***The Pond Discussion Thread****

One annoying issue was maintaining the water level as there is (I think) a small leak somewhere in the upper pool/splash pool area which defies precise detection. That together with evaporation meant topping up was required at least once a week.
Watching with interest as I have just made a small solar powered water feature. I wanted to replicate a natural spring with a gentle trickle of water falling over plum slate. I sank a 40litre box and placed a grid over it made from two fridge shelves. The slate is arranged to allow the water to return to the reservoir and to hide the white shelves (bad choice but upcycled so free).

I may have sent myself down the koi rabbit hole. My pond has been running fine for a few years now and I've always said goldfish etc were enough for me but now I have myself two koi arriving next week! I blame watching the Shogun TV series.

Just bought 10Kg of Hakari Wheat-germ.

I think next season it will be 10Kg bags rather than 5Kg bags - they managed to get through 5Kg of Gold in 1 month. So the high temps and growth have seen the pond jump from consuming 1Kg/month to 5Kg/month. However as the temps drop so will their appetites.

Their colour will drop a little but that's normal and I'll re-boost when the water temps rise again.

Back
Top Bottom