***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Caporegime
OP
How often do you need to clean this?

Good work :)

I've been using two filters and pumps now .. the bioforce 9000 revolution doesn't clear the smaller particles (it uses foam cubes) so the old bioforce 4500 canister (dead UV transformer) on a separate circuit with the old 2500 pump polishes the water. The stink cabbage now has 40 cm leaves in the veggie filter along with the other nitrogen fixing plants.. so good thing you don't have koi :)

I clean it around every 3 weeks , hook the pond pump out take pre filter out of laundry bag.Rinse with pond water and put back in. Takes about 5 mins.

Only thing I changed was I now don't use the wadding on top of the sponge

iywOtcNl.jpg

Caporegime
OP
I'm wondering if your new fish will eat the young toads. Please let's see pics and tell us how it works out. Interesting!

I've just added the fish...the Rudd are already feeding of the flies and the IDE are darting about...I've seen one tench sucking the algae off the pond floor.:p

The IDE are tiny...so will grow the tench are small too...I would say the RUDD are about 4 inches long and look pretty cool with their red fins....

The newts are about still so I'm hoping everything will just balance out. The pond is big enough I reckon.

Soldato
Stunning mate...I want a wildlife pond... Not got the space to do what you have but We can still make a decent'sh sized one....Stunning.. I love the wildlife. Its great that its not forced they are just coming on their own accord..

Caporegime
OP
Bought this for top ups

5mY0iuK.jpg

Removes the chlorine of 250,000 litres .

Needs to have no more than 4litres per min through it.

I’ve also added an air pump... IDE love currents...

Shifts 3600 litres of air an hour. I’ll have this wired in to timer at the weekend

aRgAJWt.jpg

I’ll do a video when I get back home :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought this for top ups

5mY0iuK.jpg

Removes the chlorine of 250,000 litres .

Needs to have no more than 4litres per min through it.

I’ve also added an air pump... IDE love currents...

Shifts 3600 litres of air an hour. I’ll have this wired in to timer at the weekend

aRgAJWt.jpg

I’ll do a video when I get back home :)

Chlorine causes irritation so you get slime bubbles (more than normal) and it affects the gills. Although those species aren't as delicate as Koi or worse sturgeon. #pamperedfish!

On the air pump mine is 600l/h lol that's going to be like a spa! If you find the cost of running that high you could always mount a couple of second hand solar panels and an inverter to run the air pump..

Caporegime
OP
Chlorine causes irritation so you get slime bubbles (more than normal) and it affects the gills. Although those species aren't as delicate as Koi or worse sturgeon. #pamperedfish!

On the air pump mine is 600l/h lol that's going to be like a spa! If you find the cost of running that high you could always mount a couple of second hand solar panels and an inverter to run the air pump..

3600l an hour :D

Tbh the length of the air lines had to be extended...I also bought some sinkable air line as to have a more natural install.

The air pressure was reduced somewhat...butthe fish seem to dig it....it's only 35w power usage and it won't be in 24/7 it will be on a timer....I'll keep an eye on power usage :)

Caporegime
OP
Air Pump in action. Few changes worthy of note. I had to change the left bank from grass to rock. The grass was basically drinking the pond and I lost 1,200 litres over 2 days....Crazy!

Once I put the rocks in place water levels were re-established...TBH I then planted the iris and dutch rush within the rock and I like the look more. Especially when the rocks all weather.

lBoGuQy.jpg

Veg filter in full swing. Iris planted in Alfagrog. No soil and they are thriving.

yHLuZ3v.jpg

Water lilies growing well. I now have 7....This pic was fro last week. I'll take some more pics tomo. :)

EFld5ea.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Looks good and starting to take shape.

One thing to note on the inline dechlorinator, check the levels of chlorine as apparently it doesn't completely remove it.

Caporegime
OP
Looks good and starting to take shape.

One thing to note on the inline dechlorinator, check the levels of chlorine as apparently it doesn't completely remove it.

Indeed...This is not a fail safe solution. But with small topups not an issue. :)

I dunked my waterproof action cam in on Saturday and have some quality video. Of newts and Rudd and IDE. I will be editing it this week and post up :)

Thanks for the interest. :)

Soldato
I really like the variation of plants, it all looks so natural. And the water looks clear, so it must be quite easy to spot how well the fish do. Looking forward to the videos!

Soldato
Loosing lots of water at the moment - more than I'd expect unless the temps of the water are that high.. fish aren't stressed though :/

Back
Top Bottom