***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Associate
It's looking fantastic, especially the planting which is now in flower. Yes, would love some wildlife pictures, it'll be a haven in this hot weather. Looking good and I'm sure you're really pleased with it. Well done.

Soldato
Big update,

All my 15 blue Orf have been eaten and the pond has be ransacked by an otter.:mad::(

:mad:

The Joys of pond ownership. I have:
* rat - found drowned in pond
* frog - will eat any small small fish
* magpies - could possibly eat small fish and beak I think have made a hole somewhere pecking at the fish food
* heron - I have a big concrete pier (post) that helps.
* cats - I have seen a couple but the fish are a little too big.

Associate
Big update,

All my 15 blue Orf have been eaten and the pond has be ransacked by an otter.:mad::(

Oooh god that is awful :(

I built a metal frame grid like thing to stop most of the above attacking it mostly to stop the kids falling in, unfortunately looking how big your pool is this would not be possible. doubt a net would stop an otter :(

Caporegime
OP
Oooh god that is awful :(

I built a metal frame grid like thing to stop most of the above attacking it mostly to stop the kids falling in, unfortunately looking how big your pool is this would not be possible. doubt a net would stop an otter :(

Yeah I want to avoid any fencing mate..

What are your plans now easyrider?

Think I’ll let nature take its course...the pond and waterfall has now become more wild looking...I’ll take a pictures tomo before the cold kicks in.

Oh no, so sorry, terrible news. How do you know it was an otter? Footprints? I wonder if he appreciates his very expensive dinner. Poor frightened fish :(

My mate came down to collect some logs...he works in the agricultural sector...he said no way a Heron would uproot my oxygentors with a root system so big and heavy...

Basically I came home to all my underwater plants uprooted and floating on the surface...I have replanted them now so they should re-establish

Soldato
The fish are starting to eat food, and so I've cleaned out the filter and added a new set of pond bomb balls to the filter.

Still got some work todo in a week or so by dividing the iris.

Caporegime
OP
Pond handled the relatively warm winter well...Went down there last night and saw a couple of toads and Newts....Looking forward to the next few months and watching my pond bloom and team with wildife again :D

Soldato
Cleaned up fish pond from winter. The iris had grown so much it had broken free in all the wind.

Koi now sunning themselves. Water is clearing nicely too.

Caporegime
OP
Ive clears the waterfall of gunk...cleared most of the blanket weed and applied some blanket answer to the pond.I’ve made a second veggie filter with iris and typha...I but some big slate rocks on shelf 2 to prevent pebbles falling into the base of the bond and planted iris and typha directly in the pebbles...

I’ll post a pic tomo. :)

Soldato
hi all,

I have a pond and it is great when the pump is not running.

Basically this is a pond restoration exercise, it has been out of action for years. My aim is to get the pump running and recycling the watsr 24/7.

Last 4-5 days I have been running the pump and the water is going missing to the point where the pond emties then I have to fill it back up.

Very sure there are no leaks at the bottom of the pond or I can’t seem to find the 20,000 litres of water anywhere on the slightly raised ground.

Quick question, how important is cleaning the filter?! Can that contribute to losing this much water? Bit confused at the moment thanks!

Back
Top Bottom