all so it shouldn't be getting really loud unless the game has no frame limit so it's pushing infinity frames through your gpu. Have you got a frame rate target set in drivers ?

Caporegime
Ha ha, well gone home is really not a demanding game at all so it shouldn't be getting really loud unless the game has no frame limit so it's pushing infinity frames through your gpu. Have you got a frame rate target set in drivers ?
I haven't made any alterations. So it's as it was after the default driver install.

Soldato
Does seem odd, you can run that game on a potato, is it definitely the gpu fan spinning up?
Have you had a look at resource monitor to see if there's not some other rogue process?

Might even be a bug with that specific game, do you have issues with other games?

Caporegime
Does seem odd, you can run that game on a potato, is it definitely the gpu fan spinning up?
Have you had a look at resource monitor to see if there's not some other rogue process?

Might even be a bug with that specific game, do you have issues with other games?
Defo the GPU. The rest of my system has been meticulously silenced (or close to it).

I've got Wolfenstein sat in my Steam library and not played it yet, so should be a good test :p Will monitor with that Wattman thingy.

Back
Top Bottom