• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
I had similar issues with my Asus RX480 Dual OC, solved mine by changing the cable even though it worked perfectly fine with the 7970 i had in previously. The cable i'm now using come with a spare Now TV box, but with 1440p and FreeSync you may need a Vesa certified cable.

hmmm i will try a different cable etc but i am using the cable sent with the monitor, should be good enough but we will see tonight

Last edited:
Associate
hmmm i will try a different cable etc but i am using the cable sent with the rx480

Also last year when i had connection issues between a Nano and my Asus PB278Q 1440p monitor in my main rig, again had to ditch the boxed cable and i bought the certified cable "Accell B142C-007B DisplayPort to DP Latching Cable" to solve the issues, i got mine from the Rain Forest.

Associate
The reference cards originally had a temperature target of 80°C. The Asus dual RX480 has a target of 65°C by default. This makes it sound like a leaf blower. I set mine to 75 and it ran much quieter. Unfortunately I noticed mine was artifacting and causing desktop freezes even at stock clocks and voltages though so I'm returning it :(

Interesting you mention artifacting and freezing, I can't decide if mines is little mini freezes or if i'm just seeing things and imagining it, like a little tiny lag spike or something occurs in game except it's definitely not lag, this has only started since changing cards.

I tried what was recommended above by Lustral and set a cap on the fan speed to try and curb the noise a little 1400/1500/1600 RPM and the card will hit 83ºC which I wasn't sure if i was comfortable with.

I assume you think that the artifacting and freezes are temp related? or just a generally faulty card?

Associate
I guess they do that so people can't complain if they try and put a card in that doesn't quite fit?

Interesting they seem to have changed the orientation of the badge on the side so it's the right way up, mines upside down!

Out of interest what max gpu temperatures are you getting and are you running the gpu fans at default?

Default fan profile, no tweeking of any kind. I typically get 81c at max load, still very quiet though with no coil whine

Associate
Mine gets to about 70-75 if capped 60 fps , or 82-83C when left un capped , this is using 1400 RPM cap on the fan speed via Wattman. However when left uncapped on Overwatch on epic graphics it crashes out when it hits high temps 82+C

Did a DDU and reinstalled 17.3.1 crimsons , and decided to leave it on default for the moment , till i have some more time to play around with the settings.

Associate
I've just submitted my request for my free Doom key with AMD Rewards from my purchase for Asus RX480 Dual OC, they asked for a Full, non-cropped image of your receipt (print screen or send the original email as attachment) with AMD Unique ID or Unique Coupon Code visible with the request handled on the support form. And now waiting for them to respond to my support ticket.

Is the standard way now, pretty sure i got the key straight away when i got Battlefront with my Nano last year?

Associate
I assume you think that the artifacting and freezes are temp related? or just a generally faulty card?

I think mine is just a bad card. In Wattman the stock voltage at stage 5 is 1175mv which seems very high and suggests to me that it's a poor quality chip they've just maxed out the voltage on in an attempt to hit the quoted 1305MHz.

While it may have passed their internal quality control tests, it's unreliable in certain games and I have experienced artifacting/texture corruption and had to hard re-boot a couple of times after screen lock ups.

Soldato
I've just submitted my request for my free Doom key with AMD Rewards from my purchase for Asus RX480 Dual OC, they asked for a Full, non-cropped image of your receipt (print screen or send the original email as attachment) with AMD Unique ID or Unique Coupon Code visible with the request handled on the support form. And now waiting for them to respond to my support ticket.

Is the standard way now, pretty sure i got the key straight away when i got Battlefront with my Nano last year?

I didn't have to do any of that, I put my coupon code in and got the steam key straight away.

Soldato
Default fan profile, no tweeking of any kind. I typically get 81c at max load, still very quiet though with no coil whine

Ok cheers, powercolor have said 80c is ok on the little message board thing they have on that devil club website, I was just curious as to what others were getting temp wise.

I have noticed a tiny bit of coil whine on certain menu screens on witcher 3, when testing with FRAPS, some menu screens seem to have a capped frame rate, and some not, and frame rate hits over 2000 fps, that's the only time I've noticed any whine.

Associate
I wish my RX480 didn't keep crashing my PC! I really wanted to like this card as it seemed like an absolute bargain... Hopefully I was just unlucky and the replacement will be less troublesome.

Associate
I had a massive issue with my 480 conflicting with my onboard graphics (ASUS gene V) which you can't full disable in the bios. Only happened when windows tried to install the intel HD 4000 driver. Windows 10 is annoying in the fact you cant disable windows update without using the "show or hide update troubleshooting tool" from the microsoft website.

Soldato
My apu graphics could still be enabled for all I know, I know that the card is working, should I disable the Intel graphics somehow? I figured it would just 'switch' when you plug in a graphics card.

Associate
My apu graphics could still be enabled for all I know, I know that the card is working, should I disable the Intel graphics somehow? I figured it would just 'switch' when you plug in a graphics card.

It should just work like that, I think it was just a driver issue as the onboard gfx is fine as long as its set to "basic microsoft display adaptor" and the intel driver is not installed. I think this problem seems to be unique to the particular set up I have. When I was trying to resolve the issue I couldnt find anyone else that was having the exact same problems so you should be ok :)

Associate
Picked an MSi gaming RX480 for my wife's PC a while back and spent a bit of time with it this past week and I am really impressed with the card. I would easily recommend this to anyone thinking of buying for a budget build.

Soldato
the asic does really affect the maximum overclock of the gpu on air cooling, only the power draw of the core for amd gpu's from what i have seen :(

however i would expect 1380-1450mhz on an asus strix.

I tested my pair of rx480's with the [email protected] last night, i can confirm the [email protected]>[email protected], but this is only in firestrike :D

with 1800X (note lower gpu ever though higher clocks, idk why this is)
1808225.jpg

5960X ( lower gpu clock, but higher gpu score)

1743800.jpg

OcUK Staff
If you clock your RAM to 3000-3200MHz on the Ryzen the score will improve more, Ryzen really enjoys higher frequency memory with 2666-3200MHz being sweet spot, then just tighten timings. :)

Soldato
i know, but i have samsung e die not b die and asus seem to be making all the bios updates to the hero and leaving the prime's to constantly brick themselves :( I cant get past 2400mhz at all, but i tightened the timings from 18-17-17 to 14-14-14 :( I am going to get some b die at some point, but memory prices are silly atm.

OcUK Staff
i know, but i have samsung e die not b die and asus seem to be making all the bios updates to the hero and leaving the prime's to constantly brick themselves :( I cant get past 2400mhz at all, but i tightened the timings from 18-17-17 to 14-14-14 :( I am going to get some b die at some point, but memory prices are silly atm.

Yep memory prices are crazy, no signs of them lowering, still seem to be going up. :(
I am sure other mainboards will improve but memory overclocking wise the CH6 is the champion on that front.

Back
Top Bottom