The Python Walkthrough Thread

Associate
OP
when it's ready I would imagine ;)

Pretty much bang on, I don't want to release a half baked tutorial. I have been very busy in the past fortnight and I have not had much time to work on it. Its in a thread format so I (and others) can fit it around our lives. Some uni deadlines have passed and things seem to be settling down now and I am writing it up now. If all goes well, should be out the door in a couple days. I am committed to this thread and I have not abandoned it.

I have managed to get it planned out in my head so its easy to follow.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there,

Count me in. I'm just going through stage two on an Ubuntu 11.10 x64 VM.

I've installed Python3 from aptitude (don't know what flavour 32/64bit) and I've downloaded Aptana (I normally use Anjuta) and have it running, however, I have found that auto configure defaults to Python 2.7.

I have manually selected it /usr/bin/python3.2 but I wanted to ask whether I should use the Python Interpreter that I have just set up?

When I have okayed the interpreter preferences the interpreter is set to Default, rather than the one I just set up. I have selected my manually created one and that seems to work nice.

So, I have completed phase two.

P.S. For those that typed python, or python3 into the command line, the way to exit from python to get back to the command line is by typing 'quit ()' without the apostrophes.
I only know this from playing about with django :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have manually selected it /usr/bin/python3.2 but I wanted to ask whether I should use the Python Interpreter that I have just set up?

When I have okayed the interpreter preferences the interpreter is set to Default, rather than the one I just set up. I have selected my manually created one and that seems to work nice.
Depending on how and where it's installed, the default will generally still be 2.7 and the autoconfigure tool may not pick up 3.2. As long as it's working in the shell and you can get it going manually, as you have, then everything's likely fine.

P.S. For those that typed python, or python3 into the command line, the way to exit from python to get back to the command line is by typing 'quit ()' without the apostrophes.
Unix: Ctrl-D
Win: Ctrl-C
Will also exit python and return to the prompt. Bit easier.

Soldato
no, nothing has really happened past phase 2 and it's very simple. Just post when you've done it and Rich will add you to the list when he has a spare 2 mins :)

Associate
Can't wait for part three.

And for those of you who are just discovering this thread, I'm fairly sure this is created so that anybody can join at anytime and just catch up in their own time.

It isn't a race :)

Soldato
Well done Rich43, just shows what a great forum this is and the wealth of knowledge exchanged.

Quick question > Is this guide aimed at people with the PI device? If so, have they reached a realistic price now?

Soldato
Well done Rich43, just shows what a great forum this is and the wealth of knowledge exchanged.

Quick question > Is this guide aimed at people with the PI device? If so, have they reached a realistic price now?

This doesn't really have anything specifically to do with the PI, it's just python programming in general :)

Plus, it'll enable Rich to ask for help on any projects he might be working on ;)

Back
Top Bottom