The "Post your portraits here of random strangers" thread (only for the brave!).

Soldato
hey ejizz - i noticed from the tp forums that you're upgrading to a d700 - nice move. I've got one winging its way to me in the post as i type. I've already got the grip and 3 cf 8gig cards waiting for it. And yesterday i also whacked a 24-70 nikon 2.8 on the credit card (forgive me!). First real piece of pro glass i've had and i have to say it oozes quality. The thing is, i KNOW i'm going to want to get a 70-200 soon...

...not that i'd use these lenses for street work (well, POSSIBLY the 24-70). Can't wait to couple it and my 50mm 1.4 with the d700. Looking forward to seeing your shots once you get a d700 too - will be interesting to see how things change. Any movement on getting hold of one by the way?

Soldato
OP
^^^
Hey snow patrol, yeh I just can't resist FF any more, I wanted to try and wait for a D800 but I think a D700 will be more than enough for me, I also don't care too much about depreciation, as I don't 'plan' on selling it.
I managed to agree a price of £1250 for a D700 with 2,692 clicks on the clock, and am just waiting for my D7K to sell before I can go test it out (to make sure it's working 100%) and then hand over the cash.
I plan on using it with my 24 50 & 85mm primes, and I will be selling my 35mm also, I'v also ordered a MB-D10 in anticipation.

As you will have yours before me, it would be great to hear your impressions of FF.

Just can't wait to fire off a few shot's wide open! :D

Soldato
shall report in once it arrives. Hopefully before the weekend, though i've got a horrible feeling that i'll miss delivery as i'm out and about for the next two days. I'm shooting a burlesque model on friday - will probably just use my d90 as i won't be 'used to' the d700 by then so wouldn't want to risk blowing it, as tempting as it might be. Also, i'll be mucking about with speedlights/umbrellas/reflectors (far from my area of expertise), so chucking a new camera into the mix as well probably isn't such a good idea!

Nice job getting a pretty much mint d700. I too was waiting for the d800, but reasoned that it's unlikely to come out this year and will probably be over £2k...after nothing was announced last wednesday i just decided 'screw it' and sourced a d700.

Good luck avoiding the temptation of getting a 24-70 or 70-200 by the way! I love primes as well, but having tried the two aforementioned zooms...trust me....there's just 'something' about them! :)

edit: got your cf cards and reader yet? Ebay are much cheaper than amazon for the cards by the way.

Soldato
OP
^^^
No, the guy said he would give me a 2gb card to be getting on with when I get the camera, I'm just deciding what size cards to get, to cover weddings etc.

Oh, and the zooms are certainly tempting, but I'll have to wait a while before I have the funds to acquire such glass.

Oh and very sensible idea using the D90 for the shoot btw.

Associate

Mr and Mrs Coles by Andy2580, on Flickr

Lovely couple, they were visiting Bodnant Gardens, North Wales at the same time as I was. Got talking to them, turns out today is their 60th Wedding Anniversary. They like Big Band music - in particular Glen Miller. I asked them if I could take their picture and they were delighted. I took their email address and have sent them copies of their pictures :)

Soldato
OP
Stranger-portrait-project0433.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom