The Predator (2018)

Soldato
When he's able to write/direct the film He wants, without studio interference, he makes some extremely good films like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang etc but his "big" movies like Iron Man 3 and Predator just never seem to land well.

Caporegime
When he's able to write/direct the film He wants, without studio interference, he makes some extremely good films like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang etc but his "big" movies like Iron Man 3 and Predator just never seem to land well.

Iron Man 3 made silly money at the box office.

I personally think it's under-rated. It was much better the second time I saw it, and there was about a 3 year gap between me seeing it at the cinema and sitting down to watch it at home.

Soldato
Maybe now folks will stop putting Shane Black on a pedestal, he gets far more praise than he deserves.
he entirely deserves the praise for some of the stuff he's done, but everyone one effs up sometimes, doesn't mean you negate everything he's done in the past. i have no idea how much of this direction was stipulated by the studios, or co writers/directors/whoever, but i'd be more than willing to be that the next proper/solo SB script will be back to standard.

Soldato

I personally think it's under-rated. It was much better the second time I saw it, and there was about a 3 year gap between me seeing it at the cinema and sitting down to watch it at home.

Yeap, it made over a billion, yet if you ask most Iron Man fans the general response is that it's the worst of the 3 IM films despite its Box Office, which was my point about it not landing well. I still re-watch the original as it's so good yet I think I've only seen IM3 once.

I'm sure Predator will also make millions yet "the fans" generally don't like it that much, just the same as Iron Man fans and IM3, but that doesn't means it'll not make money, it's just not got any shelf-life - I mean in 20 years time will people still be re-watching this film like we do with the original today (which only made $220 million adjusted for inflation)? My guess would be a resounding No despite how much money it makes in the short term.

[General Rant]
It's the same for all these big franchises, where the modern versions only makes money in the short-term but have no ability to keep pumping out money year after year. I mean people still quote Arnie lines, know character names etc from the original and keep rebuying the latest version on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, 4K Blu-Ray etc yet, if you asked 100 normal cinema goers who watched The Predator to name Boyd Holbrook's Character Name 2 days after seeing it, I bet the vast majority couldn't. This movie has no "impact" on people, it's a filler and nothing more and thats why it'll be forgotten about within a year, there's no substance to it so, while it will make money in the very short term, it's a dead-end for the franchise despite the "sequel bait" ending.
[/General Rant]

Soldato
Yeap, it made over a billion, yet if you ask most Iron Man fans the general response is that it's the worst of the 3 IM films despite its Box Office, which was my point about it not landing well. I still re-watch the original as it's so good yet I think I've only seen IM3 once.

Batman V Superman also made over a billion, it's not exactly a great movie.

I'm not outrightly saying Shane Black is bad, i'm just saying he gets undue praise when he's done a handful of good things, hell, I was actually chuckling at a large portion of The Predator and not just at the bad parts ;)

Caporegime
Hopefully not a repost but I quite like his reviews (still watching this)...

Edit - sorry forget he can swear on occasion but it's GeekyGlassesTV.

:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
What a lot of nonsense that movie.

Boring, predictable, cheesy.

Human saving predators? WHAT!?! The kid getting a job. This is like a poor budget 80s sci-fi that makes less sense. The ending!! :D :D

The film should've been kept simple with a little bit more of an explanation. The Predators need a better hunting ground, so they send a 'suit' or whatever to humans for a better 'sport'. Que some soldier/whoever getting the suit and kicking ass. No stupid kid, or alien dogs, or a bunch of 'hilarious' outcasts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bad films that are corny and/or unintentionally funny are one thing but this film is total ****. I saw this with my Odeon Limitless card, who hated it as well, and I feel like I deserve a free month it was that bad.

Even your Odean limitless card hated it? Jesus it must be bad.

Soldato
It's hard to find words for this. From the very beginning there's a complete absence of "mind" which runs straight through to the end, like the person making the decisions doesn't understand how humans think and feel. It's unbelievable.

Caporegime

I liked #3 better than #2, which I personally thought was the weakest one.

Having said that I'm not sure the IM films are as good as the other Marvel films. A full 1/2 of all the scenes are just a close-up of Downy Jrs face overlaid with green text. Seriously! A bit lazy.

Soldato
I watched this last night just because I was curious to see if the big predator actually wanted to "upgrade" himself to have autism after watching a dissection of the film on youtube

was not disappointed

I just don't understand how these script writers manage to have jobs as script writers because they're really not very good

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I enjoyed it, didn't take it self too serious and some real funny belly laugh moments.

6/10

Worth a watch to switch off for 2hrs or so.

Soldato
It's okay but plot holes, crap directing work evident through out and that ending just no the last line was just no.

Best I can say is it passed time, 3/10

Back
Top Bottom